Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90D speed limit 90 ml/h

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have model X 90D 2016. Can someone explain to me why my car is limited to 90 mph when according to the specs the maximum speed should be 154 mph. I have to be honest - I have not yet tried to drive over 90 mph but would like to know why this limit is on the car. A picture is attached. As you can see the speed can only be limited downwards.
74692DA3-8F55-49E6-9637-0EE80922562E.png

I have model X 90D 2016. Can someone explain to me why my car is limited to 90 mph when according to the specs the maximum speed should be 154 mph. I have to be honest - I have not yet tried to drive over 90 mph but would like to know why this limit is on the car. A picture is attached. As you can see the speed can only be limited downwards.
That is the limit for autopilot/autosteer (for FSD Beta the limit is 85). You can drive faster than that if you want, but autopilot is not responsible.

Reactions: abalexab
Very strange, but neither the program nor the car says anything about autopilot. Just "speed limit mode". Extremely misleading if this is indeed the case. If anyone has more information on this menu item, I would be very happy to know.

In your first screenshot, the switch isn't activated to limit the speed limit, so the software shouldn't limit the maximum speed of the vehicle unless you turn that switch on.

The max speed limit function shouldn't have anything to do with Autopilot or FSD as those features already are limited to 85 mph or 90 mph (depending on the vehicle hardware).

I did check our cars in the app and all of them allow us to increase the maximum speed limit up to 120 mph.

Very strange, but neither the program nor the car says anything about autopilot. Just "speed limit mode". Extremely misleading if this is indeed the case. If anyone has more information on this menu item, I would be very happy to know.
I don't think it is strange at all. Autopilot w or w/o autosteer only works on mapped highways and city streets. It also honors (reacts to) posted speed limits on those highways, by actually reading the signs. The highest posted speed limit in the US is 85 mph. Most places are 70, 75 or 80. You are welcome to go 100 mph or faster, but it is entirely on you to provide the piloting skills.

In my area, the posted maximum is 70. I can configure the car to go +10mph or 10% over the limit. So on road trips, I generally drive at 80. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

would like to know why this limit is on the car.

The feature you mention from your Tesla app screenshot was implemented with firmware version 2018.24 as a result of a tragic accident of two 18-year old teenagers in Florida. It is meant to tame the acceleration curve and top speed of the vehicle as a safety measure for inexperienced or young drivers.

As you can see from your Tesla app, you can turn this feature on or off at your will. It doesn't mean it's on all the time.

You can find out more about this and other great safety features of your 2016 90D Model X in the Owners Manual.
Screenshot_20230323_091708_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The feature you mention from your Tesla app screenshot was implemented with firmware version 2018.24 as a result of a tragic accident of two 18-year old teenagers in Florida. It is meant to tame the acceleration curve and top speed of the vehicle as a safety measure for inexperienced or young drivers.

As you can see from your Tesla app, you can turn this feature on or off at your will. It doesn't mean it's on all the time.

You can find out more about this and other great safety features of your 2016 90D Model X in the Owners Manual.
View attachment 920536
Thank you for such detailed explanation. Just want to clarify -
1. if it’s not enabled my speed and acceleration will not be limited?
2. I didn’t pay attention to acceleration when it was enabled, but if speed limit is active this reduces acceleration as well?
3. Manual mostly adopted for new cars (I found lot of difference between manual and actual car). For my model top limit is 90 - not 120 as manual say.

Thank you in advance for your response.

In your first screenshot, the switch isn't activated to limit the speed limit, so the software shouldn't limit the maximum speed of the vehicle unless you turn that switch on.

The max speed limit function shouldn't have anything to do with Autopilot or FSD as those features already are limited to 85 mph or 90 mph (depending on the vehicle hardware).

I did check our cars in the app and all of them allow us to increase the maximum speed limit up to 120 mph.
“I did check our cars in the app and all of them allow us to increase the maximum speed limit up to 120 mph.” Where did you see this in menu? My max limitation is 90 (as you see on my screenshot).Any directions or screenshot will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for such detailed explanation. Just want to clarify -
2. I didn’t pay attention to acceleration when it was enabled, but if speed limit is active this reduces acceleration as well?
3. Manual mostly adopted for new cars (I found lot of difference between manual and actual car). For my model top limit is 90 - not 120 as manual say.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Acceleration is not affected by any speed limit you apply. That is a separate setting, from which you can choose Chill, Sport, or Insane (or Plaid if you have one).

The owners manual is pretty good. It is updated frequently, usually a couple times per year. But it depends on software and how extensive any changes are. The entire car can change pretty dramatically with new firmware, sometimes requiring a new owners manual. You can also perruse the release notes on the console in the car.

“I did check our cars in the app and all of them allow us to increase the maximum speed limit up to 120 mph.” Where did you see this in menu? My max limitation is 90 (as you see on my screenshot).Any directions or screenshot will be greatly appreciated.
In your second picture, you show that you can adjust the speed limit but only make it lower. On that screen, I have arrows going both directions up to 120 mph.

There's also an option in the car to limit speed. Check there and see if you have the same 90 mph limit.

tempFileForShare_20230324-070536.jpg

1.- Correct.
2.- It changes the throttle mapping of the accelerator pedal. In short, it puts the vehicle in Chill mode in addition to limiting the top speed.
3.- It's quite hard for Tesla to keep up with all the hardware changes it does on its factory lines, so it's owner's manual has to be more generic than other brands.

Some quick examples that come to mind of these changes are the Active Spoiler or the push-pull buttons used on the second row seats to operate the falcon wing doors, or the gloss black seat backs, or the tree mono-post second row seats... they are all gone for 2017 onwards models, even though they are all non-Palladium vehicles (they have the vertical screen) and they share the same Owners Manual.

I have arrows going both directions up to 120 mph

This is interesting...
I have a February 2017 Model S and a May 2019 Model X Raven...

On the 2017 Model S, I can only set the maximum speed limit to 90 mph, just like @abalexab, but on the 2019 Raven, I can set the max speed limiter to 120 mph :oops:.