Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Actual MCU2 Upgrade from MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several other threads about the infotainment (MCU2) upgrade that Tesla has announced will be available for vehicles made before March 2018. I would like this thread dedicated to the following questions for Model X owners with MCU1:
  • Have you received an email invitation from Tesla to do the upgrade?
  • Have you made an appointment?
  • Have you had the upgrade done?
If yes to any of those, please specify your configuration (e.g., P90D, 100D), whether you have AP2 or AP2.5, whether you bought FSD, and where you live.

I am a 100D, AP2.5 owner with FSD in Pennsylvania, and although the March 2 announcement said my configuration is “scheduling now” my service center said I’m not yet eligible.

We do. We get a SC receipt via email every time we visit for work. What are you doing wrong?

No idea. I end up manually emailing myself the receipt from the app before I pick up the car. I had them resend an email the first time, which I got, but every subsequent visit, I’ve failed to get an email after service, but luckily emailed myself.

I wish the app or account would let you access past history/visits.

Sorry, took this off topic

Back to the original question, I only had the initial email we all had and was waiting for the additional invite email. 2017 Model X 100D, MCU1, AP2.5, FSD purchased. Our local service center is the Tysons Corner-Tyco Road service center in Virginia. I finally got tired of waiting and just scheduled the upgrade in the app. For background: we also have a 2018 MX 100D with MCU2/AP2.5 and after waiting a long time last year for the AP3 upgrade invitation, I just blindly scheduled both cars in Dec. without the invite. Tesla took the 2018 MX and did the AP3 install, and cancelled the 2017 MX appointment because "hardware wasn't available yet" (really the software for MCU1). It's because of that experience that I decided to just go ahead and schedule. After an initial wrong estimate that didn't have the upgrade on it which I turned down, they came back and texted asking me to confirm that I was OK with the cost. Lo and behold, they're going to do both the MCU upgrade and AP3 install this Friday.

I'll circle back here once it gets done.

Reactions: Bigriver
Follow up. Dropped my car off Friday morning (Tysons Corner-Tyco Road service center in Virginia) at 8:30AM for the MCU2 and AP3 install. To my surprise, the car was ready by 2PM that day. Works as advertised. Two issues to clean up, though. They cracked a trim piece while installing. They let me know right away by text when it happened. They didn't have the part on hand, but had already scheduled mobile service to come to my house later to replace it. It's not super obvious so no big deal. I later also discovered that I can't unlock the car or open the truck/frunk remotely using the app. Everything else works as it should from the app, so I updated the mobile service notes to let them know. From what I've seen online, it means that they didn't load a certain cert when they did the install. Again, not a big deal as long as they fix it when mobile service comes.

Akikiki, that's what I thought and contacted Service about it today. After chatting online and sending emails to the local SC, they came back with the "Remote Security Detector" needed to be reset. Although I asked for it, they only offered mobile service to take care of it. Since I already had an appointment for next week, they're going to do it then. Not sure if remote is actually possible any more, or if something changed in the security structure within the vehicle to remove that capability. I didn't push since the key fobs still work of course, and remote unlock is more of an occasional convenience for me. Fixing it next Tuesday is fine. Certainly something in the future for anyone having any sort of MCU change to check before they leave the SC, though.

GNFO, First, thanks for the reply. You know Tesla's comment makes sense if you think about how they have upped their security of late. Coming to you, checking you out, even if only verifying your home address is where the car is, without even mentioning it to you that they are in fact checking you, is a wise action on their part. These days, someone could stand next to a car and call them and smart-talk their way into someone's car. Maybe not, buy Tesla likely has a reason for sending someone out versus just do it remotely.

And again, thanks for suggesting "Certainly something in the future for anyone having any sort of MCU change to check before they leave the SC, though." I have an appointment tomorrow, at the SC, for the MCU Infotainment Upgrade. Something like this is on my list to check before I leave for home. I know I am one of the first at my SC for this upgrade, so me checking is helping everyone.

Reactions: GNFO
Mine is a 75D (delivered Dec 2017), MCU1+AP2.5 and FSD purchased. Did not receive the invitation mail but requested the infotainment upgrade+HW3 from my phone app on March 19. Received confirmation from the Syosset, NY SC a few hours later to bring the car in for the upgrade on March 23. This followed shortly by a service agreement to be signed digitally. The agreement had 2 order items: 1) Infotainment upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 - $2500+tax; 2) Upgrade to HW3 - $0. Brought the car in yesterday morning and it was ready first thing this morning. Instead of a loaner car the SC gave out Uber vouchers. Looks like both the touch screen and the IC panel were replaced. Everything seems to work as expected. There was no need to reprogram the garage door remote. However all Bluetooth devices had to be reconnected. The WiFi connection is much faster (5GHz vs the old 2.4GHz). As soon as I checked for software update the car started to download a map update. There is also no issue with the the control functions on the app (unlock door, open trunk, etc.). Overall a very smooth process and no surprises.

• Informative
Reactions: GNFO and pilotSteve
For my experience on the settings: after the MCU upgrade, just about all the settings were lost: Bluetooth, garage door, individual driver profiles, navigation favorites, and the few internet browser favorites I had saved (not many because it was so lousy under MCU1!) So a little bit of a pain to reset all those. The saved streaming stations were the only things that remained. Really wish there were a way to save and transfer profiles between our two cars.