Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Aluminum Corrosion & Pitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any one here with a 2016-2017 Model X that does not show spoiler corrosion and only handwash the car?
On my 2017 X there is a small area of roughness, see photo which makes it look worse than it actually is. Hard to see except at certain angles. I’m not going to do anything about it, as it is pretty minor

Isn’t the spoiler plastic, not metal? If so, “corrosion” may not be the correct term.

Attachments

• 0A6C67E9-C056-455D-8897-834723A66B5C.jpeg
    0A6C67E9-C056-455D-8897-834723A66B5C.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 94
Generally speaking alu + salt + humidity = corrosion and it's really hard to avoid it. Heck I've got an old Specialized alu bike frame that has corroded in the area that was subjected to years of body sweat and drippage from water bottles. The surface of the alu may corrode but it actually leaves a protective layer, ie it won't corrode more than that top layer. Keep chlorine away as that will break down the top layer and you'll have to reseal. The down side to the corrosion is it looks ugly when appearance is a key aspect.

The rear spoiler corrosion will eventually expand into the easily visible areas around the brake light. It did on my Model X and it certainly degrades the look of the car.

This week Tesla replaced my spoiler, including a new brake light. A body shop needed to paint the new upper spoiler part. All look good now.

Replacement ist not covered by warranty, but Goodwill. Happy with the service I received.

Mine is just horrible the entire spoiler is starting flake off, I was in the dealership for brakes and talked to him they said there is nothing they can do and that I am SOL and with attitude. It looks horrible on a brand to have paint flaking off their car its these little things that cause me to reconsider being such a cheerleader for the brand.

My wife is due for a new vehicle I was going to pickup a Model S for her but not sure.