Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. 2 months in, and not really getting wh/mile anything like you guys. My driving style is average and mostly freeway with some suburban travel too. That said I'm average high 400's even early 500's.

75D on 22's. I calculate that if I charge to 90% that I run about true 145mile range....

This can't be right, can it?:(

Hey all. 2 months in, and not really getting wh/mile anything like you guys. My driving style is average and mostly freeway with some suburban travel too. That said I'm average high 400's even early 500's.

75D on 22's. I calculate that if I charge to 90% that I run about true 145mile range....

This can't be right, can it?:(
Combine all the cold we've been having around here lately with the 22's and it sounds about right.

Something that might help lower that is making sure you charge and run the heat while still plugged in to your home connector in the morning or before leaving work (if possible).

One thing I noticed was that when my swapped compressor lines were fixed, and my AC went from screaming jet to normal, my consumption went down significantly, especially in very hot temperatures.
@ohmman, you were absolutely right on. My car just came out of service and they found swapped compressor lines, just as you said. Of course, here in Massachusetts in January, it will probably be awhile before I can test noise and consumption on the A/C!

Given that some have asked I thought I'd give a few more details of the usage of our S, old X, new X...

Our 2013 model S P85 with 19": (54,000 miles)
lifetime: 292 wh/m
summer: 260-280 wh/m (over a month)
winter: 290-320 wh/m (over a month)

Our first X, P90D signature with 20": (3,000 miles)
lifetime: 354 wh/m
(Mostly during April 2016 but did include a ski trip)

Our second X, 75D with 20": (10,000 miles)
lifetime: 300 wh/m
in Summer we were getting 300wh/m due to the new tires (first 600 miles were 316 wh/m)
in October we were 280 wh/m
in November for the first 2 weeks (commute only, total 300 miles) was 235 wh/m (as posted earlier) but then we went to Tahoe and drove through a snowstorm... so we ended November with 1500 miles at 295 wh/m.
in December we managed 325 wh/m due to cold weather and another Tahoe trip.

• In general our X75D does amazingly well on my commute... which was 13 miles of max 35mph (but now I've switched to 8 miles of max 35mph with no traffic lights). The D helps a lot and the increased air resistance doesn't hurt much at low speeds. At low speeds the X75D is as efficient as an SP85.
  • When doing freeway driving the X75D is worse than an SP85 but maybe only by 10wh/m.
  • The XP90D does seem to have 40-50wh/m more usage than the X75D.
  • My wife now generally uses the S (whereas I was the one usually driving the Tesla when we only had one). She seems to be using about 20wh/m more than me due to increased HVAC usage and more freeway driving.

Given that some have asked I thought I'd give a few more details of the usage of our S, old X, new X...

Our 2013 model S P85 with 19": (54,000 miles)
lifetime: 292 wh/m
summer: 260-280 wh/m (over a month)
winter: 290-320 wh/m (over a month)

Our first X, P90D signature with 20": (3,000 miles)
lifetime: 354 wh/m
(Mostly during April 2016 but did include a ski trip)

Our second X, 75D with 20": (10,000 miles)
lifetime: 300 wh/m
in Summer we were getting 300wh/m due to the new tires (first 600 miles were 316 wh/m)
in October we were 280 wh/m
in November for the first 2 weeks (commute only, total 300 miles) was 235 wh/m (as posted earlier) but then we went to Tahoe and drove through a snowstorm... so we ended November with 1500 miles at 295 wh/m.
in December we managed 325 wh/m due to cold weather and another Tahoe trip.

• In general our X75D does amazingly well on my commute... which was 13 miles of max 35mph (but now I've switched to 8 miles of max 35mph with no traffic lights). The D helps a lot and the increased air resistance doesn't hurt much at low speeds. At low speeds the X75D is as efficient as an SP85.
  • When doing freeway driving the X75D is worse than an SP85 but maybe only by 10wh/m.
  • The XP90D does seem to have 40-50wh/m more usage than the X75D.
  • My wife now generally uses the S (whereas I was the one usually driving the Tesla when we only had one). She seems to be using about 20wh/m more than me due to increased HVAC usage and more freeway driving.
Were you able to drive up till the rated range (~237 mile) on the 75D for one charge? I have a 60D and today I did a full charge which gives me 201 mile range. I drove for 96 miles with 90% highway and the usage is 290 Wh/mi and got 101 miles left. I'm very glad with the result as I was only getting about 155 miles per charge when driving mostly local.

Lifetime miles is about 680 with 355 Wh/mi average.

I've had the car for about 5 weeks. For the first month, I seemed to be able to get 300-325 Wh/mi. On January 17, I got a software update. For the next 75 miles or so, I couldn't get less than 375 Wh/mi. Then, today I got another software update. I went for a test drive and got 321 Wh/mi. Are they messin' with my head or what?

~1300 miles 90D (AP2) @ 492 Wh/mi with 22" wheels. Delivered about a month ago.

This doesn't seem right — I live on a hill but my lifetime consumption seems to be about 15-20% higher than other folks are reporting here for the same equipment and it's not been extraordinarily hot or cold here. I don't really hoon around on the road, either. Will add this to the list of issues and questions for my first SC visit.

This doesn't seem right — I live on a hill but my lifetime consumption seems to be about 15-20% higher than other folks are reporting here for the same equipment and it's not been extraordinarily hot or cold here. I don't really hoon around on the road, either. Will add this to the list of issues and questions for my first SC visit.
What's your average speed and commute?

About 8 miles each way, half surface street stop and go, half freeway stop and go. I suppose if I were going 50 miles each way on divided highways the overall average consumption might be more in line with other folks here.
Your tires are just getting broken in now too. You should start to see it drop.