Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Battery Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having a 220 mile rated range on my X75D after a 100% charge (from discharging to <5%), I took my car into the SC. I had had an issue the previous Christmas when the SC left my car on <5% for an extended period of time (to ~2 miles range), but they have now twice confirmed that there I have a clean checkup on the battery modules. However, the SC said , according to notes from the engineers, and after a few people have come in with the same complaint, that the algorithm has changed with the updates, so that the 220 only means that it is more accurate than the original 237 at 100%.

So, then I got out a calculator to see whether it could be that they switched to 72.6 kwh usable capacity from 75kwh nominal capacity. If that's the case, the I have moved from 320kwh as my constant to 330kwh, or a <5% degradation after 15000 miles and 18 months. (Supercharging every two weeks, rarely to 100%).

Comments?

Feel free to tweet Elon to ask. I’m basing it on this article
Tesla to begin Model S, X P90DL to P100D performance upgrade on eligible cars

If I had to guess though, sure they save on material costs. But the cost to ship you a battery, labor to have it installed, remove the old battery, ship it back, disassemble it, inspect it, and then put it back into material reuse, makes up that cost.

Interesting article. I wonder if those costs are the same now that the Gigafactory is operational.

I don't use Twitter and guess Elon won't be either if the board has any say about it.

Reactions: bayx
  • "Model S and X receive 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits annually.
    • For usage above the complimentary annual credits provided, a small fee applies."
So, even if you have free supercharging, it's only for 1000 miles/year? I didn't know this until now, though it would not have impacted my decision. My OA never mentioned this, especially even after the OA knew I do not have Apt-charging!

If you have “Free Supercharging” from a referal or from an older vehicle, then the limit doesn’t apply. It only applies if you have neither of those.

After having a 220 mile rated range on my X75D after a 100% charge (from discharging to <5%), I took my car into the SC. I had had an issue the previous Christmas when the SC left my car on <5% for an extended period of time (to ~2 miles range), but they have now twice confirmed that there I have a clean checkup on the battery modules. However, the SC said , according to notes from the engineers, and after a few people have come in with the same complaint, that the algorithm has changed with the updates, so that the 220 only means that it is more accurate than the original 237 at 100%.

So, then I got out a calculator to see whether it could be that they switched to 72.6 kwh usable capacity from 75kwh nominal capacity. If that's the case, the I have moved from 320kwh as my constant to 330kwh, or a <5% degradation after 15000 miles and 18 months. (Supercharging every two weeks, rarely to 100%).

Comments?

Do you use only supercharging? I am in the same boat, for about 7 months at least, although my Apt management is open to installing charging...not holding my breath.

Was reading posts on MS forum and started to get a little concerned as they seem to think it will accelerate battery degradation.

Do you use only supercharging? I am in the same boat, for about 7 months at least, although my Apt management is open to installing charging...not holding my breath.

Was reading posts on MS forum and started to get a little concerned as they seem to think it will accelerate battery degradation.

No, I supercharge, but typically once every two weeks. Most charging is done at home on an L2 charger.

Reactions: Kacey Green