Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote the Tesla charging team about this and not sure if software updates have adjusted for elevation changes in the trip planner.I am off starting next Friday for two weeks so PM me if in the Okanagan and perhaps we can meet at Mission Hill or elsewhere for lunch.

This developer is looking for data for Model X trip planner.have a look at his site..seen good things written about him,that his app is good
EV Trip Planner
We all can help him by providing the data he needs.

Kelowna has an SC which is never busy. Merritt is getting a supercharger this year per an email I got from Tesla. When I charged the 10% extra in Hope beyond what the app said was sufficient, I ended up in Merritt with warnings that I had to drop the speed to 85 kmh in order to make it over the connector to Kelowna. I was definitely driving briskly between Hope and Merritt but then again my Audi was fine to do the stretch at any speed I felt safe travelling (somewhere between the speed limit and the speed limiter, cough cough). We drove 110 over the connector and made it home with 5% but it was a bit disappointing. I think the range calculations were designed for the S and that the X uses more juice when you are climbing over passes. Hope to Merritt to Kelowna is likely 12,000' of vertical (done it twice coming the other way on my bicycle and that is the number). I wrote the Tesla charging team about this and not sure if software updates have adjusted for elevation changes in the trip planner.

I splurged on the Chademo adaptor so I can top up in some of the non Tesla fast chargers and this will also hopefully extend my range into the Kootenays. There is a station in Merritt currently which has this interface.

I am off starting next Friday for two weeks so PM me if in the Okanagan and perhaps we can meet at Mission Hill or elsewhere for lunch.
I had the same problem with the model S (P85D). This is probably the least efficient S, however.

Happy Monday everyone, jotting down a few thoughts from my Model X weekend adventures.

Supercharger
Went camping this weekend and got to use my first Supercharger station in Squamish. This one was located in a strip mall, and we had dinner while the car got some juice. Wasn't very busy, I was the only one charging. I drove by a few other times as well to get camp supplies and I think I saw at most 2 other Model S' at any given time. Super charging is so fast!

Camping
Car is pretty roomy, didn't miss not having a cargo box on the roof. We brought with us:
  • 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids)
  • 5 pillows
  • 5 camping chairs (2 adult size, 3 kid size)
  • 4 sleeping bags
  • 3 air mattresses
  • 1 tent
  • 1 duffle bag
  • 1 cooler
  • 1 camp stove
  • 1 BBQ stove
  • 1 lamp
  • 1 pump
  • 15 propane bottles
  • laptop, phones, gadgets
  • bags and bags of food and snacks
Used the frunk, trunk, and also all the extra space under the middle row of seats. Was debating on bringing our bikes, but ended up not. If I need to carry more stuff, I'd probably rent a small U-Haul trailer and use my towing hitch.

There were 240v outlets (labelled as 30A) at each camp site, for RVs - so I could have charged there too but didn't need to. The car proved to be very popular for playing music as well as for charging everyone's phone through the weekend :D

Driving
A.m.a.z.i.n.g. The Sea to Sky highway is a beautiful drive and very curvy. My Model X handle the roads easily. Power at the tap of the accelerator. Perfectly poised through the curves, barely any body roll. Did not use brakes, the regen braking slow the car down beautifully. And so so quiet. Every morning I snuck out to get coffee in town just to drive :p

Wishlist
Things move around a lot, and I wish Tesla used more scratch resistant materials. A little less luxury for more durability would be just fine by me. In particular, the inside of the trunk lid would be great if it had that felt/carpet material. Things slam into it all the time when I accelerate :D so something that cushions the impact and doesn't scratch would be great. Also, the leather on the sides of the trunk area got marked up by the cargo.

Pictures / Videos:
Enjoy!

Last edited:
You will have to Parallel park at superchargers occupying more than one space or Unhitch the trailer for charging...good to take lot of stuff

Parallel parking at a supercharger station? Hmm I'll get Internet shamed and keyed for sure :confused::eek:

Will probably just unhitch prior to charging. Also those charge cables don't go very far, so it's necessary to back in. Too bad car won't auto park when there are no other cars around. In fact, I have not found a consistent way to get the autopark button to show up.

Reactions: Paul Carter
image.jpeg
I got chargepoint card, you will have to register on line and the card will arrive in a weeks time , linked to your credit card.
ChargePoint membership?
I looked at the Summerland Chargers and they do not appear to be charge point. They mention a website: www.flo.ca where you can get a membership.

View attachment 185945
I looked at the Summerland Chargers and they do not appear to be charge point. They mention a website: www.flo.ca where you can get a membership.

Thanks! I just signed up for Flo and downloaded their app. They charge $15 for the card, seems a bit pricey considering ChargePoint sends you one for free so I'll stick with only the mobile app for now. Looks like there are 3 stations in Summerland and 2 in Penticton, all of which are free to charge at.

Sharing some more of my Model X problems and resolutions.
  • PROBLEM - The infotainment system started misbehaving.
    Music was chopping up, the interface started lagging and becoming unresponsive. The car started beeping and dining randomly, and it didn't turn off after I parked and took key away.

FIX: Rebooted the dash and infotainment system. Press and hold the top left+right buttons on the steering wheel for 10-20 seconds. Then Press and hold the middle left+right buttons for another 10-20 seconds. The screens will go black and go through a reboot. This resolved the problems.

• PROBLEM: cracked sunroof glass
    The right passenger sunroof glass has a crack that runs the full length. Not caused by a vandal, it's a very symmetrical line that follows a bit of an arc. Water hasn't leaked through, couldn't really tell how deep it goes.

FIX: TBD - brought it to service centre, they took some pictures. They have a new one on order and will cal me in to replace it.

• PROBLEM - 2nd row seat not moving forward all the way.
    The first time this happened, I had the latch warning message. This time, there is no message but the left outer seat in the 2nd row isn't moving forward all the way.

FIX: TBD - getting this checked out next time I go to the service centre. Last time it was caused by a loose cable.

• PROBLEM: Car tells me my key-fob is not in the car when it is.
    Almost every time, I get the warning that the key-fob is missing and that the car won't start without it. I've tried putting the key-fob everywhere, in the charge dock area, in the cup holders. Never seems to register.

FIX: TBD - will ask service centre next time I'm there.
These are minor inconveniences, I don't mind. I'm happy that the service centre takes a genuine interest in helping me resolve the problems, and I look forward to getting a loaner Model S to drive around in :) This is, to me, part of the ownership experience of being an early adopter and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Love my Model X!

Reactions: Jon
Sharing some more of my Model X problems and resolutions.
  • PROBLEM - The infotainment system started misbehaving.
    Music was chopping up, the interface started lagging and becoming unresponsive. The car started beeping and dining randomly, and it didn't turn off after I parked and took key away.

FIX: Rebooted the dash and infotainment system. Press and hold the top left+right buttons on the steering wheel for 10-20 seconds. Then Press and hold the middle left+right buttons for another 10-20 seconds. The screens will go black and go through a reboot. This resolved the problems.

• PROBLEM: cracked sunroof glass
    The right passenger sunroof glass has a crack that runs the full length. Not caused by a vandal, it's a very symmetrical line that follows a bit of an arc. Water hasn't leaked through, couldn't really tell how deep it goes.

FIX: TBD - brought it to service centre, they took some pictures. They have a new one on order and will cal me in to replace it.

• PROBLEM - 2nd row seat not moving forward all the way.
    The first time this happened, I had the latch warning message. This time, there is no message but the left outer seat in the 2nd row isn't moving forward all the way.

FIX: TBD - getting this checked out next time I go to the service centre. Last time it was caused by a loose cable.

• PROBLEM: Car tells me my key-fob is not in the car when it is.
    Almost every time, I get the warning that the key-fob is missing and that the car won't start without it. I've tried putting the key-fob everywhere, in the charge dock area, in the cup holders. Never seems to register.

FIX: TBD - will ask service centre next time I'm there.
These are minor inconveniences, I don't mind. I'm happy that the service centre takes a genuine interest in helping me resolve the problems, and I look forward to getting a loaner Model S to drive around in :) This is, to me, part of the ownership experience of being an early adopter and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Love my Model X!
FYI I get the key fob message too. Very intermittent and for both fobs.

I've only gotten the fob messages once, and it was while I was about to leave the SC on my delivery day! I called them from the parking lot and someone came out. They never explained to me why it happened in my brand new MX, but it did. That's been the only time.
And what did they or you do to get it to work? That'd be very worrisome if I was out the door in a hurry!! We have a baby due in the next 2-3 months and if I can't get the car to start my wife would loose her sh*t! :)

Re: the original list from yz778
The key FOB batteries can be unreliable. I heard a rumour once that Tesla would start producing their own to improve reliability. Also, if you're like me, the fob may get pressed periodically in your pocket which presumably wears down the battery life. There are other issues that can cause this too but in yz778s case, that seems the most likely.
You can use the app to start the car, I've used this often with my S if I can't find my key. You select 'Start' from the controls screen and it will prompt you for your myTesla password and allow you 2 minutes to start driving. Usually if you're having any unexpected FOB behaviour putting it in the armrest cupholders will help.
I had a latching issue that seemed to be cleared with a restart.

My issues:
I had an issue where the FWD would not close, I got "obstacle detected". I fixed this by forcing it closed using the touchscreen, similar to forcing it open if it is detecting an option. I think you can also do this from inside the car using the internal switch. Once it had closed completely I did not have the problem anymore. I think elsewhere people have talked about holding the internal switch for a period of time to ensure it is re-calibrated but I did not have to do this.

Auto Closing all the doors accidentally!!!! I've seen other people complaining about this but I think I must have the record for number of times I've closed the doors on myself and my wife, so much so that she won't be under the FWD unless I prove to her I don't have the key in my front pants pocket. I've probably done this at least 5 times, possibly closer to 10. Apparently the position in my pocket (for my height) is perfect if I lean into the back of the car and various other places. I know not everyone has this problem but I think they need to make the auto close all doors feature a bit harder than a single push on the part of the FOB that is easiest to press accidentally. I might have to design a special case for the FOB in the meantime, or maybe wear it around my neck of something.

Reactions: Jon