Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto Closing all the doors accidentally!!!
I almost got my right hand fingers squashed, was lucky to barely get them out before the door closed with a bang, The front door closes fast and hard, it closed on me due to accidental single click., since then we have made some strict rules and we follow it as a family.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mengshen®-3-Pack-Blocker-Shielding-MS-PX01/dp/B00QIEX04K
These pouches must have saved me multiple times, they have two pockets... i put the fob into the biege pocket and the X cannot detect it. A bit of a hassle but better than going to ER with broken fingers.

How are you guys accidentally auto closing the door? Hasn't happened to me (yet).

I keep the fob in either my breast pocket under my iPhone or in the jeans' site pocket.
I usually have it in my front right jeans (or shorts) pocket. If I lean up against the car while loading the trunk or putting a kid in the side, the FOB will often be pressed. Other things can cause this too.

1) Try new fob batteries , if the fob is communicating with your car it drains the fob battery. I keep my Fob in the RFID pouch.
https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-CR2354-lithium-Battey-

IS the Windscreen replacement under warranrt???

Will look into an RFID pouch, was meaning to get one for my credit cards anyways. The FOBs are only a month old, so hopefully it's not a problem with draining. I get the message probably 25%-30% of the time when I drive, I always reach down to make sure my key is there but otherwise I just ignore it now.

Sunroof is under warranty, SC is waiting for the parts. I'll ask them to check the FOB too when I'm there.

ps: your link was cut off, but I found this pouch on AliExpress, if you can wait 3 months for shipping:
Signal Blocker Canvas Pouch RFID

Auto Closing all the doors accidentally!!!! I've seen other people complaining about this but I think I must have the record for number of times I've closed the doors on myself and my wife, so much so that she won't be under the FWD unless I prove to her I don't have the key in my front pants pocket. I've probably done this at least 5 times, possibly closer to 10. Apparently the position in my pocket (for my height) is perfect if I lean into the back of the car and various other places. I know not everyone has this problem but I think they need to make the auto close all doors feature a bit harder than a single push on the part of the FOB that is easiest to press accidentally. I might have to design a special case for the FOB in the meantime, or maybe wear it around my neck of something.

YES! This happens to me all the time! The keys are usually in my front pocket, and if I'm loading something into the car it accidentally bumps and all the doors start closing. I now know to recognize the distinctive beep when doors close and run for my life when it happens :eek: LOL!

But seriously, it's too easy to depress that top button. And all the doors and trunk close so it's dangerous. Tesla needs to take note and change the design, someone can get hurt. Little fingers and heads could get squished. I'd recommend making it a double press or triple press.

Last edited:
I never thought it would happen to me, but I accidently closed the rear hatch on myself at Canadian Tire yesterday, loading a propane tank. Unfortunately, an employee was collecting my slip and saw the whole thing. My pants were very baggy and it has never happened before, but this time I also had my gargantuan iPhone in the same pocket and the two pressed up against each other. I need to remember to keep the key in it's own pocket.

Luckily, I heard the beep and quickly realized what happened.

I never thought it would happen to me, but I accidently closed the rear hatch on myself at Canadian Tire yesterday, loading a propane tank. Unfortunately, an employee was collecting my slip and saw the whole thing. My pants were very baggy and it has never happened before, but this time I also had my gargantuan iPhone in the same pocket and the two pressed up against each other. I need to remember to keep the key in it's own pocket.
Luckily, I heard the beep and quickly realized what happened.

My daughter experienced a nudge:eek: from the rear hatch and she thought I did it on purpose and she went DADDDDDDYYYYYY!!

Got my first electricity bill from BC Hydro since taking ownership of my Model X. I'm billed every 2 months, and this cycle's total bill came to $282.22. BC Hydro charges a higher rate (Step 2) after 1350kWh and this cycle is the first cycle I've had a significant Step 2 charge, so I attribute that to charging.

__________2015________ 2016
May____$138.94______$146.19
July___$126.05______$282.22
($133 / 1071 kWh at Step 2 rates)

I've driven about 4300KM for that billing cycle, and let's call that $130 due to charging. So that's roughly $0.03/KM to drive my 7 passenger 3.3 second 0-60 rocketship :cool:.

This is completely unscientific, don't try to pick apart the bad math :p. This also includes all the free EV charging I've used in the city, at the supercharger station. But still, it's fair to say this costs maybe 10x less than when I was fueling up my Honda Pilot. Not too shabby!

Attachments

• BCHydroBill.png
    BCHydroBill.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: SSD420
My daughter experienced a nudge:eek: from the rear hatch and she thought I did it on purpose and she went DADDDDDDYYYYYY!!
Today I accidentally opened a FWD as I was preparing to leave a parking lot. The FOB was in my right jacket pocket and I managed to lean on it somehow. I think I might have to invent something to make this FOB less easy to activate. I never really had problems with the S but then there were less automatic doors to open/close accidentally. I'm assuming a single press on the roof of the FOB would close the trunk hatch but I can't recall if I've ever shut it on myself.

Today I accidentally opened a FWD as I was preparing to leave a parking lot. The FOB was in my right jacket pocket and I managed to lean on it somehow. I think I might have to invent something to make this FOB less easy to activate. I never really had problems with the S but then there were less automatic doors to open/close accidentally. I'm assuming a single press on the roof of the FOB would close the trunk hatch but I can't recall if I've ever shut it on myself.

Try this silicon rubber case from Amazon. I takes more effort to double click the door button. Never had a issue..... so far.
Amazon.com: Topfit Silicone Car Keychain for Tesla Model S P85d (Black): Automotive
It works with the MX key.

Reactions: yz778
Try this silicon rubber case from Amazon. I takes more effort to double click the door button. Never had a issue..... so far.
Amazon.com: Topfit Silicone Car Keychain for Tesla Model S P85d (Black): Automotive
It works with the MX key.
That looks pretty cool, and I can color code my key and my wife's so when one is missing we know who to blame :) Do you ever carry your key in a front jeans pocket?
I think the ideal key cover would be one that is relatively rigid but has openings above each button. To press the buttons your finger is actually pressing the FOB surface through the opening.

That looks pretty cool, and I can color code my key and my wife's so when one is missing we know who to blame :)
Exactly.. works for me.
Do you ever carry your key in a front jeans pocket?
Yes but my jeans aren't really that tight and I avoid bending over.. too much like work
I think the ideal key cover would be one that is relatively rigid but has openings above each button. To press the buttons your finger is actually pressing the FOB surface through the opening.
TESLA has leather key sleeve (made for Model S but MX key fits) but the key has to be taken out to access the buttons.

Exactly.. works for me.

Yes but my jeans aren't really that tight and I avoid bending over.. too much like work

TESLA has leather key sleeve (made for Model S but MX key fits) but the key has to be taken out to access the buttons.

I have the leather sleeve but it does not stop me from randomly opening/closing doors. My idea for a design is that the cover would be slightly more rigid than this but would have holes cut where the actual buttons are.

For completeness it appears that Abstract Ocean has the same basic silicon protector and they have one specifically for the X. I noticed in one of the threads that a representative from Abstract Ocean was suggesting that "TopFit" had copied their design. Don't know if this is true but they are very similar. I know someone local who has the S version so I'll see if it will work for me before I order any.

Has anyone else noticed how much more you're driving with a Tesla? :D

Maybe it's summer, but I've driven a lot more than I can remember. We take our MX on drives up to Cypress Mountain's High View lookout mid week, going over the Lions Gate Bridge at night and crossing back over the Second Narrows Bridge. We're driving all around town without a worry about gas prices. Such a nice feeling!

I absolutely love hills, there is so much power going up and it's such an awesome experience to not have to touch the brakes when coming down. Went to Buntzen Lake today and there are sections that are very steep. No problem at all for my MX, zipped by every other car on the climb including a lambo. I honestly can't imagine going back to driving an ICE vehicle. I'd be complaining about the noise, or the lack of power, or the need to hit brakes among other things.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed how much more you're driving with a Tesla? :D

Yes, agree completely. I was driving about 1100Km/month in my truck, and I am now almost three times that. Of course, having a car my whole family can fit into allows for day trips we have been looking forward to for some time, and we are making good on that plan now.

Enjoying this car.

Jon

Reactions: yz778