Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The center console thing in the Model X is super annoying. Important things (wallet, keys) keep getting stuck in between the 2 sections, and it's takes some finger gymnastics to fish anything out.

Has anyone figured out a good solution to keep things from getting stuck in there? Will take a photo next time in case you're wondering what I'm talking about :D

So, last night for ****s and giggles I priced out a Model S60D with no options except for autopilot and winter package. Then I did the same for the X60. To my surprise, the X was only $1000 more. I was like "I thought the X was supposed to be $5K US more than the equivalent S." At $1000 more it's really a bargain.

The center console thing in the Model X is super annoying. Important things (wallet, keys) keep getting stuck in between the 2 sections, and it's takes some finger gymnastics to fish anything out.

Has anyone figured out a good solution to keep things from getting stuck in there? Will take a photo next time in case you're wondering what I'm talking about :D

The centre console design is a bit of a fail. Anything you leave in there with the lid closed in the phone compartment slides forward and under. My prescription sunglasses or my keys for example. The first time they disappeared out of there it took me 5 minutes to realize they had fallen out the front crack and were on the dirty rug. Who designed and allowed a storage container where closing the top invisibly opens the front? Some Tesla employee is trolling us here.

How many cans of expandable spray foam do you think I need? :rolleyes:

S

The centre console design is a bit of a fail. Anything you leave in there with the lid closed in the phone compartment slides forward and under. My prescription sunglasses or my keys for example. The first time they disappeared out of there it took me 5 minutes to realize they had fallen out the front crack and were on the dirty rug. Who designed and allowed a storage container where closing the top invisibly opens the front? Some Tesla employee is trolling us here.

How many cans of expandable spray foam do you think I need? :rolleyes:

S
Don't even joke - you just know someone will try it!

I've been using the medium sized ziploc freezer bags. One for all my keys (I use a ton on a regular basis for work) and a second one for random clutter.

Every so often I get stuff stuck in that infamous no mans land between the sections and an forced to remove sections of the cup holder to fish it out.

If anyone else (neatly) solves it, I'll buy it! :)

The whole design of the console boggles my mind. We are reduced to using foam pipe insulation or putting our keys in plastic baggies? Really?

I had mine for only a week the first time I lost something from the cubby because it slipped out the front. I presume Tesla has prototypes that they drive for a while before finalizing design choices. Someone did a dumb design here, their boss okayed it and the test drivers were so mesmerized by the huge windshield that they did not notice their glasses and keys sliding all over the floor.

The only time the compartment has useful boundaries is if it is open. It is only open if I have my phone slotted in there. If the only purpose for that compartment was to hold the phone on the charging nub then why not make it fit the phone like a sleeve so I don't have to line up the lightning connector 4 times before I can get it to click in. The size of the compartment invites its use for storage and the fact that closing it lets everything slide out the front is such a pathetic fail it is almost funny.

I frankly think Tesla should consider fixing this with a retrofit. And they should send the designer's resume to the competition. Using freezer bags or foam insulation to address this is not the answer.

S

PS: Still love this car - but this struck a nerve with me :D

I've been using the medium sized ziploc freezer bags. One for all my keys (I use a ton on a regular basis for work) and a second one for random clutter.

Every so often I get stuff stuck in that infamous no mans land between the sections and an forced to remove sections of the cup holder to fish it out.

If anyone else (neatly) solves it, I'll buy it! :)
That's funny. I have a zip lock back in there too and a rubber bland holder my various cards (ironically many are points cards at GAS stations!!)

Reactions: SSD420
The whole design of the console boggles my mind. We are reduced to using foam pipe insulation or putting our keys in plastic baggies? Really?

LOL, quite the passionate rant. It does seem a bit odd that we are reduced to bags and foam in a 150K car.

I second the suggestion that Tesla does redesign or retrofit. I'd pay for something remotely useful. Keeping an eye out for after market options.

Re: the original list from yz778
Auto Closing all the doors accidentally!!!! I've seen other people complaining about this but I think I must have the record for number of times I've closed the doors on myself and my wife, so much so that she won't be under the FWD unless I prove to her I don't have the key in my front pants pocket. I've probably done this at least 5 times, possibly closer to 10. Apparently the position in my pocket (for my height) is perfect if I lean into the back of the car and various other places. I know not everyone has this problem but I think they need to make the auto close all doors feature a bit harder than a single push on the part of the FOB that is easiest to press accidentally. I might have to design a special case for the FOB in the meantime, or maybe wear it around my neck of something.
Looks like Tesla provided a fix of sorts for this problem. In 7.1 2.30.61 they have added an option to turn off the door closing with single button press feature. In my case, I best leave it off but I would really like to be able to use the feature if they could provide it in a way that I won't keep "pocket closing" the doors.
IMG_2430.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Jon and yz778
f the only purpose for that compartment was to hold the phone on the charging nub then why not make it fit the phone like a sleeve so I don't have to line up the lightning connector 4 times before I can get it to click in.
PS: Still love this car - but this struck a nerve with me :D

That nub drives me insane. I don't even bother with it anymore. I keep an iPhone lightning cable in the car and just use that with the USB. It's so much more useful. I can actually use the phone and I don't struggle trying to get it onto the nub after being forced to take my phone out of its protective case.

I love my car nonetheless too. Unfortunately today is day 7 without my car. It's still at the service centre. :(

I do however currently have a loaner Model S P90DL. Ludicrous was fun to play with, but I miss my panoramic windshield. The small part of roof actually makes me feel like my vision is obstructed. To top it off, the Model S isn't roomy enough. I want my "SexXxy" back, now. Now!

@yz778 , remember that list i sent you? That....

My list (please excuse the lack of grammar and spelling. This was merely a personal note on my phone) -

Model X issues :

My hood is too high - there's too much space on the driver side

FWDs - sensing obstacles that aren't there.

Plastic coming off bottom (back passenger side)

Driver window issues
Window doesn't always go all the way up, or goes too far up passed the door
Window is choppy going up or down

Passenger window too tight? Leaves marks on my window

Wind noise from both windows
Driver window doesn't fully close - can feel air coming in and Is loud as f*ck! Was able to stick my finger outside!

latch Where trunk closes - getting worn

Driver door doesn't fully present itself / doesn't always open all the way, even if walking from behind the car. (Double tapping top of fob)

Slacker radio and tunein disappeared
Tune in is back! Slacker captcha error

Occasional rattle loud from between passenger fwd and trunk, sometimes sounds like a rattling can, other times like rattling glass

Can't connect to My car for summon - occasionally. Why?

Paint is coming off the inside of the hood

Passenger side back bumper is coming out

GPS is very laggy. Will tell me turn long after I've turned.

LTE singnal at max bars, still doesn't load my map

Ghosting windshield issue - can deal with it for now, but it's definitely an issue

Air conditioning sounds awfully loud.

Windshield wipers aren't fast enough!

I've never used the little phone charger there, since I have cases on all my phones it doesn't fit.

7 days? What's your car in for?

I'm still waiting for replacement glass for my cracked rear sunroof...

Looks like Tesla provided a fix of sorts for this problem. In 7.1 2.30.61 they have added an option to turn off the door closing with single button press feature. In my case, I best leave it off but I would really like to be able to use the feature if they could provide it in a way that I won't keep "pocket closing" the doors. View attachment 191115
Agreed. I've only pocket closed once (at the SC) but I've got a 2 year old and 3 year old and another coming in the next few days. I can't affording closing on any of them even once so I turned it off but miss being able to close all doors with the fob