Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Car Alarm Going Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One strange thing I noticed is that three nights running, the alarm went off at exactly the same time. 22:25 HKT (14:25 UTC). CCTV showed nothing near the car at that time. Bizarre. Anyway, my car is going in for service tomorrow to have the latch replaced.

Update. Called Tesla on Tuesday, they took me in same day. I arrived at roughly 3:45pm and was out of there with a new latch by 5:30. So far so good. I'll post again in a couple of weeks with another update. Again, took delivery of the car 3/10. So far this has been the only issue.

Leave the driver's window down. Exit the car and lock it. Leave your fob far from the car, so the car won't auto unlock. Go to the car, reach in through the window and open the door using the interior handle. The alarm will sound. Now fetch your fob and double click the top to unlock the car and turn off the alarm.
I just tried this technique...and nothing. The weird thing is most automation was disabled until I pressed the main screen to unlock the car. I couldn't open or close the doors with the push-button handle, couldn't raise/lower windows, etc. Once I unlocked the car, I was able to do a lot more, but for some reason I still couldn't raise/lower windows without the fob being nearby.

No alarm though. Maybe my fob wasn't far enough away? I've put it at the other end of the house. Any further away and it'll have to be outdoors somewhere.

Occasionally it happened to my MX and today extremely often... I called Service Center (Amsterdam, NL) and they said;

"Do you have Model X? Yes, then likely there is a fly in your car, a stray piece of paper/plastic or empty plastic bottle!"

They explained that the intrusion alarm in Model X can be triggered by a very small movement detected by the tilt/intrusion sensors.
I checked the car, just found a cobweb in the FWD window frames... no fly.. but no alarm went off since I cleaned the cobweb.

The service person expects Tesla to change the intrusion sensor sensitivity to allow flies to roam inside a MX without triggering the alarm.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Occasionally it happened to my MX and today extremely often... I called Service Center (Amsterdam, NL) and they said;

"Do you have Model X? Yes, then likely there is a fly in your car, a stray piece of paper/plastic or empty plastic bottle!"

They explained that the intrusion alarm in Model X can be triggered by a very small movement detected by the tilt/intrusion sensors.
I checked the car, just found a cobweb in the FWD window frames... no fly.. but no alarm went off since I cleaned the cobweb.

The service person expects Tesla to change the intrusion sensor sensitivity to allow flies to roam inside a MX without triggering the alarm.

Yeah, I had my alarm go off a couple of times for no apparent reason, then found a small spider had made a home inside. No problem since the eviction!

In my case it was a mosquito! I went to check the car after the alarm went off in the garage, as soon as I opened the door I saw a mosquito flying around the intrusion sensor :D

My new 2019 Model X had the alarm go off in my office parking lot yesterday, and again today, right after parking it from a lunch break. I was not close enough to hear it, but have the notification on my phone. I will have to see what stray molecule may be unaccounted for and flying around my cabin. Seems the system may be a tad to sensitive.