Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Cargo Carrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it's rated 500 lb tongue weight. I'm half that and only slightly further out than ball location. Works great.

The standard hitch is only rated for 120 LB unsupported. If you are pulling a trailer w wheels on the ground it can support 500, but only 120 for a box w no support. You are going to break something.

From the manual...
Carrying Accessories
The Model X towing package has a 2" hitch receiver that can support an accessory carrier.
The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.

Last edited:
The standard hitch is only rated for 120 LB unsupported. If you are pulling a trailer w wheels on the ground it can support 500, but only 120 for a box w no support. You are going to break something.

From the manual...
Carrying Accessories
The Model X towing package has a 2" hitch receiver that can support an accessory carrier.
The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.
Thanks. This is because bicycle carriers are way further out. As are other things. They are just stating a value they are confident in for a wide range of things. This is a simple statics/dynamics problem and I am much closer than a bicycle carrier. Less moment arm.

Reactions: shrfu31
Thanks. This is because bicycle carriers are way further out. As are other things. They are just stating a value they are confident in for a wide range of things. This is a simple statics/dynamics problem and I am much closer than a bicycle carrier. Less moment arm.

Thanks alot. Between you and another user, I am totally convinced. I went for the Stowaway Max with the swingaway arm, roughly 100lbs by itself. It should be here on Tuesday!

Has anyone tried out the Rola 59109 cargo box? It's got a swing arm and the box is lighter weight (30lbs), but I cannot find the weight on the swing frame (yet!).... Rola Swinging Enclosed Cargo Carrier for 2" Trailer Hitch Rola Hitch Cargo Carrier 59109

I need to get something ordered, but the Stowaway worries me with the weight. I want to lean towards a swing arm to let the dogs out, but also in the even that you have a Supercharger which requires you to swing it.

I'm also looking at the Thule 665c, which is overall lighter than the above options, but does not swing and therefore no flexibility.