Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was just published in the Mountain View Voice: Driver identified in fiery Tesla crash Same text in SFGate. No mention of his employer. Does list him as a resident of San Mateo instead of Foster City. The article pretty much stated what I've already read or seen in the news as far as the accident goes. Have to assume it was supported by eyewitness testimony. Don't know if we will ever know the exact why. Very tragic and so sorry this was the outcome for him and his family.

Last edited:
As far as the 'fix the roads', I see no problem with that road based on videos. If you are blinded by the sun, slow down. If you are confused, slow down. There is no law that says you must drive faster than it is safe for you. In fact, there is a rule that's the opposite. I'm not saying to lock up your brakes, but to give up some velocity when visibility or road markings are poor.
One other thing I would like to add is that car safety crashes are simulated at 35 mph (50 km/h) "head on" collisions and might be performed at slightly faster speeds (40 mph) - these are typically half the speeds of what the traffic flow on a freeway is (I am being conservative here). So, a 5 star safety rating might give people a false sense that they are perfectly fine regardless of road conditions.

The cushion device might have not been repaired after the previous mishap, but I am sure they are not designed to absorb an impact of a vehicle traveling at full speed either.

Regardless, this is a terrible accident. My condolences to the family...

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and MXWing
One other thing I would like to add is that car safety crashes are simulated at 35 mph (50 km/h) "head on" collisions and might be performed at slightly faster speeds (40 mph) - these are typically half the speeds of what the traffic flow on a freeway is (I am being conservative here). So, a 5 star safety rating might give people a false sense that they are perfectly fine regardless of road conditions.

The cushion device might have not been repaired after the previous mishap, but I am sure they are not designed to absorb an impact of a vehicle traveling at full speed either.

Regardless, this is a terrible accident. My condolences to the family...

Good point on the test speed, but I am still having trouble understanding the destruction of this Model X unless Tesla purposely designed the front as breakaway structure like some of the race car designs. Even if the speed reached 100mph+, I am having a hard time understand how the front end can shear off rather than fully compressed.

Good point on the test speed, but I am still having trouble understanding the destruction of this Model X unless Tesla purposely designed the front as breakaway structure like some of the race car designs. Even if the speed reached 100mph+, I am having a hard time understand how the front end can shear off rather than fully compressed.

My interpretation:
The barrier is narrower that the X so much crush damage. Then, after deflecting off the barrier, the X was hit by another car, possibly at a 90 degree angle cleaving off the damaged front end and leaving the debris pile in the other lane.

Drove by the other side of 101 this morning ~10:30am, and saw some workers repairing the cushion device there. I think I saw a new one on a flatbed, so the one that was hit w/o reset probably couldn't be repaired anymore. Also saw a few other guys working separately before the split location, not sure what.
I drove by on the southbound side at about 12:45pm on Monday after the crash. Both southbound HOV lanes were closed along with the HOV flyover ramp. Several CalTrans trucks were present and workers were removing the old cushion device. I did not rubberneck long enough to see if they had new new hardware on site. Evidently they are taking this issue seriously now that there has been a fatality.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
For those that regularly drive by this area, might be worth mentioning in this thread if you see it collapsed again. I am curious how many times a year this "protective" barrier is hit. I would think a certain number of times and with regularity would warrant a look at maybe a redesign of the area. From discussions here I think there were a lot of great ideas put forth on how to possibly improve the safety in the area.

• Helpful
Reactions: RedOctober
At the least I can't understand why they can't install some of these in front of each of these cushion devices.

Seems dumb not to use them given that they are very cheap, makes lots of noise, and will compel a driver to take action with their vehicle in tact as soon as they hit a few of these. Then the cushioning device can be used as a last resort and I bet they will be replacing a lot fewer cushion devices if they places a dozen or two of these in front of each cushion device.

Sometimes a low tech high visibility approach is better than a fancy cushioning device.

Bollards_waiting_in_a_pack.JPG

Reactions: X Fan and krouebi
Good point on the test speed, but I am still having trouble understanding the destruction of this Model X unless Tesla purposely designed the front as breakaway structure like some of the race car designs. Even if the speed reached 100mph+, I am having a hard time understand how the front end can shear off rather than fully compressed.[/QUOTE

Any structure is just as strong as it's weakest link. It's not the first time we have heard vehicle split into half after hitting pole, fire hydrant or head on collision. I don't believe it's intentional for Tesla to design a break away the entire front section.

From one video, the mazda 3 stopped 3 lanes from the left barrier about 3 cars ahead of the Tesla, majority of the front end debris landed on the second lane, but the mazda 3 damages was not major and only limited to the right front fender side (hood is slightly popped) If it actually clipped off the entire front end, I expect the damage to the mazda will be much more significant. It's possible majority of the front end is already lose and the mazda just clipped it or the debris hit the mazda rather than it hitting the tesla.

Can you pick a different car you would have preferred to be in under those same conditions or any other crash?

I would have to do some thinking but I'm curious how a Volvo XC90 would hold up in a similar situation. I haven't read all the posts in the thread but I didn't hear of other injuries the driver had besides burns. If there were no burns/burning then I wonder if the driver could have been capable to open the rear door to evacuation a child from an accident. On that note, I understand the falcon wings door are extremely heavy to lift in the case of no power which is a concern.

Ever considered he might be too young to drive ;-)

Unfortunately, its just sad and concerning all around.

1. Lol! :D
2. Indeed :oops:

I haven't read all the posts in the thread but I didn't hear of other injuries the driver had besides burns. If there were no burns/burning then I wonder if the driver could have been capable to open the rear door to evacuation a child from an accident.

I don't think the driver was burned at all. The fire didn't really get going until after passer-bys got him out of the X. He was unconscious and bleeding when they got to him.

I would have to do some thinking but I'm curious how a Volvo XC90 would hold up in a similar situation. I haven't read all the posts in the thread but I didn't hear of other injuries the driver had besides burns....

I haven't read anywhere that the injuries sustained by the driver were burn injuries. What I understood is that, a good samaritan (or two) stopped and pulled the guy out of the car BEFORE it caught fire. They couldn't have really pulled him out if car was already on fire...