Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design Studio - Canadian prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Model X pricing is very disappointing. I've been really looking forward to putting in my reservation for the X (I'm waiting for my house to sell...). I really don't understand the reason the price differential between the S and the X is so great. I can't imagine there would be any more import duties or other costs that much greater for an SUV vs a sedan. I am fortunate in that I would be able to pay the higher price if I wanted to, but there is no way on this planet I am going to drop that kind of money. I believe in paying for value and the premium of being an early adopter but I detest being ripped off and will go to great lengths to avoid it.
Welcome to the group! Why not consider an inventory Model S? They are the best deal right now, but going fast.

And if you haven't had the chance to ride/drive an MS, I can certainly arrange to help you out with that...!

Welcome to the group! Why not consider an inventory Model S? They are the best deal right now, but going fast.

And if you haven't had the chance to ride/drive an MS, I can certainly arrange to help you out with that...!

Thanks for the offer. I test drove the Model S a couple of months ago in Vancouver. It was a P90D with Ludricrous and Autopilot and it hooked me on Tesla. I did not like the rear seat head room however despite having the panoramic roof. The X looks like it has lots of room for growing kids and all the stuff we have to pack around. Maybe Tesla is just testing the market with the higher prices for the X.

Thanks for the offer. I test drove the Model S a couple of months ago in Vancouver. It was a P90D with Ludricrous and Autopilot and it hooked me on Tesla. I did not like the rear seat head room however despite having the panoramic roof. The X looks like it has lots of room for growing kids and all the stuff we have to pack around. Maybe Tesla is just testing the market with the higher prices for the X.

I don't think they're testing the market. The X cost a fortune to engineer and produce and they have enough orders for now to meet what they can produce. Plus, it was claimed they sold the S for too little compared to cost, so perhaps they are trying to avoid that:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-teslamotors-cash-insight-idUSKCN0QE0DC20150810

I have 3 kids (granted they are girls and not that tall) but we use our S a lot and we often pack a lot of stuff when going from South Surrey to our lakehouse in Tulameen. You can really fit a lot in the trunk and the funk (non-awd frunk has more space), while having 5 people inside. I did still keep my Tahoe Hybrid though for towing my boat, and for winter driving on the No. 3. I bought before the AWD came out.

I don't think they're testing the market. The X cost a fortune to engineer and produce and they have enough orders for now to meet what they can produce. Plus, it was claimed they sold the S for too little compared to cost, so perhaps they are trying to avoid that:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-teslamotors-cash-insight-idUSKCN0QE0DC20150810

I have 3 kids (granted they are girls and not that tall) but we use our S a lot and we often pack a lot of stuff when going from South Surrey to our lakehouse in Tulameen. You can really fit a lot in the trunk and the funk (non-awd frunk has more space), while having 5 people inside. I did still keep my Tahoe Hybrid though for towing my boat, and for winter driving on the No. 3. I bought before the AWD came out.

Tesla will sell many more X's in the USA than Canada, so why is the price there not proportionately higher than the S if the development costs were proportionately higher? I don't think hosing relatively few Canadians and selling the X at a loss in the USA is their strategy to solve cash flow issues.

Tesla will sell many more X's in the USA than Canada, so why is the price there not proportionately higher than the S if the development costs were proportionately higher? I don't think hosing relatively few Canadians and selling the X at a loss in the USA is their strategy to solve cash flow issues.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I don't see Tesla as "hosing" Canadians. I think it's just the way it worked out with the S being released when our dollar was at par. Then our dollar tanked but we didn't get a price hike all at once. Rather, they've done the hikes in price slowly, meanwhile our dollar continued to lose ground. When the X was released, there was no price adjustment needed like they've been doing with the S. And taking account the 6.1% duty on the X, and the exchange rate, it's my understanding that the X is comparatively priced with the US. So we're not being hosed. We're just not getting the same break as the S which actually sells for cheaper in Canada than the States, at least for now, until they adjust the price again.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I don't see Tesla as "hosing" Canadians. I think it's just the way it worked out with the S being released when our dollar was at par. Then our dollar tanked but we didn't get a price hike all at once. Rather, they've done the hikes in price slowly, meanwhile our dollar continued to lose ground. When the X was released, there was no price adjustment needed like they've been doing with the S. And taking account the 6.1% duty on the X, and the exchange rate, it's my understanding that the X is comparatively priced with the US. So we're not being hosed. We're just not getting the same break as the S which actually sells for cheaper in Canada than the States, at least for now, until they adjust the price again.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

You're welcome. If you haven't seen this, a bunch of CPO cars are arriving in Vancouver (actually not even CPO, many are brand new):

Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla Motors Canada

I've inquired about them since I am looking to upgrade for autopilot. The new ones I priced out were about about $7 - 10k less than if ordering new from the factory (depending on which one) and, like Beeerock says, another price hike is suppose to be coming (I've heard in April). They might be something you may wish to consider.

Simple math: base P90X is selling 115,500 USD in states. with exchange rate 1.33, 115,500x1.33x1.061=162,831 what is listed here? 171,800 CAD, you still don't think Tesla is hosing Canadian?

Last edited:
besides, why 6.1 duty? It is a NAFTA car, shouldn't it be duty free?

The batteries are made in Japan and make up more than the allowable limit for foreign amounts. That's why the gigafactory in Nevada will change that.

Simple math: base P90X is selling 115,500 USD in states. with exchange rate 1.33, 115,500x1.33x1.061=162,831 what is listed here? 171,800 CAD, you still don't think Tesla is hosing Canadian?

You proved me wrong. Indeed, we are getting hosed.

The batteries are made in Japan and make up more than the allowable limit for foreign amounts. That's why the gigafactory in Nevada will change that.

You proved me wrong. Indeed, we are getting hosed.

seems like they are using a rate of about 1.4. Maybe whomever set this up used the Travelex rate? 1.4 is close to the highest point in the last year though admittedly this was in January 2016 (aprox 1.45). I guess if they did an average over the last 3 months? The only other explanation I've heard is that this pricing includes the next price increase - which might also explain the higher differential to the model S price. Whatever the case, Canadians are getting uniquely crappy pricing for the X.

Has Tesla gone completely MAD with Model X Canadian Pricing? Elon said that the price difference between the Model S and Model X would be $5000. As base Model S 70D is $101,900 and a base Model X 70D is $119,000 Thats a difference of $17,100

Add in some options and the difference is over $30,000

A fully loaded Model X is about $260,000 CDN including TAX!!!

? The only other explanation I've heard is that this pricing includes the next price increase - which might also explain the higher differential to the model S price. Whatever the case, Canadians are getting uniquely crappy pricing for the X.

^^^
If this is the case, then Canadian Production holders are the only one getting this special treatment. It really does not make any sense that a production X is more expensive than a SigX in Canada

Has Tesla gone completely MAD with Model X Canadian Pricing? Elon said that the price difference between the Model S and Model X would be $5000. As base Model S 70D is $101,900 and a base Model X 70D is $119,000 Thats a difference of $17,100

Add in some options and the difference is over $30,000

A fully loaded Model X is about $260,000 CDN including TAX!!!

Would be cheaper to buy an apartment in a US city, buy the car there and register it and then bring it home...keeping the registration in the States....rent out the apartment.

The Canadian pricing is not worth buying the Model X . This is my opinion after the test Drive in Vancouver. Shocked to see that a Demo car which was supposedly fixed had issues. I felt i would be regretting after spending 180,000/- I am sure i would after talking to Tesla service there.

The Canadian pricing is not worth buying the Model X . This is my opinion after the test Drive in Vancouver. Shocked to see that a Demo car which was supposedly fixed had issues. I felt i would be regretting after spending 180,000/- I am sure i would after talking to Tesla service there.
Would you mind going into a bit more details? What were the issues? What was your experience like talking to Tesla service there? I'm doing a test drive in Toronto this Friday, but tomorrow is my last day to change/cancel my order with no penalty.