Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X design studio is here! What to expect for Model S?

Are you waiting with your Model S purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one is saying they are hiding anything with the photos. Actually from the photos you can already tell of some interesting features like the lack of an A pillar and how the same piece of glass essentially goes over your head like you would in an airplane. We also know of the cooled seats and I'm sure the cooled seats will also be offered in the Model S.

What some are saying is that the Model X will have more advanced features that they are not divulging now mostly because they don't want it to affect current Model S sales.

It is almost guaranteed that the Model X will have ver. 2.0 Autopilot sensors and that alone is a big deal. Also I would be completely shocked a modern SUV like the Model X would lack 360 degree view as I'm sure that's a feature many owners with families will appreciate when they park and maneuver what is a quite large vehicle. The Model X might also have a better audio system and possibly a faster CPU as well.

The bottom line is they are keeping a bunch of toys and goodies for the reveal so they can make a big splash. It might take months for these new features to eventually appear in the Model S but sooner or later they well.

Agree with you on all points ----- well said.

Agree with you on all points ----- well said.

I think the only sure-thing is there is something special about the lights. They have been covered up without exception. Something is there ... all this other stuff has limited value from keeping secret. If it has a 360 camera, you would think this would be listed right alongside the cooled seats. Why keep that secret? And the Autopilot 1.0 sensors aren't even operational yet, if it was my production effort, I would keep the parts equal/lower cost until fully actualized. Why expect 2.0 equipment so fast?

All guesses.... we will know soon. The car is amazing, jaw dropping without all these must-haves. The processor is fast NOW, the auto-pilot will have lane keeping and self park NOW, the seats rock.... and that roof and falcon doors. They don't need more to sell out the first 40,000 units, IMHO.

Agreed 100%. I don't see an update to the AP sensors for 2-3 years at least.

Bet.jpg

There has been talk that the current set of sensors isn't adequate (which is why many Autopilot features have been delayed). Many X mules and even an S has been spotted with upgraded sensors (rear radar, additional cameras, etc.) I am hoping these will be on the X when it is released. There's no need to specifically mention a newer set of sensors in the Design Studio as they would probably be standard and only enabled if the Autopilot package is purchased.

I didn't say it's impossible, I'm just saying I don't see it happening.

There's no reason to release new hardware to accomplish what was promised for AP 1.0. Why release new hardware for AP 2.0 when the software development is going to lag years behind?

Also, what exactly will AP 2.0 give you? The ability to change lanes without you using the turn signal? The ability to become autonomous on the highway (Level 3), that's at least a handful of years away.

- - - Updated - - -

There has been talk that the current set of sensors isn't adequate (which is why many Autopilot features have been delayed). Many X mules and even an S has been spotted with upgraded sensors (rear radar, additional cameras, etc.) I am hoping these will be on the X when it is released. There's no need to specifically mention a newer set of sensors in the Design Studio as they would probably be standard and only enabled if the Autopilot package is purchased.

There has been talk that the Model X will have all these new ground breaking features, too. It's a forum. People talk and speculate. I believe the hardware is adequate to do most if not all of what they promised. I don't see any limiting factors.

360 degree camera is not an AP sensor, it's a parking aid. I can 100% see them rolling out 360 degree sensors soon.
Rear radar is an AP sensor, I can see them rolling that out sooner rather than later, but I have my doubts it'll be on the Model X (how would you tow?). What exactly will it give besides better blind spot monitoring?

No one is saying they are hiding anything with the photos. Actually from the photos you can already tell of some interesting features like the lack of an A pillar and how the same piece of glass essentially goes over your head like you would in an airplane. We also know of the cooled seats and I'm sure the cooled seats will also be offered in the Model S.

What some are saying is that the Model X will have more advanced features that they are not divulging now mostly because they don't want it to affect current Model S sales.

It is almost guaranteed that the Model X will have ver. 2.0 Autopilot sensors and that alone is a big deal. Also I would be completely shocked a modern SUV like the Model X would lack 360 degree view as I'm sure that's a feature many owners with families will appreciate when they park and maneuver what is a quite large vehicle. The Model X might also have a better audio system and possibly a faster CPU as well.

The bottom line is they are keeping a bunch of toys and goodies for the reveal so they can make a big splash. It might take months for these new features to eventually appear in the Model S but sooner or later they well.

I was referring to comments, for example, that the actual dashbord appearance isn't being shown yet. Or that images are placeholders. Specifically comments that what we see is going to be different from what we get.

I don't doubt there will be minor upgrades like possible LED lights or a 360 degree camera, but I disagree that they're concerned about cannibalizing Model S sales for an approximately two week period. Any concerned and educated buyer will be in wait see mode right now, waiting for the full reveal.

There has been talk that the Model X will have all these new ground breaking features, too. It's a forum. People talk and speculate. I believe the hardware is adequate to do most if not all of what they promised. I don't see any limiting factors.

With deliveries just a few weeks away, it will be nice to see the final product and end the speculation! :biggrin:

I shudder to think what that windshield is going to cost to replace.

Might that windshield pose a problem in a rollover? It would seem that the driver's head is exposed and unprotected by a metal roof in that area, and glass is certainly softer and less rigid than metal. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Just like those who bought the Model S in 2012 thought there would be no significant changes until 2018... keep thinking that. :) lol

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't say it's impossible, I'm just saying I don't see it happening.

There's no reason to release new hardware to accomplish what was promised for AP 1.0. Why release new hardware for AP 2.0 when the software development is going to lag years behind?

Of course if Model X comes with improved sensors, so will Model S be updated to include those sensors. I don't know why it wouldn't happen. Test mules have already been spotted sporting stereoscopic and multiple front-facing cameras. It's inevitable. The software doesn't need to take advantage of it. There was no software to take advantage of the v1.0 sensors when they were launched. Functionality came weeks or months later.

Wow. Just wow. We don't even need Tesla to spout a bunch of vaporware anymore. We can get ourselves all worked up without any encouragement. There is a lot of wishful thinking going on here folks....

Why on earth would Tesla display something *less* than what they are prepared to deliver in mere weeks. What possible motivation could there be to holding back announcing new features.

What makes you think if they can't yet deliver on last October's feature set that we should expect more soon? What in their track record of over promising suggests this? What did the S reveal mean to new Roadster features?

I'd be much more concerned about the X actually having what *is* shown in the renderings before year end than hopefull of getting more. (Consider the next-gen seat fiasco of last year).

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer here, but "out over our skis" doesn't even begin to describe where we are here...maybe I'm wrong, maybe it *is* different this time, but I rather doubt it.

Just like those who bought the Model S in 2012 thought there would be no significant changes until 2018... keep thinking that. :) lol
There were S buyers in 2012 who believed that there would be "no significant changes" in the S for 6 years? A car that from the start had OTA upgrade capability. I find it hard to imagine that any 2012 buyer could believe that.

Wow. Just wow. We don't even need Tesla to spout a bunch of vaporware anymore. We can get ourselves all worked up without any encouragement. There is a lot of wishful thinking going on here folks....

Why on earth would Tesla display something *less* than what they are prepared to deliver in mere weeks. What possible motivation could there be to holding back announcing new features.

What makes you think if they can't yet deliver on last October's feature set that we should expect more soon? What in their track record of over promising suggests this? What did the S reveal mean to new Roadster features?

I'd be much more concerned about the X actually having what *is* shown in the renderings before year end than hopefull of getting more. (Consider the next-gen seat fiasco of last year).

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer here, but "out over our skis" doesn't even begin to describe where we are here...maybe I'm wrong, maybe it *is* different this time, but I rather doubt it.

Exactly. Elon tweeted the following eight hours ago: "With same options, Model X is $5k more than an S due to greater size & body complexity. Sig Series is fully loaded, hence high price." So, there you have it. It's bigger with a more complex body. I think people need to realize (and be happy) that the Model X in the Design Studio IS the car being released with no major surprises. (Maybe LED lights or a 360 camera... but why not mention those with cooled/ventilated seats?) It seems to me that the X is already at a higher cost than expected. The last thing they need to do is install more expensive hardware when the previous (only 8 month old hardware) hasn't even come close to being utilized.

My personal prediction is that the "big wow" will be demonstrating some cool functionality of the 2nd row seats and it will launch with 7.0 UI.

Based on Elon's other tweet today, we'll see for sure on the 29th.

Wow just wow yourself :rolleyes: You are obviously entitled to your opinion and I stand behind mine. I don't think I suggested anything earth shattering to merit that much of an outburst from you. Seems you are projecting your bitterness over the Autopilot delay into a topic that has nothing to do with it.

This thread is speculative by definition and it has been established for the sole purpose of speculating what if any enhancements we can expect in the Model S. It seems such speculative discourse doesn't sit well with you so I have no idea what you are contributing here...

Elon specifically said on a conference call that he wants to keep some new interior features secret until deliveries start. When you have a 30,000 long waiting list, you don't need to show all your cards at once. Elon described Model X reservations like fish jumping in a boat. They'll want to hold back some excitement for the actual reveal event.

Exactly. Elon tweeted the following eight hours ago: "With same options, Model X is $5k more than an S due to greater size & body complexity. Sig Series is fully loaded, hence high price." So, there you have it. It's bigger with a more complex body. I think people need to realize (and be happy) that the Model X in the Design Studio IS the car being released with no major surprises. (Maybe LED lights or a 360 camera... but why not mention those with cooled/ventilated seats?) It seems to me that the X is already at a higher cost than expected. The last thing they need to do is install more expensive hardware when the previous (only 8 month old hardware) hasn't even come close to being utilized.

My personal prediction is that the "big wow" will be demonstrating some cool functionality of the 2nd row seats and it will launch with 7.0 UI.

Based on Elon's other tweet today, we'll see for sure on the 29th.

People are reacting this way because of expectations that Elon has set. I believe it was this earnings call where he made direct references to improved autopilot hardware in the Model X. He also stated that Tesla "has not shown all [its] cards" this time around and that "there are things you don't know about" that "won't be revealed until the first deliveries." He has also on Twitter alluded to possible hardware alterations to deal with issues that have come up with software (example), so it doesn't seem crazy to me that they'd ship improved hardware soon even if v1 software is not out yet.