Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Email: All Rez holders to configure in 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also didn't get the email, or the invite to the party. Based on good advice here at TMC, I've made sure I haven't opted out of marketing AND spoken to my local Tesla sales reps a few times about getting this fixed. No luck yet, though I have a new guy working on it who's giving me some hope.

My point is, there's definitely something glitchy happening with Tesla's CRM that is locking reservation holders out of the email comms even when they opt back into marketing emails, and I hope someone at TM is reading this, and I hope they'll forward the concern to the right folks to fix it. Because if I miss my invite to configure, I'm going to cry like a little baby and it's going to be super embarrassing.

I wish tesla would just release the design studio already.

There is so much misinformation going around the media with pricing, availability etc. Some clarity would be excellent for the stock price as well as consumer confidence.
I think its because of lack of proper research done by the media. A lot of outlets got the price right and Tesla shouldn't worry about the stock price fluctuations. They should concentrate their efforts on bringing the car in full glory as soon as possible to the people who have been waiting so long.

I received the email as well, and it seems clear they hope to invite all production reservation holders to be able to configure. That said, I don't think it'll be a thing where we finalize. They'll need to hurry up and get some MXs in showrooms and out and about for test drives if they want production reservation holders to commit.

Ohmman --- if you change your avatar, I promise to give you - even if you already have enough - reputation points every day for a week. Your current avatar is FREAKING ME OUT! :smile:

They will open the configuration-UI and when you will build a Performance model, you will have estimate delivery in 3 months, and if you get the 90D, you will see 5-6 months from now. Same trick they did for the P85D/85D, and same trick for first Model-S in 2012

My guess ...

I also didn't get the email, or the invite to the party. Based on good advice here at TMC, I've made sure I haven't opted out of marketing AND spoken to my local Tesla sales reps a few times about getting this fixed. No luck yet, though I have a new guy working on it who's giving me some hope.

My point is, there's definitely something glitchy happening with Tesla's CRM that is locking reservation holders out of the email comms even when they opt back into marketing emails, and I hope someone at TM is reading this, and I hope they'll forward the concern to the right folks to fix it. Because if I miss my invite to configure, I'm going to cry like a little baby and it's going to be super embarrassing.

Go to your profile and make sure you have checked how you want to be contacted either by email or text. I did not get an invite to the reveal until I changed to preference to get contacted by email. I received email this morning

Ohmman --- if you change your avatar, I promise to give you - even if you already have enough - reputation points every day for a week. Your current avatar is FREAKING ME OUT! :smile:

Hey Jimmyjohn. Hopefully this helps. I've turned so that I'm looking directly at the posts, instead of away. I'm sure that was the problem and you'll find yourself fully relaxed now. :wink:

Be sure to post video of that. I'm sure it will be entertaining to some. But this highlights why the forum is important. I didn't see the invitation to the reveal party as it didn't forward from my provider to gmail right away. But once people posted on the forum that they were getting invitations, I checked directly on my provider's webmail system and there it was. I think some other people have said that the invitation ended up in a spam folder (certainly worth checking).

In other words, we'll let you know here on the forum when it's time to configure your X. :)

My Take on Why TSLA Decided to Invite All P Reservationists to Config in 2015

Just got the email today.

I'd predicted early P reservations holders would be invited to configure today - instead we all received the email - still great news! :biggrin: I'm happy I'll have an extra 2 weeks to do more option research, finalize paint and trim, read whatever info the founders and hopefully Sigs like Bonnie, post, etc., so I'll be ready to configure with confidence when invited.

My take on this from the TSLA sales & marketing point of view is this:

1. By inviting all P reservationists to configure by the end of this year, they will know how many reservations are still "real", since configuring indicates a much stronger intention to purchase than a $5K blind deposit prior to the reveal.

2. Many people over the years had to replace a vehicle and couldn't wait due to X delays, or they found another vehicle that offered a better cost-benefit analysis to their personal use cases, etc.

3. It's also partly a response to "seatgate", where there are a number of high-profile Sigs who were understandably very disappointed by not having the option for a folding second row seat. They cancelled or deferred, and who knows how many that aren't active on the forums have done the same? I think the percentage is significant, so TSLA wants to see what the "seatgate" effect is upon Production, too.

4. As someone else pointed out, collecting all our configuration data allows TSLA to optimize parts ordering, build clustering, and delivery planning for several quarters.

5. I predict in 2 weeks when the Production Config is made available to some of us with lower numbers, we will see a Model X 70D, with the caveat that: "Deliveries begin in XXX, 2016." This encourages people to upgrade to a 90D if they want to get their X sooner, without totally turning-off all the customers that want the 70D. The date will be set based upon TSLA's expected ramp and initial demand for the higher-margin 90D, P90D, and P90DL.

Last edited:
how do you know it will be a year before the non P cars are available?

Well, we don't know anything, but Elon tweeted this a few days ago: "something like a 70, but probably around 12 months from now."

He subsequently deleted that tweet and a few others. (The most exciting of them, imho, was that the Model 3 or Model Y -- presumably Model Y -- would have falcon-wing doors, but this one about a Model X ~70 seemed like super useful info... if accurate.)

Last edited:
This make perfect sense from an economical stand point. Tesla can batch seats colors, P90, P90D, and even paint colors; not to mention shipping economies by targeting builds for a given service center and putting all on the same truck. Building cars in order sequence is relatively more expensive. Say Tesla want to get all Bright White seats and not worry about each vehicle that day. They could potentially build a little faster -- everything today has Bright White seats. Same for interior panels, etc.. Having a data base of all the orders makes it a lot easier on the factory.

I completely agree that it makes sense from a batch perspective, but I do think if they don't have sample vehicles spread broadly around the showrooms, they may have a more difficult time getting true statistics. Just having people configuring without committing may give some data to infer from, but to get customers to lock in, I'm guessing there will have to be sample vehicles.

I'm guessing we're going to see some in-store this month, if they start asking the first production reservation holders to configure by November 1st. That should be exciting, if so.

Well, we don't know anything, but Elon tweeted this a few days ago: "something like a 70, but probably around 12 months from now."

He subsequently deleted that tweet and a few others. (The most exciting of them, imho, was that the Model 3 or Model Y -- presumably Model Y -- would have falcon-wing doors, but this one about a Model X ~70 seemed like super useful info... if accurate.)

That makes sense. I was picturing a year's delay for anyone not getting performance, and Production #1 having to wait that long if he/she wanted the 90D. Forgot about the possible 70D/75D next year.

That makes sense. I was picturing a year's delay for anyone not getting performance, and Production #1 having to wait that long if he/she wanted the 90D. Forgot about the possible 70D/75D next year.

Interesting point. Tesla produced only P85D's after last October's dual motor launch. Those wanting the 85D waited until the beginning of the year. That allowed Tesla to build one configuration. If only P90D's will cause me to make a $20K decision. Waiting to find out.

This make perfect sense from an economical stand point. Tesla can batch seats colors, P90, P90D, and even paint colors; not to mention shipping economies by targeting builds for a given service center and putting all on the same truck. Building cars in order sequence is relatively more expensive. Say Tesla want to get all Bright White seats and not worry about each vehicle that day. They could potentially build a little faster -- everything today has Bright White seats. Same for interior panels, etc.. Having a data base of all the orders makes it a lot easier on the factory.

Finally someone nailed it. This is how I (unintentionally) jumped about 1500 spots in line when I got the Model S. Happened to pick the wheels, battery, seats, etc. that they had available. They will optimize for production of as many cars as possible and if your configuration requires a part they don't have right now, your car will wait while they churn out others they can finalize. They need the revenue. (Identical configurations will be done in reservation order of course.)