Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a challenge I'll pose... it occurred to me that in all the video and pictures I'd seen of the Model X, not once were the door handles extended. Never. Not even when doors were being opened-- though I'm not sure how they did it.

So... who can find a picture of the handles extending out? Perhaps we're all falsely assuming this carries over from the MS?

Maybe only the front doors will have it and the Falcon doors will be touch-sensitive only?

Nope. Bought my model S today and the advisor informed me that they received a communication to that effect. But now that you mention it, maybe it was a joke on the staff. He was pretty bummed about it. I guess we will see tomorrow.

Maybe only the front doors will have it and the Falcon doors will be touch-sensitive only?

The Model X Prototype I saw at the Palo Alto Store opening had chrome inserts in the falcon doors. You could see the edge of them, and they were not the same extending door handles, just a piece of chrome set into the door. They looked like placeholder/mockups but I guess they could be touch sensors and simply not extend.

They looked like placeholder/mockups but I guess they could be touch sensors and simply not extend.
Good point - I hope there are still mechanical handles for usability in case of complete power failure or circuit issues; but it is technically possible to do away with the handle altogether. It would be a weird opening swing motion, anyways, and you would only push a door so far up before the fully automated approach had to take over or you had to change the "pull up" stance to a "push upwards"

Yes, it would be very unlike Elon and Franz to go back on the feature that they made the central differentiator to the minivans of today. Falcon Wings FTW.

Having said that, I hope these doors don't end up a bit like the door handles of the Model S, atleast for many early cars. Lots of failures, replacements and a slight redesign a few months in.

Yes, it would be very unlike Elon and Franz to go back on the feature that they made the central differentiator to the minivans of today. Falcon Wings FTW.

Having said that, I hope these doors don't end up a bit like the door handles of the Model S, atleast for many early cars. Lots of failures, replacements and a slight redesign a few months in.

My belief is that the delay in the finalized version is to make sure that does not happen and to try to develop a system so that people can actually carry the skis or other things on top.

We finally made a reservation for the X, with trepidation. the Functionality of the falcon doors is our biggest sticking point, they take away more critical functionality than they provide, at least with the current design. Elon said a while back that they were working on a way to make it possible to put cargo on top of the X, so we are going on his word but will not likely go through with the reservation if the Falcon doors turn out to be a big hindrance to SUV functionality. I'd be fine with a design that limited the functionality of the doors on the occasion that we want to put a cargo box or skis or kayaks or any of the things that people put on just about every other kind of vehicle but not being able to use the roof space like any other car or SUV would go against the grain of standard that Tesla has set with the S. With the S, each design innovation adds style and functionality to make the S a brilliantly versatile vehicle, almost SUV like in capacity. On principle, it just seems like a very bad move for Tesla to produce such a limited niche vehicle when there is such a huge market for a more SUV like version of the S. We have fingers crossed that Tesla finds the right balance between style and functionality and either offers a regular door option or a coach door or somehow makes the falcon doors convertible so they hinge in such a way to allow for full roof rack access. We are sold on so many things about Tesla it would be a shame to have to choose another, lesser brand just to have the functionality that is common to most cars/SUV's.