Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X front defroster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize this may not be very relevant, yet. But I noticed the other day that my X has the full mesh grill on the dash below the windshield that the defroster blows through. When I put the defroster on to try it there didn't seem to be a large amount of air flow. I wonder how it will be in the cold of the winter especially with the massive windshield?
FYI 2012 and early 2013 Model S had the same grill. Tesla retrofitted tradional defroster outlets to alleviate the problem for us. The mesh grill certainly looked better but for us in Canada we noticed a huge improvement once the change was made.

I realize this may not be very relevant, yet. But I noticed the other day that my X has the full mesh grill on the dash below the windshield that the defroster blows through. When I put the defroster on to try it there didn't seem to be a large amount of air flow. I wonder how it will be in the cold of the winter especially with the massive windshield?
FYI 2012 and early 2013 Model S had the same grill. Tesla retrofitted tradional defroster outlets to alleviate the problem for us. The mesh grill certainly looked better but for us in Canada we noticed a huge improvement once the change was made.

How has the front defroster been performing for people? I had my first trip out in the active snow this morning, and the bottom edge of the windshield had a line of ice that didn't seem to get melted by the defroster in the ~30 minutes I was out ... and then the wipers couldn't do a good job of clearing the upper part of the windshield - it would "smear" the ice up....

How has the front defroster been performing for people? I had my first trip out in the active snow this morning, and the bottom edge of the windshield had a line of ice that didn't seem to get melted by the defroster in the ~30 minutes I was out ... and then the wipers couldn't do a good job of clearing the upper part of the windshield - it would "smear" the ice up....
I assume you're aware that you need to tap the defroster button twice to get full power defrost.

My Problem is not the Defroster.
I'm freezing in the car when I'm using the Auto function of the climate control. Even when I'm on Max. Temp.. I have to turn manualy the AC on and augment the fan control to 8 or 9 to get some acceptable Temperatures. The SC doesen't find any problems...:oops:
I'm the only one freezing with Auto climate control? Am I not aware of some double tap? :(

In my X, when I tap once, the icon turns blue and the temperature setting doesn't change. When I tap the second time the icon turn red and the temp setting goes "HI". I'm guessing the first setting is for defogging and the second is for defrosting. Is this what you mean by double tapping?

. Is this what you mean by double tapping?
Yes.
I'm freezing in the car when I'm using the Auto function of the climate control. Even when I'm on Max. Temp.. I have to turn manualy the AC on and augment the fan control to 8 or 9 to get some acceptable Temperatures. The SC doesen't find any problems...:oops:
I'm the only one freezing with Auto climate control? Am I not aware of some double tap? :(
Did you mean turn the AC OFF? My only real issue seems to be the cold feet on the drivers side, but I will admit that to get comfortable I have the drivers side set to 78 and the passenger to 75 or lower. I tried taking it off of Auto and it did not seem to change but I was always bothered with the AC on situation in Auto.

Yes.

Did you mean turn the AC OFF? My only real issue seems to be the cold feet on the drivers side, but I will admit that to get comfortable I have the drivers side set to 78 and the passenger to 75 or lower. I tried taking it off of Auto and it did not seem to change but I was always bothered with the AC on situation in Auto.
Okay, I'm having the same issue. My feet are freezing and I can't seem to get enough heat down there. I had a Seat Hoodie stored under my seat, so I removed it hoping that I would get more heat, but no luck.

In my X, when I tap once, the icon turns blue and the temperature setting doesn't change. When I tap the second time the icon turn red and the temp setting goes "HI". I'm guessing the first setting is for defogging and the second is for defrosting. Is this what you mean by double tapping?
Yes, but this works only for the defrosting, also in my car.

Perhaps I'm on the wrong thread. But my problem is the temperature in the hole car, when driving at freezing outside temperature. I can't use the Auto funktion, when I want acceptable temperatures. That means to adjust all the time the settings manualy (with my wife giving me a hard time criticizing my beloved X :oops:).

Yes.

No, when the climatecontrol is on Auto, the AC is on OFF. On the last drive freezing I played a little bit with the controls and I think when I turn the AC ON the car heats better... Perhaps it's only my imagination....

No, when the climatecontrol is on Auto, the AC is on OFF. On the last drive freezing I played a little bit with the controls and I think when I turn the AC ON the car heats better... Perhaps it's only my imagination....
Who knows. Logic would make you think that AC would defeat the heating but ...

Even then when the humidity is high, even when you want heat, turning on the AC will remove the moisture and reduce clouding.