Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model X has capacity to charge at up to 72A; a single charger, with no option for more.
No more hand-wringing, second-guessing decisions "Single or Dual? Will I ever NEED Dual? Dual or Single?..." at least in regards to X ordering.
For the S... We'll have to see.
And (possibly, technically), a more capable base module from which to build Superchargers? Higher-current Superchargers with cooled cables?

No more hand-wringing, second-guessing decisions "Single or Dual? Will I ever NEED Dual? Dual or Single?..." at least in regards to X ordering.
For the S... We'll have to see.
And (possibly, technically), a more capable base module from which to build Superchargers? Higher-current Superchargers with cooled cables?

So Superchargers might be capable of 720 amps instead of 400 ? there are 10 modules in each as I recall. Is that correct ?

So Superchargers might be capable of 720 amps instead of 400 ? there are 10 modules in each as I recall. Is that correct ?

Superchargers operate independently of the on-board chargers. They use a bunch of parallel chargers -- that said, Tesla may be able to reduce the complexity in the superchargers by reducing the number of charging modules in the cabinets. It may mean they can move to higher power levels out of the cabinets, but that hasn't been announced. It's certainly an enabler!

Superchargers operate independently of the on-board chargers. They use a bunch of parallel chargers -- that said, Tesla may be able to reduce the complexity in the superchargers by reducing the number of charging modules in the cabinets. It may mean they can move to higher power levels out of the cabinets, but that hasn't been announced. It's certainly an enabler!

from another site

"Each unit contains 12 [Model S] 10kW rectifiers for 120kW"

as in they use the same chargers out of a Model S in the supercharger cabinet.

The Model X charger is more KW but it may also take up more space / volume so you might not get as many in the same cabinet.

If you could get 8 or more of the Model X chargers in the supercharger cabinet then yes that will increase the maximum charging rate of a pair of stalls.

I was thinking the opposite. Use 10 72a chargers instead of 10 40a chargers. Enabling faster charging.

Okay, I've been following this thread from the start and I don't recall this question being answered, so forgive me if it has.

I see that the Model-S now only comes with 1 standard on-board charger (40A) and if you wanted the 2nd charger, you have to get it installed at a Service Station.
I hear that the Model-X will only come with 1 on-board charger (60A) and I totally accept that.

Question: Has the rep that provided the above information indicated that you can't get a 2nd 60A charger later at a Service Station (similar to the Model-S)?

I just find it strange that charging times would increase with a new vehicle when everything Tesla has done up until now was to continually decrease charging times.

One really interesting part of this, as mentioned upthread, is that it provides some flexibility for them in Supercharger buildout. Use 2/3 of the charger hardware for the same output, or potentially scale up a bit, depending on the limiting factors in the battery. Also, they could upgrade the Superchargers so that when both stalls are occupied, there's more capacity.

Regardless it'll be interesting to see how these play into that side of the business, if at all.

Sorry, you lost me here.

The onboard charger is by-passed when plugged in at a Supercharger.

Yes, I elaborated on this subject upthread in posting #158.

On another subject, currently Tesla's Supercharger network is built around a stack of the same chargers that it install in its cars, currently 10 or 11 kW each. I imagine that if Tesla decided to introduce 15 kW chargers in its cars that for economic reasons it might likewise begin to adopt them as the standard for new Superchargers. A stack of 8 would accommodate a 120 kW Supercharger. As batteries get larger the charging rate of cars would likely increase. So Tesla could stack say ten 15 kW chargers for future cars that might be able to handle 150 kW. Even though the capacity of a stack of ten 15 kW chargers would exceed the charging capacity of existing Model Ss, it still would provide advantages by increasing the throughput of a Supercharger Station by providing a higher average charging rate during the course of a day. The car's firmware would of course limit the maximum charge rate that it can handle, but having additional capacity at Supercharger Stations would be very helpful at congested or fully occupied stations. In other words, 75 kW of capacity could be delivered to both cars connected to the same Supercharger instead of just 60 kW. (I know that currently Tesla Supercharger firmware doesn't divide the capacity in half, but rather the capacity is shared in 30 kW increments, so it would be 90 kW to 30 kW between cars. If Tesla choose to use 150 kW Superchargers it could be 100 kW to 50 kW between cars. The point is that more capacity would be available to be shared in whatever manner Tesla chose.)

Larry

Okay, I've been following this thread from the start and I don't recall this question being answered, so forgive me if it has.

I see that the Model-S now only comes with 1 standard on-board charger (40A) and if you wanted the 2nd charger, you have to get it installed at a Service Station.
I hear that the Model-X will only come with 1 on-board charger (60A) and I totally accept that.

Question: Has the rep that provided the above information indicated that you can't get a 2nd 60A charger later at a Service Station (similar to the Model-S)?

I just find it strange that charging times would increase with a new vehicle when everything Tesla has done up until now was to continually decrease charging times.

There is no dual-charger option. Model X only comes with a charger capable of drawing 72A. HPWC is required at the 100A setting to charge at 72A (if you have an older HPWC, the 90A setting will work).

There is no dual-charger option. Model X only comes with a charger capable of drawing 72A. HPWC is required at the 100A setting to charge at 72A (if you have an older HPWC, the 90A setting will work).

Thanks. I noticed that the thread changed from 60A to 72A, but I originally missed when that happened. I guess we'll know for sure tonight/tomorrow if these reps got it right. I just wanted to make sure that there isn't some way to gain more charging speed with some after-delivery solution (e.g. a 2nd charger).

Thanks. I noticed that the thread changed from 60A to 72A, but I originally missed when that happened. I guess we'll know for sure tonight/tomorrow if these reps got it right. I just wanted to make sure that there isn't some way to gain more charging speed with some after-delivery solution (e.g. a 2nd charger).

These aren't your run-of-the-mill inside sales folks - this is from one of the key sources for charging. :)

I have no inside information, but I speculate:
Tesla found that dual charger for MS was not a fast moving option. However, with larger battery now for MX and even larger coming soon, they want to make the default on board charger close to dual charger capacity (i.e. 72A vs 80A). I further speculate that the HPWC will generally be of the same construction, but peak capacity limited to 72A instead of 80A due to existing HPWC overheating.

looks like 72A was accurate

charging.jpg

I would hardly consider 60A charging to be crippling the car. It's 50% faster than the standard, and by far the most commonly chosen, charging on the Model S.
You can play with words however you like, but the fact is going from 20kw charging to anything less is called crippling the charging power. An hour + of extra waiting is kind of a big deal. I don't have dual chargers, so it doesn't matter to me, but the choice would be nice for those who need the fastest charging possible. I don't know too many companies that go backwards in technology development.....