Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X head injury

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, none of this is Tesla specific. The sliding doors and automatic liftgate on my Honda Odyssey function exactly the same way, the chance of injury to a small child or inattentive adult is the same, and responsibility/blame falls on the person controlling the vehicle in the same way. Some may argue that the design of the Tesla keyfob makes it more prone to accidental activation but I disagree. Just think of how often someone butt-presses or purse-presses the panic button on their (non-Tesla) car keyfob.

Both my wife and I have been hit by the tailgate on our Model X. The first time I had my Tesla Key Fob in my pants pocket and I was putting stuff in the trunk when the trunk started to close. Obviously the fob had pressed again my pants pocket. The force was considerable.

So I stopped putting my keys in my pocket and clipped them to my belt loop. The the same problem happened again this time my wife was putting stuff in the trunk and I was carrying my cooler to the car. The key fob pressed against the cooler. The tailgate knocked her to the ground.

This is not a Tesla problem but is a problem. I can see there being injuries without addition safeguards. Maybe sensors like there are with a garage door.

Where the tailgate force may not be great for the general community it is an issue for the aged, frail individuals or the young. With all the smarts the Model X has you think they could solve this problem.

In recent firmware, Tesla gave you an option to disable the single fob click close in the settings menu - if you don't use that regularly, you might want to disable it since it seems to be causing you grief.

So the answer is not a blame question but a resolution question - is the Tesla Model X suitable for a family where kids are running around it and acting impulsively? Can you avoid someone in a mall carpark walking behind you whilst you shut the tailgate? Can you expect total strangers to know how the car operates with it's unusual doors when they are used to ordinary car doors? It is not like any other car.
I admire Tesla's brave attempt to go outside the square and prior to my accident thought they were amazing but not the expense of my children or a stranger.
So until the inside dash/sensor system is absolutely perfect - can Tesla just stick to a tailgate button?
A Tesla showroom is not a good example of a real-life scenario. In a Tesla showroom you have multiple groups of people prodding the vehicle, none of them in communication with each other.

In the real world, it's generally 1 or 2 people in control of the vehicle and they're generally in sync with each other. It is much easier to prevent such accidents when it's just 1 (or 2) people in control, since they can be as careful or reckless as they feel necessary.

Both my wife and I have been hit by the tailgate on our Model X. The first time I had my Tesla Key Fob in my pants pocket and I was putting stuff in the trunk when the trunk started to close. Obviously the fob had pressed again my pants pocket. The force was considerable.

So I stopped putting my keys in my pocket and clipped them to my belt loop. The the same problem happened again this time my wife was putting stuff in the trunk and I was carrying my cooler to the car. The key fob pressed against the cooler. The tailgate knocked her to the ground.

This is not a Tesla problem but is a problem. I can see there being injuries without addition safeguards. Maybe sensors like there are with a garage door.

Where the tailgate force may not be great for the general community it is an issue for the aged, frail individuals or the young. With all the smarts the Model X has you think they could solve this problem.

Yep. The same thing has happened to both me and my wife. The key fob closing while in our pocket or purse. I never had this problem in my Model S that I had for 3+ years. Only with the X. Also, it's annoying that you can't set it for auto height so it fully opens. It barely opens even when I have enough room in my garage so you have to constantly manually push it up. I wish they would fix that.

Yep. The same thing has happened to both me and my wife. The key fob closing while in our pocket or purse. I never had this problem in my Model S that I had for 3+ years. Only with the X. Also, it's annoying that you can't set it for auto height so it fully opens. It barely opens even when I have enough room in my garage so you have to constantly manually push it up. I wish they would fix that.
I thought I read in the manual you can adjust the opening height yourself.?

Am I missing something? You should have an option to open fully on the center screen, which is geocoded and persistent, so you should only have to choose it once.

This happened to me today! I really miss being able to put a key fob iny pocket. I think the double press should be for lock, and one press unlock. That way if it's pressed accidentally and doors are open, it would simply flash the lights. I almost shut my wife's friend in the falcon door, have been shut in the tailgate twice, and had foot slammed in front door all because of the key fob issue. I know it can be mitigated a bit probably by turning off the "close all doors" with key fob lock function, but I would miss the convenience.

Same here. We have had a number of hits from with the rear tailgate as well as the FWDs due to the fob getting pushed in my pocket. I had to turn off this functionality completely, which now gives me no option to close the doors remotely with the fob. Why they would make a completely exposed fob button that closes all doors with a single press is a mystery to me. Just make this a triple-click and it would work perfectly and almost never false trigger. This is not something you ever want to do by accident.

Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you get better soon.

In New Zealand we have an amazing system called Accident Compensation Corporation. This has been in place since 1972 and works very simply. Everyone pays a tiny amount of tax to the government and they run the ACC system. It is a no blame system so you cannot sue anyone for an accident. Because as we know everyone has accidents and most are exactly that - just an accident.

"No fault", or ACC, is fine until you're severely injured through the negligence of another, and through no fault of your own, only to find out that you do not get nearly as much in NZ as you do in Canada, and you have to live your life as paraplegic, or worse a quadriplegic. No amount of money can make up for that but the amount you get in NZ is insulting compared to Canada.

However in return, all health costs are completely covered for FREE. For everyone, no matter whether rich or poor. Tax Payer or not. Works perfectly and Healthcare is therefore not really an issue here.

You're mixing apples and oranges. We also have government run health care in Canada, much the same as you have in NZ, but it has no relation to your "no fault" accident scheme. More importantly, it's not "FREE" in NZ or in Canada. We pay for it the same way you do. It's called taxes. However, in Canada when someone is injured through the negligence of another, the tortfeasor's insurance company has to pay the costs incurred by the government for health care services, and not the taxpayer. In BC, we call that legislation the Health Care Costs Recovery Act. I prefer that to having my taxes pay for it. Do you know it's the Insurance Institutes that often test vehicle safety, make recommendations for safer products, etc.? No need for that with the NZ system. Insurers are off the hook.

I love NZ. My wife is from there, we met in Greece nearly 30 years ago and she moved to Canada to be with me but we've spent many holidays there. It's never lost on me when visiting how so many things in NZ are just accidents waiting to happen because no one can sue. What got me the most was how narrow the sidewalks are on busy roads, like in Orewa where my brother-in-law had an apartment on the beach. I remember when my kids were small herding them away from the road side of the sidewalk as cars zoomed by within a few feet. On busy roads like that in Canada we have an extra space beside the sidewalk that acts as a buffer zone. I shook my head at how that narrow sidewalk was allowed (you can't sue the City, shame), as we went to the playground that had dangerous tires on steel posts that swung around while little kinds with soft skulls played nearby. And the list goes on and on.

I'll take the lawsuits any day. There's a lot to be said for accountability and responsibility.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Colby Boles
As mentioned before every SUV I can't think of in recent memory I have driven that has a power hatch also has a way for the driver to open/close it. This is not abnormal. It does reverse on my Model S when it senses resistance but I guess it would be able to "hit" you if you were not expecting it.

Have to agree. My Infiniti FX has a power lift gate and it comes down at a good speed. It reverses, but I'm pretty shure it conking me on the head would be pretty unpleasant.

The main difference is it beeps continuously until open or closed, so it gives you a more continuous heads up.

Fault in this case is a human error not a machine error. The person closing or the person suggesting to close should have been more aware/cautious and the person looking in the back (you) could also be aware that in a crowd someone may push a button to close the tailgate. The car isnt to blame here, neither is Tesla (other than perhaps the employee).

Have to agree there. Everyone entering and leaving a car is fully capable of slamming the doors on someone when not looking, whether adult, kids, pet or whatever.

Sure that happens about 1000x a day around the country.

But will this option appear for the trunk lift gate as well? Or does it automatically affect all doors? Thanks

I think you have to use the FWD to get it to set, but I think it applies to the hatch as well.

There's a manual procedure for setting how high you want the S hatch to go (move it where you want it, hold the hatch close button until it beeps, if I remember right,) but I'm not sure it applies to the X, which can actually see obstructions overhead.

Hi
Thank you all for your very interesting and varied responses. I agree that car doors are inherently dangerous - no one will dispute that.
But the question is - are Tesla Model X doors causing vastly more accidents than a normal car door?
That is the question and if they are, what are Tesla doing about it?

I would like to say I contacted Tesla privately in August and gave them 3 months to respond, which they did not. A simple sorry - we smashed your head and we are looking at the problem - would have been plenty. But I suppose that would admit some sense of liability
in the USA.

No Tesla stores in NZ so no Model X's here to come and attack me!

I would like to say I contacted Tesla privately in August and gave them 3 months to respond, which they did not. A simple sorry - we smashed your head and we are looking at the problem - would have been plenty. But I suppose that would admit some sense of liability in the USA.

That's a bit of a shot at our American friends but for your information, most jurisdictions have something similar to the Apology Act we have in BC that does not allow an apology to be used in Court as an admission of liability so I doubt that's the reason. Even without legislation, the facts and law determine liability and not saying "sorry".

What I don't get is why you need a "sorry" to feel better? It's an automatic door and accidents happen. Tesla designed a vehicle that is far safer than most vehicles on the road. Unfortunately, you got hurt but an apology won't speed up the healing of your injuries. But if it's any consolation, I'll again say "Sorry" and "I hope you get better soon."