Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: How do you deal with the small things?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, we love our X. We've had it since mid June and have almost turned over 3000 miles on the car. Driving it is an absolutely pleasure and we don't regret for a moment our purchase. Over the last few weeks I have noticed numerous small things which at times are annoying and others just minor bothers. A couple of things which I've found include,
  • A windshield optical wave roughly the size of a baseball. It is positioned on the far right of the windshield off center from the passengers field of view. However I can see the distortion when turning my head to the right in preparation for turning. It isn't present anywhere else but it can be a bit annoying but livable.
  • Ghosting through the windshield. I know based on the rake, angle, and composition of the windshield, there isn't much that can probably be done here.
  • Lightly creaking dashboard. I had them address it once where apparently there was some securing clip which went messing. There are creaks in other areas of the dashboard and very noticeable when stopping or accelerating
  • Over the last few days I've noticed a strange vibration coming through when accelerating. I can feel it in the accelerator pedal. I can't reproduce it on demand, but am trying to figure out how to do so
  • Leather release button stencil on the 3rd row seat is not aligned with the mechanical button beneath it. The actual button is off center from the leather stitching. I had to probe for it one day and finally found it. The seat functions but it just seems like a quality matter.
  • Erratic automatic front door opening. Sometimes it appears the front doors have a mind of its own even when I am in a clear and open area with no obstructions.
I think there are a few more small items. The question I have for this group, how aggressive have you been in getting those what could be seen as "small" things repaired by Tesla? I've been searching the boards for how others have addressed these matters, but generally speaking how has everyone been handling this situation? I honestly do not enjoy dropping off the car as it does take time and effort out of my day. It is difficult to get past these quality issues however especially when you lay in that amount of expense on a vehicle. You expect near perfection. We could use the advice.

I think there are a few more small items. The question I have for this group, how aggressive have you been in getting those what could be seen as "small" things repaired by Tesla? I've been searching the boards for how others have addressed these matters, but generally speaking how has everyone been handling this situation? I honestly do not enjoy dropping off the car as it does take time and effort out of my day. It is difficult to get past these quality issues however especially when you lay in that amount of expense on a vehicle. You expect near perfection. We could use the advice.

Keep bringing it back to the service center and keep escalating until everything is take care so that it doesn't bother you anymore. Agree, it really sucks to have the car tied up in service for days or even weeks. But it's worth the effort now to have a car that you are happy about long term. From your list, I would have them replace the windshield. Have them adjust the dashboard. Once you're able to reliably reproduce the vibration problem, have the service manager or foreman do a ride-along. Have them adjust the 3rd row seat leather and if they can't they should replace it. The front door not opening fully could be a sensor calibration issue. If there is no obstacle in sight and you are standing far enough away, it really should open fully.

love the car, but the little things get more and more annoying... and more and more little things keep coming up.... also, waiting for the service center to make time to fix things is a pain... scheduling out a month in advance.... not good

The trick is to have appointments on the books already and add items to those appointment as you discover them. And never cancel an upcoming appointment even if the original issue self-resolves as you can still use that appointment for something else. E.g. I had an appointment for some odd 2nd row seat behavior that actually self-resolved via firmware update but I was able to use the appointment for a new active spoiler issue. It's like being able to get an appointment slot within a few days. ;)

It is a pain to still have these QC issues with Tesla. Really no excuse and it is quite embarrassing. We had always planned on getting an MX when it was time to replace our Honda Odyssey but we will have to wait some more. After 10 months getting our MS sorted out with countless trips to the SC, we can't fathom going through it again with the MX. Hope they get it under control before the 3 starts rolling out.

Reactions: Neohippy
I probably have all the same symptoms but the vibration in the accelerator and I am not sure about the miss aligned seat button as I never touch my 3rd row.
  • Others have pointed out the waviness in the windshield but neither myself or my wife even notice it, even when it was pointed out.
  • We see some ghosting but our seats are so low it's not a big deal
  • Creaking dashboard I am waiting for them to get more experience at fixing. I don't need or want them wandering around my car looking for what causes it and breaking stuff in the hunt
  • Flapping front door: This came with a SW update, I expect it to leave with one too
  • And I have some sort of rattle in the second row area but have not isolated it yet. Again waiting for SC to get more experience in rattle alleviation techniques

Reactions: wanaxnow
I would not have the windshield replaced for at least 6 months. It doesn't sound like Tesla and their OEM have fully determined the problem and how to solve it. Unless your ghosting is really bad, I would wait until the QA issues are fully resolved because right now it's possible to get a worse windshield.

Get everything else worked on when it's convenient for you, and when you have a good sized number of issues to be worked on.

I've noticed the vibration on acceleration. One poster thought it might be the traction control coming on, creating a sensation somewhat akin but less obvious than the vibration with non-skid brakes.
That vibration problem is strange and fairly new. I too don't remember it being there when we picked the car up. In fact even today if I am on a flat on ramp and start out at about 20mph or so and lay into the accelerator by 2/3 I will feel and hear that odd vibration. I am trying to figure out that pattern so if I do accumulate all these issues I can demonstrate the problem in the hopes of having it addressed. My biggest fear is that it isn't a symptom of a larger problem. None the less still a pain in the a** to deal with.

I would not have the windshield replaced for at least 6 months. It doesn't sound like Tesla and their OEM have fully determined the problem and how to solve it. Unless your ghosting is really bad, I would wait until the QA issues are fully resolved because right now it's possible to get a worse windshield.

Get everything else worked on when it's convenient for you, and when you have a good sized number of issues to be worked on.
That is a good call. I've read elsewhere in the forum where folks had their windshield replaced to address either the ghosting or distortion only to have it be worse on replacement. That would truely depress me.

I have the slight vibration through a specific speed range at full "throttle" in my Model S and I think it's to do with the front motor but it's not something that actively concerns me. It wasn't there at delivery but hasn't gotten any worse either.

Jeff
That is exactly where the vibration is. It feels as though it is in the front left motor. I can feel it through the accelerator pedal. It doesn't appear to be hindering anything but annoying when you think about quality workmanship.

The trick is to have appointments on the books already and add items to those appointment as you discover them. And never cancel an upcoming appointment even if the original issue self-resolves as you can still use that appointment for something else. E.g. I had an appointment for some odd 2nd row seat behavior that actually self-resolved via firmware update but I was able to use the appointment for a new active spoiler issue. It's like being able to get an appointment slot within a few days. ;)
Just a thinking that we even need to consider making those appointments concerns me. How often have you taken tesla in for adjustments and fixes since you took delivery?

Reactions: davidc18
Just a thinking that we even need to consider making those appointments concerns me. How often have you taken tesla in for adjustments and fixes since you took delivery?

I have a March build so there were more fit and finish issues back then. I've had it in about once a month since taking delivery but everything has now been resolved to my satisfaction after last month's visit. All items were pretty minor, the most significant being issues with an ultrasonic sensor, the active spoiler, and the 3rd row seat recall.

I have a creak (is that the definition for plastic against plastic noises) ? somewhere on the column of the stearing wheel that i cant pin point and drives me nuts sometimes. Thats my little thing on the radar, but to be honest I love the car so much that i really don't care. Even the ghosting stopped bothering me and it's pretty bad.

I wanted to thank those who responded to this post. I got over my concern of being a real pain in the a** for the folks at the service center by having them address those persistant "small things." Commasign had great advice from above and I am glad to say I've been far happier with our X now that the SC folks have worked out a lot of those annoyances. Today I just picked up our X after my 3rd visit (soon to be 4th) to address the following,
  • Front passenger turn signal indicator was non functional. Turned out to be a mismatch in the firmware loaded into the fog light
  • Vibration and loud knocking noise from the front motors - Diagnosed to be faulty motor mounts. Will be replaced on my next visit
  • Persistent creaking noise when letting off the accelerator - Found to be movement of the front drive unit high voltage cables. Placement needed to be adjusted
  • Charging door did not fully close - Diagnosed that our X had the wrong door installed. Apparently it came off an older S for some reason.
The Service Center folks have been very accommodating to helping me through these things. I have been very impressed with their service and little by little, these problems have been worked out to my satisfaction. I guess bottom line, take Commasign's advice and bring along some patience.

Reactions: Ormond
Got our X I expected major many things wrong with it. So far almost nothing wrong with it, but when you pick a car that's first model yr, delayed, and has falcon doors you know it's got glitches. So be philosophical about it, enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff, after all you should have expected it.

I have a really odd noise I wonder if anyone has experienced. Every time I start the car driving off, there's this rattling noise apparently from the passenger side, kind of like a loose rocking passenger seat but it's not. I hear it on slightest bumps / uneven surface. What's odd is that the noise disappears after about driving 10min or so, until the next time I turn off/start the car again.

I have a really odd noise I wonder if anyone has experienced. Every time I start the car driving off, there's this rattling noise apparently from the passenger side, kind of like a loose rocking passenger seat but it's not. I hear it on slightest bumps / uneven surface. What's odd is that the noise disappears after about driving 10min or so, until the next time I turn off/start the car again.

Check the passenger seat belt. I had some odd noises that sounded kinda like that one day, and it turned out to be the seat belt not fully retracted and trapped between the seat and door.

Though the disappearing after ten minutes part doesn't fit.