Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in hot Phoenix summers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a Model X 90D. I love the panoramic windshield but have some worries that it will let more heat into the cabin during the 115 degreet Phoenix summers. Are there any Model X owners living in the Phoenix valley that can comment on whether this is a problem?

Car color and car seats will be a factor in addition to the windshield. Guaranteed, that thing is going to be a big magnifying glass into your car. I don't live in PHX but even in SoCal I tinted all windows, including windshield with the best heat rejecting film possible.

Not an AZ owner but one that experiences So. Fl & Southeast Coast summer's heat + humidity.

Shade helped tremendously when driving into Sun in 100+, high humidity days....vehicle did a great job of cooling off.

If you garage and precondition you will be fine.

btw: there are a number of Az. X owners......somebody probably will respond.

btw: have blue/white combo.....the white seats are fantastic; very comfortable and stay cool....if you haven't finalized your selection yet, I would strongly recommend the white for your weather.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I live in Phoenix and we took delivery of our black P90D in July. I immediately got a full XPEL wrap and tinted the windows. We then drove across the desert to San Diego and back. I did not notice the windshield being an issue, with either heat or sunshine. We received the sun shade and never use it. I eventually had my XPEL guy put a film on the inside of the entire windshield; no tint, just IR reduction. That lowered the temperature of the windshield inside the car to the touch, which I can only assume keeps the interior temp down. I will say this: living in Phoenix, in the summer it's all about turning on the A/C with the app before getting in the car. Nothing beats walking across a sweltering parking lot and getting in a cool, 68° Model X. :)

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Like @SturgisWaters, I'm in PHX and got my black X75D in August. I tinted the windows using Photosync and 3M on the windshield. This dropped the heat inside the car so much that the AC didn't need to be above 5 or 6 to keep the car nice and cool after parking in the sun for hours or driving around in 110 degree summer.

Hope this helps!

Everyone's toleration to heat / sunlight is different. It's not unusual to see comments from "the windshield is great and the heat is just fine to me under 110F!" to "the worst feature of the X is the windshield! Look at this temperature gun reading! I am designing my own shades!" There are many solutions available including using a combination of heat shield and sunshade for maximum sunblock.

We can barely stand the heat radiating directly from the top when the sun is high up in summer here in SoCal. The windshield sunshade helps out a lot. More light comes through with less heat. Other than the direct sunlight heat we are fine with the cabin temperature.

Everyone should tint their cars. Great return on investment. Increases your privacy and makes the car look better.

I have tinted every car I ever owned and will do so going forward.

Took delivery of our X in June. These are our observations after living with the car in the Phoenix area during the first summer:
  1. We ended up driving with the Tesla screen in the top half of the windshield for most of the (extended) summer (late October). Not so much because of the heat but because of the extreme brightness. I prefer the screen over darker tint as it can be removed in the winter
  2. We didn't have the windshield tinted. I don't think it is necessary. We also thought the cost was too high (I know, 100k car)
  3. We had the front door windows tinted (like we have done with all our cars). The rear windows are dark enough for us
  4. We had the top windows of the Falcon Wing Doors tinted as it was still too bright for the rear passengers. My wife uses the car for her real estate business and we wanted everyone to be comfortable
  5. The car doesn't seem to have too much trouble STAYING cool but it will take a while to feel comfortable in the front seats, especially the passenger front seat as the dash vents are too small for AZ
  6. Pre-cooling the car works great and is very fast
  7. The ventilated front seats are great but they feel like they don't do much in the middle of the summer. I think it still helps. You will hear them.
  8. I have one of the front windshield covers as mentioned above (silver + white) and we used it a few times if we were going to be away from the car for longer periods. We mostly used it to protect the car's dash. We own the top cover (bought them as a set) but never even unpacked it (as we used the Tesla screen)
  9. The Tesla screen is very easy to install and remove if the car is parked. Because of the size, you really want to fold it outside of the car.
  10. The rear air-conditioning is a must in the summer. Turn it on even if there is nobody back there. Keep in mind that it might turn itself off if there is nobody sitting there (haven't worked on finding a pattern in this). It really helps cooling the entire car
  11. We have the 6 person version and bought a plugin cooler for in between the rear seats ($100 variety). It was pretty nice on longer trips or with people in the back. It gives you a place to keep stuff cool (not truly cold) and provides a nice arm rest for the middle row passengers. We use the plug in the rear cargo area to power it (and keep the front one free for other stuff).
  12. The steering wheel never seems to get very hot. I am pretty sensitive to this and never had a problem (love our heated one too ;))
Overall, I think the X does fine in the AZ heat. My only real issue is the size of the dash vents, especially on the passenger side. They just don't push enough air in the middle of the summer. Make sure to ALWAYS pre-cool the car before you get in.