Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X insurance coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my MX and another car with Progressive and have been with them for 5 years.
Paying 6 months up front my MX is about $70/month. My renewal is up next month so I'll be making a slight adjustment to my policy. Looks like it will only kick it up to about $75/month if I pay for the 6 months up front.

One other thing I forgot, as the driver of a 100k car, you should carry uninsured motorist coverage (in states that have that type of insurance) in an amount sufficient to replace your car in the event your Tesla is destroyed by an uninsured driver. To carry $100k in uninsured motorist property damage coverage, you will likely be required to carry liability coverage (and other coverage) in an equal amount. If you aren't carrying that much insurance, you are subject to a giant loss. In Texas, we have a substantial part of our driving population who is uninsured (possibly 20%), even though it is illegal to fail to carry insurance. On top of that, a huge majority of people carry minimum limits of insurance to comply with State law, which includes only $30k in coverage for property damage done (liability PD coverage). Obviously, this would leave you well short of replacing your Tesla even if you are faultless. So, protect yourself with high limits of uninsured motorist coverage and other coverages. Yes, it costs more. One wreck and it will be well worth it, whichever insurance carrier you choose. I have very high limits, because face it people hate attorneys, so I need a lot of protection. That's why my monthly cost is relatively high. I would quite surprised if you can get high limits insurance for less than $150 a month on Tesla.

I’ve been shopping around in preparation to buy a MX in November and from what I have found on early quotes Progressive seems to have favorable rates. I currently have Allstate for my auto and home and when I swapped out my 2012 Cayenne S our for a MX it raised the rates about $250.00 over 6 months. A quote on Gieco came back at almost double the cost, and State Farm didn’t favor well either.

I’m going to continue to shop around but this thread has certinaly been helpful!

...Paying 6 months up front my MX is about $70/month...
this is a good point...i jumped in and started paying monthly for the first 6 months and i'm at $117/month.

my next 6 month (or year if i choose) block is coming up soon and if i pay up front it would equate to like $100/month (i'm 25 with a speeding ticket keping my rate higher than it needs to be :()

I’ve been shopping around in preparation to buy a MX in November and from what I have found on early quotes Progressive seems to have favorable rates. I currently have Allstate for my auto and home and when I swapped out my 2012 Cayenne S our for a MX it raised the rates about $250.00 over 6 months. A quote on Gieco came back at almost double the cost, and State Farm didn’t favor well either.

I’m going to continue to shop around but this thread has certinaly been helpful!
ah ha!! i hope i'm your friend here!! :D in columbus ohio only, (if you are a good driving fit), you can get super low rates for a tesla only through Root Insurance: Announcement: Car Insurance Discount for Tesla® Owners

you download their app and they monitor your driving style for a few weeks and keep track of how many times you look at your phone while your driving then they say yes or no. they get to pick and choose the best people to insure which means better rates.

What did they get you at, speed demon?
i was doing 97mph when my detector burst to life. i saw the cop get in his car, so i pulled over asap so he didn't have to chase me i knew i was toast...thankfully he only wrote me up for 95mph which prevented a mandatory court appearance.

i imagine if i ever stopped for a cop while doing 150mph+ like i've done like 4 times, i'd probably be typing this from jail.

Reactions: hmcgregoraz
I had 2014 Porsche Cayenne diesel and 2011 Porsche 911 C4 for years my monthly bill was $178. I bought a 2018 Chevrolet Traverse AWD which brings my policy up to $280/month. The same week I traded Chevrolet for my 2017 Model X and policy jumped $498 per month. That’s ridiculous. Any insurance carriers in Pennsylvania that would have better price?

I got a quote from Progressive for $500 for 6 months on a 2017 MX 100D here in Texas. Texas is typically in the top10 for most expensive states for car insurance. My wife and I have great credit scores, pristine driving records and also moved our home insurance over to Progressive as well. We got a number of multi-line discounts and also have four cars on the policy now. Actually, adding the fourth car barely moved the premium which I found odd. I shopped USAA, Geico, Farmer's, Nationwide, Chubb, Metlife, Safeco, All-State, State Farm, Traveler's, and I believe Hartford which I wasn't as familiar with. Needless to say, none came remotely close to the auto rate I got with Progressive (top tier coverages) even if my auto and home was unbundled. I won't even post some of the quotes I received on just the Tesla alone because no one would probably believe me. Some of them were absolutely absurd.

I forgot to mention that this is on $500 deductible coverage.

Last edited: