Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X inventory car purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vandacca: what new hardware?
My apologies, after re-reading my post, I could see how it could be misinterpreted. What I meant to say is that when Tesla has new hardware to introduce, they include it ASAP and publicize it later. This is mostly observing their behavior of the Model-S over the past few years.

For example, a larger battery pack gets included in cars before they announce the 90kWh pack, and recent owners can upgrade for a small cost. Also, AutoPilot hardware first start showing up in vehicles even before announcing the feature. It took a long time after that for the software to be ready and activated.

All I'm saying is that if Tesla starts including new hardware a few months before announcing the new feature, they can provide it to recent customer's for a nominal fee and reduce the sting a bit.

I agree, as an MS owner who missed out by about 6 months on navigation hardware, I am somewhat concerned that it will happen again with my MX. That being said, it seems no win as technology in this area will probably keep improving exponentially in the next several years, unless regulators shut it down. So I was wondering if any new hardware, eg two cameras, have been spotted on any X's.
One the bright side have loved my MS even without A.P.
I guess it's like an iPhone some are happy with a 5s, others crave latest and greatest.

It would appear that Tesla has begun including new hardware in cars rolling off the line, and only after a period of time, do they announce that new "feature" at time of configuring.

I placed order for a new MX and Sept delivery, when I heard about impending AP upgrade I asked my owner advisor to delay the delivery further, she herself recommended to push it to November but didn't divulge if AP would be ready by then. Her spontaneous reply and impending M3 part 2 unveil makes me think sometime towards end of this year is when they will start rolling out cars with the new tech.

That justifies the heavy discount on the current MX too, so that there isnt any kind of buyers remorse. Now I am also thinking if I should convert my order to an inventory vehicle and enjoy the discounts or wait for new AP tech.

Its a tough call. I struggled and decided to get an inventory car now. I figured I like the current tech and will get at least 6 months of enjoyment before new technology is available or activated. Trouble is that by the time the model 3 comes out, there will probably be even further upgrades, so even if I wait 6 months in a year or 2 there will be something better it's inevitable.
But I feel your pain
My other stress is the fear that people's silly driving, not paying attention don't get everything shut down.
Good news I currently have a pre autopilot S and although I have autopilot envy, it's still an awesome car.

Reactions: krazineurons