Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Launch invites have gone out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that some of the early Sigs have had VINs preassigned, so that we don't get some random number.
I wonder what they will do with the VINs of people who cancelled. They could fill them in with people from the waitlist or skip them entirely. In any case, the VIN doesn't necessarily indicate production order so there wouldn't be a major advantage either way.

I would doubt if they preassigned VINs based on Orders (Signature or Production). VINs are encoded with what is actually installed on the car.

PositionDescriptionValue
1-3Manufacturer5YJ = Tesla Motors, Inc.
4MakeS = Model S
5Body TypeA = 5 Door Hatchback LHD (Left Hand Drive)
6Restraint System1 = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (Front, Rear*3) With Front Airbags, PODS, Side Inflatable Restraints, Knee Airbags (Front)
7Battery TypeE = Lithium Ion Battery - Electric
8Motor/Drive Unit4 = Performance Dual Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
9Check Character1
10Model YearF = 2015
11Location of ManufactureF = Fremont, CA, USA
12Serial #, 100,000s digit1
13-17Serial Number Digits56789
There is a configuration part of the VIN of what features are installed. So to assign a VIN for an non-configured order is not feasible (the VIN also has the Vehicle SN and Model Year). Once an order is confirmed and Tesla starts production of what will be built, the VIN can be assigned. I would imagine Tesla assigns the VIN at beginning of Production, as part of Work-In-Process accounting to keep track of assets moved from inventory to the vehicle, then finally to Finished Goods Inventory and ultimately to Delivery.

The good news seems to be that VINs assigned to some signature orders (not reservations) indicated Tesla is actually placed those Model X's in production. We just don't know the build numbers and timing. Hopefully ModelXtracker will help gauge the timing.

All we need is an API
boolean didBonnieGetHerX();
Or a more elaborate version perhaps
int whereIsBonniesX(); go crazy defining an enum with the int values.

#Xobsessed [emoji16]
Sorry, but that's a terrible API definition.
Hey, forum geeks, can we please get some serious bike-shedding going here?

The simplistic idea would of course be
bool didBonnieReceiveADeliveryDate()
but that's a little redundant because a better approach would be
struct tm *getBonniesDelieverDate()
and then return a NULL pointer if you don't have a delivery date yet...

See how much easier this is with good API design?

Sorry, but that's a terrible API definition.
Hey, forum geeks, can we please get some serious bike-shedding going here?

The simplistic idea would of course be
bool didBonnieReceiveADeliveryDate()
but that's a little redundant because a better approach would be
struct tm *getBonniesDelieverDate()
and then return a NULL pointer if you don't have a delivery date yet...

See how much easier this is with good API design?

I actually went complete nerdo on my first "draft" and then toned it down 3 times.. I have underestimated the nerdom and technical prowess on this forum! High5 for the proper font too !!