Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
When Angel, my new Model X, arrived Christmas eve, she had no place to mount the front plate and no screws had been provided for the rear. I knew Washington State law requires both front and rear plates so I immediately began some research and found what seemed like the best solution for the front plate and ordered it directly from EvanNex--"The Law" front license plate bracket. It arrived a few days before the new plates. It was not cheap--over $138.

While I had to lie on the ground for some time, installation took only about thirty minutes. The Law bracket seemed sturdy enough but it only held the plate from the lower edge. I decided to give it a try--I now regret that decision. I also realized that I would need better (safer) screws to attach the front and rear plates to the car, but no one (not even the dealer) knew what screw sizes to use. I made an educated guess and ordered some on Amazon based on an invalid assumption but they were too large and got a "no-return" refund.

Next, I went to my local Tacoma Screw store (seriously, an entire store dedicated to screws) and ask them to help. They were thrilled to be of assistance and found that their 085-013-2 (#10 self-tapping security screws) would work for the back (although they were a bit long). I think a 1/2" or 3/4" would be better but those are harder to find. I also saw that some of the "star-pin" screws had poor reviews as the pin was too short to prevent a normal star bit from removing them--that's why I chose the unusual "two-hole" security screw.

Once everything was installed, I was happy--until I took Angel for her first bath at the local automated Brown Bear carwash. I discovered the front plate had been badly bent and the bracket bent forward by their over-enthusiastic brushes. Not good. I have not decided whether or not to keep the front bracket as I don't have a better solution, but I have ordered a steel plate to back up the (very) thin metal license plate to try to prevent this from re-occurring. My concern is that the Law bracket attaches to the plastic grille under the car and might permanently damage the grill if overly stressed by external forces. My other worry is that the license plate now blocks air from entering that grill to some extent. That also might not make Angel happy in the long term.

Frankly, I think Tesla has dropped the ball in this case. It should have provided a factory hard point on which to mount a front plate and worked it into the design of the car. They should have also provided mounting screws for the rear. When you pay upwards of $98K for a car, one would think...

My Model X came with a front mount in the frunk. I may or may not install, but if I do I'll be taking it to the SC...they offered to put it on when the plates came in. Mine also came with mounting screws on the back, pre-installed.

MN law requires a front plate too, but it's not really enforced. My X has been naked on the front for going on 6 months with no issues.

UPDATE: Some kind soul suggested I look in my frunk. I did, and buried under a large black nylon bag, I found a sack of license plate parts I didn't know was there. (sigh). This had the bolts for the back plate and a bracket to mount the front plate but no instructions... I'll try to use the bracket to reinforce the Law mounting bracket and report back. Learn something new every day.

My advice to you: avoid regular car washes. The brushes will cause serious damage to your paint. Recommend avoiding touchless car washes: water filters are expensive and may not be replaced often enough. You get to wash you car with hundreds of chemicals washed off other people’s cars. Save your coins and use the self-washing outlets. Your car will thank you.

I, too, have been running "naked" at the front of my MS (this one and my 1st one) for the last 4+ years . . . touch wood! I hate the thought of messing up the front end of this beautiful machine, either mechanically or aesthetically. I did the same years ago with my new Mazda Miata, but kept the front plate tucked between the passenger seat and console. After about 3 yrs. I got stopped (by a gruff lady cop), but by the time she'd gotten out of the cruiser and walked up to the window with her ticket book in her hand, I'd popped the plate into the defroster slot of the windshield - passenger side. I said to the nice lady "Gee, I guess you didn't see it there . . . and I'm making an appt. to get the broken mount reinstalled". I think she guessed what I'd done - but only sent me off with a 'scolding'. Regrettably, I never did get around to installing it.

I bought the front license plate kits (2 long screws with wing nuts and instructions) from @kpalaniswami. It installed in about 10 minutes just like he said. It seems pretty sturdy. See this thread:
No-Hole Front License Plate
I did the same. Have used it for over a month and it has worked great. My only modification was to add 2 silicone buttons to back of plate holder so it wouldn’t rub on front metal fender. $12. Works great

I use "The Law" also. It just so happens that the company that makes it is near Seattle so I just ordered it online, drove over, and picked one up.

I put some silicone / felt behind my license plate but that's it.

I don't think it will hold well if I were to get into an accident, etc.

Another option can be to try one of those stickers that go on your front bumper.

I usually don't care about drilling into my front bumper but for reason I care on this car.

There is another thing 'some' do, to avoid the aversion of the front plate, though it falls short of dmv reg's .... photocopy transferred onto a heavy/shiny decal material .... not that any of us would skirt requirements like that ....
:rolleyes:

UPDATE: Some kind soul suggested I look in my frunk. I did, and buried under a large black nylon bag, I found a sack of license plate parts I didn't know was there. (sigh). This had the bolts for the back plate and a bracket to mount the front plate but no instructions... I'll try to use the bracket to reinforce the Law mounting bracket and report back. Learn something new every day.
We got The Law for our X as well. My husband installed it using the front bracket as a reinforcement. It look so great and we have had no issues in the five months since it was put on.

My Model X came with a front mount in the frunk. I may or may not install, but if I do I'll be taking it to the SC...they offered to put it on when the plates came in. Mine also came with mounting screws on the back, pre-installed.

MN law requires a front plate too, but it's not really enforced. My X has been naked on the front for going on 6 months with no issues.

Mine too!