Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X may qualify for 50% business write off.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW. You have gotten to see the interior of the car. You must be very important in the organization. Can you tell us more about what you saw in the car?

Good Morning.
In absence of real news we use power of imagination and deduction here on TMC...and also study minute details of available car renderings. :biggrin:

Here's a hint: you have electric motor that is powering rear wheels and is inline with the axles - where do you hide it?

It used to be 100% a few years ago. I wrote off a truck that I purchased for $55k. ...... snip
yep - we wrote off 100% on a range rover in the early 2000's. Frankly, it's a sucky rule, that was often incentivizing purchasing of soccer mom's land barges that seldom got used for real business. But hey, if it's the law, no matter how stupid, I'll use it. According to the new rules, if you use your "business vehicle" for such things as a taxi or a hearse - you're still good to go! so - if you don't mind the smell of formaldehyde ...
:tongue:

yep - we wrote off 100% on a range rover in the early 2000's. Frankly, it's a sucky rule, that was often incentivizing purchasing of soccer mom's land barges that seldom got used for real business. But hey, if it's the law, no matter how stupid, I'll use it. According to the new rules, if you use your "business vehicle" for such things as a taxi or a hearse - you're still good to go! so - if you don't mind the smell of formaldehyde ...
:tongue:

So I can be an uber driver 2 days a week and take the writeoff? :smile:

The trunk is actually the "hump" in the Model S. The lower trunk area and where the seats are sitting would be the lower part of the skateboard. Right?

From this thread: Photos of car interior taken apart for sound deadening

ca-04.jpg

Last edited:
WOW. You have gotten to see the interior of the car. You must be very important in the organization. Can you tell us more about what you saw in the car?

The Design Studio images of the seats clearly shows that the 3rd row seats sit on top of a hump. Yes, these are likely rendered, but I'm confident that Tesla made these renders as close to reality as possible.

Attachments

• Buttons.png
    Buttons.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
I don't know about the States, but in Canada we have to keep a mileage log book for any portion of vehicle write off and if you have an office, to and from the office does not count as a deduction. It's only from the office to clients, jobs, etc. that can be written off. So I don't understand the title of this thread. If you bought a Model X and used it to solely to deliver product, can't you write off 100%?

I don't know about the States, but in Canada we have to keep a mileage log book for any portion of vehicle write off and if you have an office, to and from the office does not count as a deduction. It's only from the office to clients, jobs, etc. that can be written off. So I don't understand the title of this thread. If you bought a Model X and used it to solely to deliver product, can't you write off 100%?
Disclaimer: Not a tax accountant or an accountant! But this is some numbers to illustrate the huge difference in the first year depreciation write offs as an example

In Canada you might only be able claim up to 30% of the $30,000+tax maximum of the Model X purchase as part of the capital cost allowance (say 15% tax yields only a mere $ 10,350 write off for the first year).

For USA if 50% applies, if I understand that correctly, on a 130,000 purchase price, that's $65,000 (Section 179 in question)+ $5,000 (normal depreciation) = $70,000 write off (if 100% business use), almost 7 x more!

....... snip....... If you bought a Model X and used it to solely to deliver product, can't you write off 100%?
it's really not a matter of whether you can or can't write off the expense, but the particular tax rule in question pertains to how much you can deduct right off the bat, upfront, in the tax year of purchase - as opposed to typical tax rules of yearly depreciation.

That's pretty good. The Model S has always had a bit low carrying capacity.

Checking a random Model S D here, it has curb weight of 2187 kg/4821 lb and a max allowable weight of 2670 kg/5886 lb, which means max 483 kg/1064 lb of cargo. If you load up five adults weighing 75 kg/165 lb, that means that the total amount of luggage can't exceed 108 kg/238 lb, or 21.6 kg/48 lb per adult. You can easily exceed that with a ski box, five pairs of skis and a small overnight bag for each person.

The Model X should weigh somewhere around 2500 kg/5500 lb, so that should mean that you'll be able to carry around 778 kg/1700 lb. Counting seven adults at 75 kg/165 lb means you'll be able to carry 253 kg/557 lb of luggage, or 36 kg/80 lb per person. That's much better.

I would guess that Tongue Weight is included in GVWR number.

Yes. For example. GVRW or 7216lbs and a curb weight of 5,900lbs (I'm guessing here) leaves around 1300lbs load capacity. Add a 5000 lbs trailer with a 15% tongue weight of a 750lbs and you're left with 550lbs. If you put a family of 4 in the car there's nothing left for luggage.

I hope they've managed to keep the weight down in the 5,500lbs range or less but that would be less than 1000lbs more than the Model S and I'm guessing the Falcon doors add a substantial amount of weight.