Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Middle Row Seat Design - possible reason for current design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the seat only tilts and the seatback cannot adjust independently from the seat bottom. That's only found on the most hardcore sports cars (e.g. 911 GT3).

I have yet to see evidence this is the case, and I'm disinclined to make the assumption that it is. I believe that button on the side adjust forwards/backwards but nothing more. But I'm just guessing, like everyone else at this point.

I have yet to see evidence this is the case, and I'm disinclined to make the assumption that it is. I believe that button on the side adjust forwards/backwards but nothing more. But I'm just guessing, like everyone else at this point.
We know the seats tilt forward, but if there was any usable tilt backwards, wouldn't we have caught it on camera? With so many people sitting and moving the seats forward and backward, I would think there would be photos of people enjoying the maximum tilt backwards. This is as good as my camera picked up, and I could have tilted the camera.

21693367930_b394751ea5_z.jpg

Just went and measured - from the front of my daughter's knees to the outside edge of the rear bumper is 25". That's going to be the distance you have available to dissipate crash energy from a rear collision. What I don't know is how big of a gap there is between the plastic bumper cover and the reinforced metal beam inside, which is where you will really start dissipating, so in reality it's going to be a little less.

Here's a good video showing what's underneath the plastic part of the rear bumper. There's the outer boron steel bumper (black beam), a body colored cross bar (red beam), and then the body plate (half sprayed).
2012 Tesla Model S Hitch Installation-Torklift Central - YouTube

Are the middle seats on a manually track that you pull a lever and push to slide forward and backward to make room for the 3rd row passengers to get in?

Or are the middle seats on a motorized track they you press a lever and the motor moves them up and down a track to make room for the 3rd row passengers?

Or is it a completely different type of configuration?

Are the middle seats on a manually track that you pull a lever and push to slide forward and backward to make room for the 3rd row passengers to get in?

They are motorized. In the video of the delivery event, Elon pushed a button and the seats moved in a fan-like pattern automatically to allow entry to the third row. I'm assuming there's a manual release for safety/accident reasons but operationally, you'd be using the motorized method.

I have watched as many YouTube video's of the Model X as I can find, but have yet to see someone getting a shot of the pedestal that the 2nd row seats are mounted on. If anyone has a closeup video, please post a link to it here.

These are my best shots of the second row pedestal and buttons. I lightened them to try to get as much detail as possible. One of the shots also shows the button for tipping the second row forward for ease into second row.

IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg

These are my best shots of the second row pedestal and buttons. I lightened them to try to get as much detail as possible. One of the shots also shows the button for tipping the second row forward for ease into second row. View attachment 97440View attachment 97441View attachment 97442
Great shots. The glossy black plastic seat back is not gonna hold up well to wear and tear though. Plus I think it makes the interior look cheap.

Every design decision is a compromise between function, form and economics.

And time. It's quite possible that a folding option comes out later. But that wouldn't be so much an admission of flawed initial design, but rather an improvement made possible by more time to design. The alternative is to delay the whole car 'til that solution was feasible. Just like each iteration of smartphones get improvements, I suspect the same may happen here.

Last edited:
I've already spent time thinking about how to cover those seat backs with something custom-sized and non-glossy. Haven't come up with anything yet, but I think it would be my solution.

The CF wrap works great for this application. You can get a whole 50 or 100 feet roll for reasonable price on eBay. You won't use nearly that much, but it's always have extra material to be safe. You can sell what you don't use after and make a profit even.

They also have color ones, so maybe pearl white or matte white to match a white car? Just like painted sport bucket seat shell on Porsche.