Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mule(s) show signs of nVidia Tegra X1 Drive PX platform - no rear mirror!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A: Uses a word.

B: Criticizes the use of the word.

A: Clarifies the use of the word, successfully defending their position.

B: Notes the 'waste of space' inherent in that clarification.

A: Notes the absolute idiocy of wasting everyone's time in a place meant to waste time.

C: Makes fun of A & B.

Will SOON-Gate be replaced with RECENT-Gate? Stay tuned for new developments! Coming... SOON!

meanwhile ...
so which order do Tesla do this in.

Model X first so it has some USP when it hits the market?

Or model S to ensure it some user feedback first to ensure it is 100% cooked when the X launches.
Seamless upgrade of the Autopilot option or costed option for Auotpilot+

meanwhile ...
so which order do Tesla do this in.

Model X first so it has some USP when it hits the market?

Or model S to ensure it some user feedback first to ensure it is 100% cooked when the X launches.
Seamless upgrade of the Autopilot option or costed option for Auotpilot+

Also, can Tesla afford not to upgrade Model S at the same time at the latest, to avoid osbourning Model S sales? But also, can they afford upgrading Model S before Model X and remove a key launch feature advantage for Model X...? Or won't they just care?

Decisions, decisions, I'm sure...

I also believe Drive PX will be on the X, and that it will be on the X before the S. The camo on the mules seems to cover the right locations. The lack of rear mirror and evidence of possible cameras at the B pillar area also seem to fit.
I might come off as conspiratorial, but I think Tesla had a hand in developing requirements and providing feedback as it was implemented. I think they are effectively the launch partner for PX, but I'm still expecting semi-baked features until maybe a year from now, which is probably about the time my reservation will come up anyway.
Either way, this is the major item I'm holding out for with Tesla and I will be pretty bummed if there's no hardware leap for autopilot at the X launch.

Also, can Tesla afford not to upgrade Model S at the same time at the latest, to avoid osbourning Model S sales? But also, can they afford upgrading Model S before Model X and remove a key launch feature advantage for Model X...?
The key will be delivery times. At launch Tesla will have worldwide about 25k reservations - so they are more or less sold out for 9-12 months (depending on how quickly the ramp capacity). A lot of customers will get a Model S instead (or while waiting - there are lots of people here who did just that years ago).

I think they will save a bunch of stuff for the inevitable MS facelift. i wonder of that may happen close to the first MX deliveries. Wouldn't be surprised if the LED lights were the first hint of what to expect.

The key will be delivery times. At launch Tesla will have worldwide about 25k reservations - so they are more or less sold out for 9-12 months (depending on how quickly the ramp capacity). A lot of customers will get a Model S instead (or while waiting - there are lots of people here who did just that years ago).

dirkhh raises an excellent point. Tesla is a bit damned if they do, damned if they don't in this regard. They have to tread carefully - and I'm fairly certain they will.

One avenue might be to announce everything on Model X, get the limelight and PR goodness on Model X for some days or weeks, and then quickly announce the upgraded features on Model S as well available quickly (minus whatever remains ever exclusive to Model X like falcon wings, some interior stuff) so that the impact to Model S sales is minimal - while guaranteeing the launch hype on Model X. Now, this might result in some Model X buyers cancelling and getting Model S with the new features if they can get it sooner than a Model X with same new features, but that probably isn't an issue for Tesla at all.

I am leaning on this scenario. Launch new stuff on Model X for PR, but allow Model S to get it very rapidly in succession to avoid Osbourne, perhaps before a single (or at least many) Model X is shipped outside of Founders... Also: All this being generic observation regarding any new features that might be applicable to Model S as well - I'm not saying we know exactly what new stuff Model X brings. But I think enough Elon quotes exist to suggest some significant new stuff will come with Model X, and logic goes some of those apply to Model S as well, so my speculation above applies to those - not necessarily to Drive PX, which is even more speculative of course...

J1mbo: Good point about upgrading headlights to LED. Not sure when, but surely something coming along at some point. Hey, maybe with Model X? Xenon is a bit last season (season before last, really) already.

Before it gets lost in the hooplah of the sightings thread some interesting details posted about this mule:

I think you mean Page Mill... Alpine doesn't have a dedicated exit lane.

Anyway, my news for today: I was driving home on 280 northbound at 3:30pm this afternoon when suddenly what should pop out from El Monte onto 280 right in front of me... the Model X (looked the same as the last video)! I wasn't going to pull out my phone and film while driving, however the human eyes have better contrast (dealing with differing brightness) than a camera, so I might be able to note things that a camera can't. This is what I noted:

No mirror. There was definitely no center rearview mirror. There was a small plastic lump there, about the size of a mouse. Seemed much smaller than the plastic lump in my Model S. I couldn't see the console or anything as of course I was in my model S and hence lower than the X. What is in that lump in my S? rain detection?
Unusual spoiler At the rear of the car where the spoiler is on my S there were some interesting ridges. This may be for aerodynamic effect, or this may be just to hold the camoflage on.
Wheels. Wheels looked bigger than on my model S. As I was in my S I felt like I had a decent sense of scale, but I may be mistaken on this one.
Driving pattern The driver came on the freeway, accelerated to traffic speed for the right hand lane (65-68mph). Then the brake lights came on and he traveled at around 60-62mph constant speed while appearing to vear slightly to the right (like in the latest video, but a little less obvious). At the bottom of the hill (nearing the exit) he accelerated to 70 or 75mph (not uncommon on 280) and took Page Mill. He was in the right lane the whole time. My take on this is that cruise control (and or autopilot) was likely set to 60mph, and one he had stabilized himself on the freeway he engaged cruise control in order to test either autopilot or lane keeping/warning
The nose: The front of the car looks the same as a model S, except stretched up, and with white covering.
The roof I noted that each rear door takes up about 1/3 of the roof (width) and there is a roof panel taking up around 1/3 of the roof. There would easily be room for a specially designed roof rack for skis. A large roof box wouldn't fit unless it angled or raised with the door, or the door didn't go fully up with such a box. Even the last of these (door doesn't fully raise) actually looked like it could be a workable solution. I'm pretty confident that Tesla can figure something out here.

I just saw the same test car doing the same route at about 2:00-10 p.m. local time. I was driving north on I280 and exited at Page Mill alongside it. I spotted it a good 1/4 mile ahead of me and followed it briefly before exiting alongside it, although I didn't get as good a look as Cantdecide. After having read this thread about two hours ago before my lunch break. it is unmistakable in appearance. I also unfortunately was not in a position to take pictures. As the driver exited on Page Mill and came to the sharper curves in the offramp, he appeared to be attempting to swerve the car and the car seemed to be self-correcting and avoiding a crash. What struck me most about the car was the rear. The shape and contours of the rear are quite unique. I also didn't see much in the way of windows in the rear hatch, although this could just be the glass was covered up for test purposes.

Again, thank you guys for sharing.

The X pectations thread had some conversation on the DRIVE PX which may be better continued here.

timf said:
I will add to my expectations that it will NOT feature DRIVE PX, primarily because the system is far too new to throw into a production vehicle. I know Tesla likes to take the hardware first, software later approach, but with DRIVE PX just being made available to manufacturers this month, it's far too late in Model X development to add it to the initial production version. They have to have locked in the electronics configuration long ago.

While it is possible DRIVE PX won't make it to the first Model X vehicles - and might come, say a year later, if it is coming at all - I'm not sure your reasoning would necessarily be correct, though.

If Tesla is a key nVidia partner, it doesn't seem far-fetched the DRIVE PX might even have been developed hand in hand with the Model X and Tesla might have priority access. It might even be one reason for Model X's delayed launch schedule (once they decided not to launch it with D and Auto-pilot last year). Even the launch timing seems so suspicious, how much of a chance it is that Elon Musk was *at* the DRIVE PX launch discussing Model X and the final DRIVE PX is being released to manufacturers the same exact time Tesla is saying having started to build release-candidates of Model X... If DRIVE PX was developed alongside the Model X, and it is now ready for others too, having it ready for manufacturing come late Q3 sounds perfectly possible.

Of course, all this assumes Tesla collaborated on the DRIVE PX and had priority access - and are not just now ordering samples from nVidia. Tesla may not even be the only car maker to have had beta-access to DRIVE PX. Beta Model X's may have been built with beta DRIVE PX's and now that DRIVE PX is done, Tesla is building release candidates around it.

Then again, the latest conference call suggested not to expect too much of a difference between first Model X and current Model S, if I read correctly somewhere. Was this just said to not Osbourne the Model X or because the first Model X's will miss out on "Auto-pilot 2", it is hard to say.

Here is a story on the DRIVE PX becoming available in May:

NVIDIA Techgage

1) Is it really expectable, that the Model X will have DrivePX integrated from the start, or is it more likely we will see it in upgraded versions 1-2 years from now?

2) And second is it clear, that Tesla today uses NVidia hardware for Model S Autopilot, or aren't they using mobileye? Teslas Autopilot Technology from Mobileye? | Forums | Tesla Motors

I'm confused where this talk about DrivePX being integrated into the Model X is coming from. I don't recall ever hearing anything from Tesla about that. And yes, I thought it was Mobileye.

Obviously seeing DRIVE PX on Model X at launch or at any later date is speculative. Absolutely. That said, the camera placement / lack of rear-view mirror on the mules does fit the bill. It is also possible Tesla might use some other version or technology instead. See the first few messages of this thread for a summary.

That said, I think the biggest hint was Elon Musk's presence at the nVidia launch where DRIVE PX and his comments there.

GTC 2015: NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang Interviews Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk (part 9) - YouTube

None of this means DRIVE PX, if it is coming, will appear on first Model X Signatures of course. If it won't, and no other all-around view technology happens in its place, I would expect it to happen maybe 6-12 months down the road. If some other all-around view is implemented instead, then maybe it will take longer.

Model X mule(s) show signs of nVidia Tegra X1 Drive PX platform - no rear mir...

Thx for the answers, I thought it would be like that, so all speculation about PX is quite nice, but we should clearly difference it from Model X.

Because it sounds like this technic needs more time, to be integrated and we don't want all fueled-up with too high expectations. Otherwise they will be disappointed!

I appreciate the work AR has done, but I think we should separate possibilities from expectations!

I am now going in release-mode, which means from now on, I simply hope for a bigger Model S and get surprised by all the little things that come on top of that.

Last edited:
Thx for the answers, I thought it would be like that, so all speculation about PX is quite nice, but we should clearly difference it from Model X.

Because it sounds like this technic needs more time, to be integrated and we don't want all fueled-up with too high expectations. Otherwise they will be disappointed!

I appreciate the work AR has done, but I think we should separate possibilities from expectations!

I am now going in release-mode, which means from now on, I simply hope for a bigger Model S and get surprised by all the little things that come on top of that.

I will be disappointed if Model X ships without all-around cameras, but not if it ships without DRIVE PX. All-around cameras in 2015 is not an unreasonable wish. But there are other ways to implement those than DRIVE PX for sure.

DRIVE PX, it is hard to say if it will be relevant or ready for the Model X. The speculation has been presented, but barring further information, it doesn't go much further than that I guess.

We shall see.