Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because maybe you can't. We don't know (at least, I don't) what aerodynamic constraints Tesla is trying to work with. I doubt Franz suddenly decided he'd like a frumpy car because fashion!

That's all true, but I think you missed the point. Someone asked why there's a focus on looks and then it was pointed out that despite many thinking it looks odd, the Prius sells well.

So clearly there is SOME importance to looks, and one might assume that you'd sell more cars if your model was aesthetically pleasing to the masses -- thus answering why there's a focus on looks.

That's all true, but I think you missed the point. Someone asked why there's a focus on looks and then it was pointed out that despite many thinking it looks odd, the Prius sells well.

So clearly there is SOME importance to looks, and one might assume that you'd sell more cars if your model was aesthetically pleasing to the masses -- thus answering why there's a focus on looks.
Pointed out by me. :)

My point is that looks are one component. It's a balance between looks and functionality, and in the case of a large SUV that's also an EV dealing with range constraints (or a Prius trying hard for 50 mpg), looks very well could be a tradeoff to functionality.

Add in the desired cargo/people carrying capacity and the desire to deviate as little as possible from that ideal and you land on what you see in the MX...

But from the looks of the MX that we've seen, I fear it will not have adequate headroom in the back. This is something that I feel they compromised on the MS, as well. The second row headroom isn't very good. (The legroom isn't very good, either, because the seats are so close to the floor, but I expect the MX will fix that.)

How much would it compromise the aerodynamics to make it shaped more like an SUV? I have no idea. But whatever the reason for the current shape, it doesn't look good to me.

But from the looks of the MX that we've seen, I fear it will not have adequate headroom in the back. This is something that I feel they compromised on the MS, as well. The second row headroom isn't very good. (The legroom isn't very good, either, because the seats are so close to the floor, but I expect the MX will fix that.)

How much would it compromise the aerodynamics to make it shaped more like an SUV? I have no idea. But whatever the reason for the current shape, it doesn't look good to me.

As a long-time Prius owner (2005 Gen 2 Prius and 2012 Prius v crossover) the "bubble" shape actually created FAR MORE headroom than usual for a vehicle of the Prius' size. I do worry about 3rd row headroom, but I don't actually intend to get the 3rd row seat option. I need to carry stuff far more than I need to carry more than 4-5 people.

Peter+

I remember the first time I saw a Nissan Murano (one of the first CUVs that didn't try and look like a traditional SUV) I thought it looked like somebody took a hatchback and overinflated it with air. Now it looks pretty normal and there are a ton of similar CUVs. I think the Model X is a much smaller evolution of the form.

The MX will likely be about 8" longer than the Murano. I don't think "much smaller" applies.

When looking at all the vehicles driving around on the roads, it looks like price and functionality is more objektiv functions and a major part of desision making. The most selling Vehicle in USA 2014 was Ford F series (pickup trucks), second place Chevrolet Silverado (pickup truck) and third plase Ram P/U (you guessed it a pickup truck)
Place 4 Toyota Camry.
None of them is even considered good looking, but I guess good price and right functionality is the key. ;-)

It is quite easy to see the price and what functionality you need. (5 og 7 seats, towing capability, storage space....)
Look and color is more indevidual and on the feeling level, some like it some don't.
If you say that looks always win, sorry look at the topp selling cars in any country and you will find the best combo of price and functionality for that country or area, not the best looking car.

Model X test pictures at the factory (more in the link):
PICTURES - Model X Testing at Factory : teslamotors

VpeGNVS.jpg

Someone needs a DSLR and telephoto lens.
Seriously.

Do you think Tesla is behind every one of these spy shots of Mules/Release Candidates?

They give a new employee an iPhone 3GS, a snickers bar, and send them out on a 90 degree day with chocolate smudges on the lens and then post these on TMC just to whip the masses into a frenzy.

I feel like the control rat in a laboratory test.

Seriously.

Do you think Tesla is behind every one of these spy shots of Mules/Release Candidates?

They give a new employee an iPhone 3GS, a snickers bar, and send them out on a 90 degree day with chocolate smudges on the lens and then post these on TMC just to whip the masses into a frenzy.

I feel like the control rat in a laboratory test.

The sticker. DON'T FORGET THE GREEN STICKER.