Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if this has been discussed before, but doesn't this look like a charge-port-cover-up-thing on the right side?
It does and it is.
The question is - why bother with complexity and cost? Sure it is just another meter of wires, some additional plastic etc but think how much time went into designing EU charge-port.
Things are never easy when manufacturing is involved.

So, really... what for? I see no real benefit in yet another charging port except for ~240kW supercharging!
But as I understand (and is obvious from SC curves) the battery is the limiting factor not cabling or SC stations. Charging with two cables won't speed up things one bit.

Is it there for 'pass through' charging? A car is parked charging and owner wanders away for many hours. You come and plug into his car, when he is full, the power goes to your car.
Crazy? Maybe.

I would not be so certain that it is a second port. Remember, the Model S has the exact same reflector on both sides - there is no way to tell just by looking at it which side the charge port is located. I hope you are right though. As it is, parking two such vehicles in the same 2 car garage is going to be challenging without either backing one in or wrapping a cord behind one of them, since power outlets are on walls.

Okay, so not a sighting but something close. I was in the Bay Area this week and bumped into a Tesla staffer. He indicated he'd recently been getting training on the X, that the design studio was coming very very soon, but that there were 3 last looks they were experimenting with and hadn't decided upon. These must be quite minor at this point I'd think, but it does show the situation would seem to be fluid still. He said no matter which is picked they are all spectacular. BUT...he said they are worried about a negative reaction due to the range of the X being less than what we're used to with the S. That would imply that no magic 100kWh is going to be jumping out of the cake...

For what it's worth, a Tesla employee that shall remain nameless told me that the Design Studio was going to open in August and not in July as Elon had previously stated in an earnings call. This timeline would seemingly match up with ElectricFarmBoy's post.

Skärmklipp 2015-07-26 16.36.03.png

Looks like it is to low for being a model x right? But its very close to the design of the X

View attachment 88591
Looks like it is to low for being a model x right? But its very close to the design of the X

What is that in the background??? It has the general look of the model S, but looks like skinny little headlamps and a mesh nosecone. I cannot believe that they would have something new out in the open though without any sort of camo

new tesla.png

EDIT: Maybe it was this alpha (I forgot how great it looked)

alpha.jpg

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Founders will probably configure privately (isn't that a board meeting we'd all love to attend?), and the first Sigs don't need to be shown a design studio before last August. Not saying it won't come any earlier but there's no reason why it should have to.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm betting there won't be many inventory cars. Sure, Tesla will want some vehicles for test drives and reservation holders who want to see a physical vehicle before they sign an MVPA, but cars for the stores are unlikely to be produced until 2016....there's no need to take up floor space with a Model X that already has a ~30,000 vehicle backlog.
So how does someone see and test drive the car if they are asked to configure and finalize there order?

What is that in the background??? It has the general look of the model S, but looks like skinny little headlamps and a mesh nosecone. I have seen all of the alphas, and this looks nothing like any of them. I cannot believe that they would have something new out in the open though without any sort of camo

Model S refresh :)scared:) or (more likely) a custom-modified car ?

I agree it's a bit much to expect them to let something significant slip, but who knows ?

The frames before that was a wide angle view of the design studio. Just looks like a couple covered Model S's and two small scale models of something. Far right looks like the James Bond sub car.
View attachment 88595View attachment 88596
The one in the lower left looks to have a different roof line but that could just be my head playing tricks on me. the middle of the cars in the top frame could be the new roadster design right?

That wooden? Model X on the video certainly look VERY much like the mules, all the way to the Model S -like rear bumper and rear diffuser. Even the adaptive spoiler is there. Would Tesla make such a model of a fake decoy - or is it an earlier design they have since changed for production?

I agree about no test drives for first orders. That is normal for most new premium cars in many parts of the world.

As for secondary charge port, I don't believe in it - even though the mule wrapping has shown some activity in the area - but I would welcome it though. There are many chargers where Model S port placement is troublesome - in my neck of the woods anyway.

So I just watched the segment online - no VPN wizardry needed, just go to the Australian broadcaster's site and you can watch the entire 12 minute piece. Now there is one thing that "does not compute" to me - and feel free to call me crazy here. I am with those that have said, the fact we still see badly fitted mules running around means nothing for the X launch, as Tesla never stops testing - either for durability of parts or for new features. Having said that, one would think that the clay model phase of the Model X is long gone.

Which begs the question: what the hell is the car behind the two Australian guys they interview in the studio? Half the back is uncovered and they say they cannot show us the whole thing. Well, the external design of the X is not a secret (save for a few minor changes) and the back of that model surely looks way too short (behind the rear wheels) for an X. Could that be an early design concept of the Model Y, Model 3's SUV sibling? The interview seems very recent, there is even talk of the last (failed) SpaceX launch.

Model 3 is already in clay stage (we know that from the WaitButWhy posts), so it is not entirely in the realm of crazy, that Y could be there too.
whatclay.PNG

Last edited:
That wooden? Model X on the video certainly look VERY much like the mules, all the way to the Model S -like rear bumper and rear diffuser. Even the adaptive spoiler is there. Would Tesla make such a model of a fake decoy - or is it an earlier design they have since changed for production?
As for secondary charge port, I don't believe in it
I think the small exposed area of that X in the Hawthorne Tesla Design office was a clay model, not wood.
I agree with you that the X won't have two charge ports.