Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the driver and more importantly, the plaid shirt? It seems like its on regular roads, yet it must be parked there?
It does appear to be missing a lot of trim: around the front left wheel well; around the front and rear right windows (you can see silver chrome trim behind the rear window).
And finally, it appears that the rear window is made from 2 panes of glass (strange).

--updated--

Looks like it was being loaded into a trailer, and thats why there wasn't a driver. A quick search on Google maps shows that this is at 3495 Deer Creek Rd, Palo Alto, right across the street from Tesla.

This is actually one of those times when even I think this shot was intentionally leaked. A new poster, a shot with Model X stationary with a window open.

Sure, being loaded is possible, and a new poster may register just because they are had no reason to register before... Why just one shot, why not get out and document it more...?

Conspiracy theories aside, it is very much like the latest Model X mule(s) we've seen and much discussed. The rear door window is split into two in all the 2015 mules, I guess to allow full window opening for the front part on the falcon wing.

What is interesting on this mule is the dash. Is there just a panel missing or testing rig there, or are they camoing a new dash, a HUD, a screen or something. Probably nothing production-related, considering how much stuff is just barely hanging on on the model, like the wire? in the right back window.

Inconclusive if this mule has the camera(s) or no rear mirror like some, I think this is like the other black mule (or same mule) that has a rear-view mirror...

My post in Model 3 has the link to photo of one of the latest mules for comparisons:

Thank you for sharing a great shot. Looks a bit leak(ish) to me with the driver missing...

Anyway, this is obviously a Model X mule. What is the likeliness of a smaller Model X -lookalike Model 3 being driven around? Not a lot. This one has all the tell-tale signs of falcon wings and I doubt Model 3 will have them.

This reminds me of the first time we sawe the Model X 2015 mule(s), there was also a big thread on it being Model 3... I don't think so.

Could disguised Model X actually be a Model 3 test mule?

Just compare to this:

How much has Model X changed: mule (2015) vs. prototype (2012) silhouette

It is just the angle of the image, blackness and missing trim making it look smaller than it is. In reality, there is plenty of space on the rear.

Why just one shot, why not get out and document it more...?:
FYI: There's were 2 shots.
modelX.jpg

modelX2.jpg

That....thing...has enough room to hold three sets of seats?!?!? Now, there could be a parallax effect in the photo, but (1) JerseyGirl's initial post called it a compact car, and (2) look again at the Royce photo above: similar angle, yet the rear half does not seem foreshortened, does it?

I think lolachamp's hit it: there's your first Model 3, folks:confused:

And what gives with the Michigan plates? Haven't all X mules had California tags?

Hmm.

There also appears to be something off going on in the front wheel well: there is something along the front curve, but I've no clue or suggestion as to what.

Last edited:
The poster also indicated that they were holding up traffic while taking this shot, so that may explain why there were so few pictures. The Model-X appears to be parked in the turning lane, and there are two additional lanes on this roadway, one lane going in each direction.

I do not see any of that traffic they are holding up in the empty-showing side mirror...

I am usually not suspicious, but there have been a couple of these driverless Model X's that seem suspect...

Unless we are to say they are testing driverless cars... ;)

Thank you Paul for sharing the second shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Nor does there appear to any trailer they'd be loading the Model X up in that image. Both side mirrors show an empty road in the two lanes behind.

This time, I actually would guess an insider leak to mess with us. I don't usually guess that, though. Hard to tell usually.

And what gives with the Michigan plates? Haven't all X mules had California tags?

Read the original post again and you will see that it says "they were loading 2 of these compact cars into a hauler with Michigan plates."

- - - Updated - - -

That....thing...has enough room to hold three sets of seats?!?!? \

It doesn't look to me like there's room for a third row of seats with headroom, but neither do any of the other photos of Model X mules which look exactly the same.

I was thinking just that - it is a die-making company, after all.

By the way, those wheel well protectors look like something even a New Jersey chop-shop wouldn't turn out. On a mule that's supposed to be of a model in production in 3-4 months? tell me something else, please!

There is no evidence of a hauler or holding up a traffic behind the car in which the photograph was taken, seen on the side mirror images. Just an empty road.

This time I'd actually guess a deliberate leak or trolling. Similar to the very, very first black mules that were seen in the middle of the road in front of a gas station.

Many other times Model X seen on road are probably not insider leaks, but this one smells like it.

Deer Creek Road is the short cut to beat the left turn traffic at Foothill & Arastadero. There are always cars cutting across there. There's no shoulder on that road so I had to briefly stop on the main stretch. There was a guy by the loading truck 2X my size I didn't want to have an altercation with too.

I do not see any of that traffic they are holding up in the empty-showing side mirror...

I am usually not suspicious, but there have been a couple of these driverless Model X's that seem suspect...

Unless we are to say they are testing driverless cars... ;)

Thank you Paul for sharing the second shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Nor does there appear to any trailer they'd be loading the Model X up in that image. Both side mirrors show an empty road in the two lanes behind.

This time, I actually would guess an insider leak to mess with us. I don't usually guess that, though. Hard to tell usually.

Is there any reason to think this is not an X simply based on timing. Am I wrong in thinking there is no more time for X mules, that Tesla should be finalizing everything to begin production?
The car in the picture looks like a prototype, if the X is still at the stage, are we looking at another delay?

Deer Creek Road is the short cut to beat the left turn traffic at Foothill & Arastadero. There are always cars cutting across there. There's no shoulder on that road so I had to briefly stop on the main stretch. There was a guy by the loading truck 2X my size I didn't want to have an altercation with too.

I appreciate you posting. Of course the problem with Internet is that it is very hard to know what motivations posters have and who posts them. Not that any of this matters much, it is a nice shot of a Model X.

To me the images looked like they were shot while parked on the side of the road (the white line) and that the lane(s) behind are empty. I would have expect a loading truck 2X your size to have shown in the mirror, as well as that traffic that is being held up. It also puzzles me that if this really is a busy through-fare, why would Tesla park cars in the middle of the road to load them.

It just looked staged (like the first black mule shot from early this year), but of course reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

model_x_sighting_rearview.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is the location:

https://www.google.fi/maps/@37.39389,-122.148669,3a,75y,324.06h,78.63t/

The middle lane and bus stop (and SAP sign in the mirror) show clearly - and of course the location is obvious.

That said, while I don't see traffic being held up as claimed, I do think the side window may show reflection of a truck loading cars into (or out of?) in the middle of the road.

Going testing somewhere?

Anyway, a Model 3 I doubt that is. Looks like a Model X mule to the T.

Last edited:
The hauler was in the center lane. I don't think you'd be able to see that with my mirror? It was a large closed two story hauler. I live near the McLaren/Volvo/Tesla dealers at the corner of Arasterdero & El Camino and they all usually use a single car closed hauler to move vehicles for service around. It was strange seeing a large one in the turning lane.
I posted cause I'm debating my friend what I saw. He thinks its a model X. This car was really small so I didn't think so?

I appreciate you posting. Of course the problem with Internet is that it is very hard to know what motivations posters have and who posts them. Not that any of this matters much, it is a nice shot of a Model X.

To me the images looked like they were shot while parked on the side of the road (the white line) and that the lane(s) behind are empty. I would have expect a loading truck 2X your size to have shown in the mirror, as well as that traffic that is being held up. It also puzzles me that if this really is a busy through-fare, why would Tesla park cars in the middle of the road to load them.

It just looked staged (like the first black mule shot from early this year), but of course reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

View attachment 82368

The hauler was in the center lane. I don't think you'd be able to see that with my mirror? It was a large closed two story hauler. I live near the McLaren/Volvo/Tesla dealers at the corner of Arasterdero & El Camino and they all usually use a single car closed hauler to move vehicles for service around. It was strange seeing a large one in the turning lane.
I posted cause I'm debating my friend what I saw. He thinks its a model X. This car was really small so I didn't think so?

Fair enough, I think I see the trailer in your side window showing... the black thing? Unfortunate timing on it now showing on the mirrors for context. Looks like a lonely abandoned Model X in the middle of the road. ;)

I do think it is a Model X, though.

And in whatever it is, thank you to anyone - always - for posting Tesla mule sightings. :) So, thank you.