Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's just the prototype/mockup on display at the Tesla Design Studio in Hawthorne, CA. Here's an almost identical photo, but with Steve Wozniak instead (he posted this pic as part of an April Fools prank back in 2014).

Bl8MS5CIcAAbAIn.jpg

You can also see the center screen extending over the top of the dash, which was one of the earlier prototype designs, i believe.

This post was published in the Model 3 thread but this Model X was spotted recently by "Jersey Girl".

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ove-by-today?p=1022110&viewfull=1#post1022110

Where is the driver and more importantly, the plaid shirt? It seems like its on regular roads, yet it must be parked there?
It does appear to be missing a lot of trim: around the front left wheel well; around the front and rear right windows (you can see silver chrome trim behind the rear window).
And finally, it appears that the rear window is made from 2 panes of glass (strange).

--updated--

Looks like it was being loaded into a trailer, and thats why there wasn't a driver. A quick search on Google maps shows that this is at 3495 Deer Creek Rd, Palo Alto, right across the street from Tesla.

Last edited:
Sorry to DP - I couldn't see an edit function. Have just had a second look at the photo, and it's hard to imagine 3 rows of seats inside of that thing. The second row would be positioned halfway back of the second window to allow space for rear passengers to squeeze through. If you follow the height line of the front row of seating backwards and allow enough spacing then the third row seating headrests would be touching the roof of the rear hatch :confused:

Then again surely it's too soon for 3 mules... are we sure this is a Tesla? The plot thickens... :rolleyes:

if you zoom onto the side of the car, you can see a little T logo. I took the pic at Deer Creek Rd & Arastadero. I live at el Camino & Arastadero so maybe I'll see it again. I'm usually on the look out for the P1 on that stretch home. I saw one once going into the dealership and I'm kicking myself for not getting a pic still.

What is going on with that rear quarter window? It looks like three separate panes of glass with the middle one more inset than the others. Why chrome on part of it? It does look way too short to be a Model X. But it is also very similar to the X and the S, which I thought Elon wanted to get away from. Or maybe he just wanted to get the Model 3 away from looking like other non-Tesla cars. If it is the Model 3, they need to lower the back (unless it's on high with air suspension).

It's got a split in the roofline above the B pillar, so falcon wing doors.

Not necessarily. Chevy Volt and a lot of other cars have full metal frames around the windows. It is less expensive to build that way and still achieve safety requirements. Since Model 3 is going to be a less expensive vehicle, that could be one of the design changes incorporated.

This vehicle looks like a Tesla version of a Mercedes B Class - could totally be a 3 IMHO.

Nope. The frame around the front door goes all the way down to the front wing (so that doesn't open), but on the rear door you can clearly see breaks in the B and C pillars, so that goes with the door. It would be pretty weird if the rear door hinged normally and took the frame with it and the front door didn't.

Nope. The frame around the front door goes all the way down to the front wing (so that doesn't open), but on the rear door you can clearly see breaks in the B and C pillars, so that goes with the door. It would be pretty weird if the rear door hinged normally and took the frame with it and the front door didn't.

Good point. And I don't see having the production expense of anything besides standard doors in the 3 - unless Tesla figured out some magical way of making wing doors for the same cost as traditional ones.

Does anyone know how the Model S was first designed?

It was my understanding that the skateboard was designed first, and then a body placed on top. Could this be a Model 3 skateboard with a body thrown together on top?

If it is a mule for the 3 chassis, it is one of the most "production ready" looking mules I have ever seen....but, it isn't like Tesla is Chevy, where they could just throw last generation's Malibu body over a chassis they are testing.

If it is a mule for the 3 chassis, it is one of the most "production ready" looking mules I have ever seen....but, it isn't like Tesla is Chevy, where they could just throw last generation's Malibu body over a chassis they are testing.

Right, but they make most of their body panels in house, could they not just punch out a few panels, and go? Seems to me that with the popularity of CUVs in the US, it might not be a bad idea to lead with one for the initial Model 3 offering.

Right, but they make most of their body panels in house, could they not just punch out a few panels, and go? Seems to me that with the popularity of CUVs in the US, it might not be a bad idea to lead with one for the initial Model 3 offering.

"Punching out panels in-house" requires expensive dies. The dies are usually made after prototypes have finalized to the production-ready form. Before that, panels are made in a labor-intensive outside facility.

In a weird way, kind of reminds me of the Rolls-Royce "Cullinan" which is a mule for its upcoming SUV:

Rolls-Royce-Cullinan-SUV.jpg

I actually think this could be a Model 3 mule. The siamesed door handles did throw me off a little, but the nose looks like a Model S, not a Model X. If Tesla is targeting CY 2018 for the Model 3, I have to think some early stage R&D is happening now.

View attachment 82316

I live near Tesla headquarters in Palo Alto & they were loading 2 of these compact cars into a hauler with Michigan plates. I think it's the compact model? Can someone verify?

Thank you for sharing a great shot. Looks a bit leak(ish) to me with the driver missing...

Anyway, this is obviously a Model X mule. What is the likeliness of a smaller Model X -lookalike Model 3 being driven around? Not a lot. This one has all the tell-tale signs of falcon wings and I doubt Model 3 will have them.

This reminds me of the first time we sawe the Model X 2015 mule(s), there was also a big thread on it being Model 3... I don't think so.

Could disguised Model X actually be a Model 3 test mule?

Just compare to this:

How much has Model X changed: mule (2015) vs. prototype (2012) silhouette

It is just the angle of the image, blackness and missing trim making it look smaller than it is. In reality, there is plenty of space on the rear.