Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hauler was in the center lane. I don't think you'd be able to see that with my mirror? It was a large closed two story hauler. I live near the McLaren/Volvo/Tesla dealers at the corner of Arasterdero & El Camino and they all usually use a single car closed hauler to move vehicles for service around. It was strange seeing a large one in the turning lane.
I posted cause I'm debating my friend what I saw. He thinks its a model X. This car was really small so I didn't think so?
There's little reason to believe it's anything but a Model X. It matches the look of all the Model X prototypes we've seen thus far and Model 3 is still in its early modeling stages. Model X is on the small side of 7 passenger crossovers, but I think you will find the lack of an engine, transmission, and other hardware associated with ICE vehicles will allow them to give a lot of space back to the passenger cabin and make it feel roomy.

Is there any reason to think this is not an X simply based on timing. Am I wrong in thinking there is no more time for X mules, that Tesla should be finalizing everything to begin production?
The car in the picture looks like a prototype, if the X is still at the stage, are we looking at another delay?

Why would there be such a reason? Even if Tesla was punching out production-grade vehicles in the factory, that doesn't mean they couldn't be testing some sub-systems still on banged up mules on the road?

That said I take the poster's word this was not staged, it looks like they may have been hauling Model X mule(s) for testing somewhere.

Or maybe to be crushed... if they no longer need the mules... ;)

Just like in January, this is one thing I actually think Occam's Razor really puts this to rest:

1) A car that looks like known Model X mules is spotted outside of the Tesla factory, some weeks or months before the expected Model X launch.

2) The car shows the usual missing trim, the camouflaged nosecone, everything we know from the Model X mules intimately. It is all there.

3) The car even has falcon wing doors, the signature handles, with the protruding prototype glass, in all the right places. It has that huge front window extending above the front passengers, like on Model X.

4) Last but definitely not least, the years between now and expected Model 3 launch - and the word inside says Model 3 is yet nothing but a clay model, let alone anything to drive on the road - suggests it is unlikely to see a Model 3 on the road.

Now, theoretically, of course it could be a Model 3 platform tester of some sort with metal borrowed from existing Tesla's... but wouldn't that be the easiest done with Model S, not Model X which itself is still in development...

By the way, are you OP sure they were loading the cars... could they have been unloading them? Maybe they had been testing out of state or something.

Check out the prototype I drove by today

That is obviously an X, and likely the same one that was recently photographed and videoed on Sand Hill Road.
That car is sitting pretty high. Look at the gap between the top of the tires and the fender edge. Either the air suspension is set on extra high or there is no battery in that vehicle.
View attachment 82316

I live near Tesla headquarters in Palo Alto & they were loading 2 of these compact cars into a hauler with Michigan plates. I think it's the compact model? Can someone verify?

It does seem like an odd place to park, but it is right at the front gate for the entrance to that Tesla location.

Maybe the OP was referring to oncoming traffic being help up (and not traffic behind her). Also, I think she meant the truck driver was 2x her size, not the truck.

True. But I guess in front of Tesla would also be a good place to stage a photoshoot. :)

That said, I do believe the poster was a passer-by. It was just musings that on gathering data I think came to nothing. Goes to show how easily Internet makes things look suspect even when they may not be. :) Anyway, I do appreciate them posting!

Fair enough, I think I see the trailer in your side window showing... the black thing? Unfortunate timing on it now showing on the mirrors for context. Looks like a lonely abandoned Model X in the middle of the road. ;)

I do think it is a Model X, though.

And in whatever it is, thank you to anyone - always - for posting Tesla mule sightings. :) So, thank you.

Thanks Jersey Girl. This is definitely some form of a Model-X (e.g. mule, prototype, beta, etc.). The Model 3 won't be shown until around March 2016.

AR: if you look at the two photos, you'll see the reflection from the truck -> back window -> mirror of the lower photo. You can see the whole outline of the truck, especially the cab from the truck -> car side -> mirror of the upper photo. The top of the trailer has a white trim reflection that goes across almost the whole side of the car.

And I'm in agreement with your Google Maps location.

No conspiracy to see here...move along...

The cars weren't moving at the time so maybe they were unloading instead of being loaded? I drove by around 7:30pm yesterday.

Just like in January, this is one thing I actually think Occam's Razor really puts this to rest:

1) A car that looks like known Model X mules is spotted outside of the Tesla factory, some weeks or months before the expected Model X launch.

2) The car shows the usual missing trim, the camouflaged nosecone, everything we know from the Model X mules intimately. It is all there.

3) The car even has falcon wing doors, the signature handles, with the protruding prototype glass, in all the right places. It has that huge front window extending above the front passengers, like on Model X.

4) Last but definitely not least, the years between now and expected Model 3 launch - and the word inside says Model 3 is yet nothing but a clay model, let alone anything to drive on the road - suggests it is unlikely to see a Model 3 on the road.

Now, theoretically, of course it could be a Model 3 platform tester of some sort with metal borrowed from existing Tesla's... but wouldn't that be the easiest done with Model S, not Model X which itself is still in development...

By the way, are you OP sure they were loading the cars... could they have been unloading them? Maybe they had been testing out of state or something.

The cars weren't moving at the time so maybe they were unloading instead of being loaded? I drove by around 7:30pm yesterday.

If they had Michigan plates, I wonder if they are back from a testing round there?

The mule indeed looks quite banged up... Did a quick lens and perspective adjust on the thing and I'd say in the photo the car looks so big because the camera lens had magnified the nose and made the rear look tiny in comparison.

model_x_comparison.jpg

I see no reason to think this is not a Model X. Especially if they were testing in Michigan... considering the Model 3 roadmap, it is hard to see why they'd have taken Model 3 mules there this yearly.

Why would there be such a reason? Even if Tesla was punching out production-grade vehicles in the factory, that doesn't mean they couldn't be testing some sub-systems still on banged up mules on the road?

That said I take the poster's word this was not staged, it looks like they may have been hauling Model X mule(s) for testing somewhere.

Or maybe to be crushed... if they no longer need the mules... ;)

Because it does not look like sub systems or small details. It looks the falcon wing door is pretty cobbled together, the dash might be prototype, there is that black thing by the front wheel, the nose-cone area seems one-off. I guess I am just hoping it is a Model 3, the OP said it was more like the size of a Focus.

That is obviously an X, and likely the same one that was recently photographed and videoed on Sand Hill Road.
That car is sitting pretty high. Look at the gap between the top of the tires and the fender edge. Either the air suspension is set on extra high or there is no battery in that vehicle.

Are you sure it is the same. It looks like this had Michigan plates and stickers in the side windows not seen before. Maybe this was testing out of state - freshly off the truck having done it's testing? More discussion here.

Model X it is, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it does not look like sub systems or small details. It looks the falcon wing door is pretty cobbled together, the dash might be prototype, there is that black thing by the front wheel, the nose-cone area seems one-off. I guess I am just hoping it is a Model 3, the OP said it was more like the size of a Focus.

All those things have applied to recent Model X sightings, the mules have looked very rough and many have had similar trim missing as this one.

There is no evidence of a hauler or holding up a traffic behind the car in which the photograph was taken, seen on the side mirror images. Just an empty road.

This time I'd actually guess a deliberate leak or trolling. Similar to the very, very first black mules that were seen in the middle of the road in front of a gas station.

Many other times Model X seen on road are probably not insider leaks, but this one smells like it.

Trailer is visible. Right side of mirror reflection.

Earlier this month, Tim Urban (who writes the Wait But Why blog), mentioned going on a factory tour when he interviewed Elon for his blog. The article was published this month. The whole process started with a phone call "last month".
See: Elon Musk: The Worlds Raddest Man | Wait But Why

Thanks for this, I think. I followed the links from the referenced blog post until I reached "Our Immortality or Extinction". Now I stand here with at least a cursory appreciation for why Elon Musk is so concerned about AI and what it might mean for the future of our species. And it is not a comfortable place to stand.