Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a sighting on my way home from work in the Detroit area! Sorry for the crappy photo, but it was through my windshield across the intersection while it was raining. What's interesting is the headlights were on and you can see accent lights located in the lower fascia.

View attachment 85837

Thank for sharing. The model s had very distinct head lights with the LED curves. Did the Model X have the same pattern? I assume it is impossible to see in the picture because it is over exposed.

Thank for sharing. The model s had very distinct head lights with the LED curves. Did the Model X have the same pattern? I assume it is impossible to see in the picture because it is over exposed.
The only thing visible in the headlight assemblies were the main beams. The rest, including any potential accent lighting, was masked out as we've seen on the other test vehicles. I could not tell whether the headlights were HID or LED, but the color of the low beams and the fascia accents matched and were similar to that of a Model S.

On the TMS the LED lights automatically turn off and the normal headlights goes on if the window wiper setting is anything but off in rainy/cloudy/snowy weather.

I'm guessing it's the same configuration here as well. Since it was obviously raining, the wipers would be turned on and the LED's switched off for better visibility with the normal headlights on.

I'm still open to bets that the body we're seeing is NOT what is going to come off the production line. To be clear, I don't believe for a second that they're showing us the final car. And yeah. I know how many of you are going to trot out the 'but thats not how it works' response. You don't listen to Elon Musk stand up and publicly say that you won't know what it looks like until the first one is delivered, go drive around and wave at cameras, and expect to keep your job for longer than a nanosecond after you park the vehicle.

So. Any takers? Name the bet. (I'm not talking minor differences. I am saying that we will see a different front end and back end. A different profile.)

I'm still open to bets that the body we're seeing is NOT what is going to come off the production line. To be clear, I don't believe for a second that they're showing us the final car. And yeah. I know how many of you are going to trot out the 'but thats not how it works' response. You don't listen to Elon Musk stand up and publicly say that you won't know what it looks like until the first one is delivered, go drive around and wave at cameras, and expect to keep your job for longer than a nanosecond after you park the vehicle.

So. Any takers? Name the bet. (I'm not talking minor differences. I am saying that we will see a different front end and back end. A different profile.)
No bet from me, I do not like the look of the mules we have seen given they are all taped up. Hope it is sleeker looking and does not look like it has been hit from the rear and pushed in. No matter what cannot wait to see your Model X, will even bring some Zinfandel to toast your delivery.

I'll take that bet, with one stipulation--assuming the first car is shown to buyers and/or delivered by September, I'd say that there is a zero percent chance that it will look different in any major way from what we're seeing on the road. Elon's comments are, IMHO, either directed at the interior (which we still haven't really seen) or are just another example of...shall we say...over-promising? Optimistic predictions? He is not immune from such things.

And as I've said elsewhere, if Tesla really *has* spent all the time and money necessary to build a ghost fleet of ostensible prototypes that look substantially different than the final product, just to head fake their prospective customers, then as a shareholder I'll be pretty pissed. What a colossal waste of time and money that would be, and for what end? It's not like there are a bunch of competitors out there waiting to "fast follow" Tesla's lead when it comes to styling. No one's doing that. The only people who really care what the prototypes look like are the obsessive followers of the automotive industry and people who've put down deposits. Everyone else could not care less.

Anyway. I don't need to bet anything in particular. I'm just laying down a marker--the cars we've seen (on the street in Palo Alto, and in the supplier's facility in MI) are the cars we will see, minor trim variation aside.

No bet from me, I do not like the look of the mules we have seen given they are all taped up. Hope it is sleeker looking and does not look like it has been hit from the rear and pushed in. No matter what cannot wait to see your Model X, will even bring some Zinfandel to toast your delivery.

​...like anyone with more than 5 posts is going to be dumb enough to bet against Bonnie.....

I think I already owe Bonnie my right kidney based on all the bets I placed along the way, and lost. I will sit this one out.

edit: I owe Dirk a latte and Nigel a couple beers........I will stick to TSLA options

Please clarify your bet. FYI: You still owe me from losing the gigafactory wager (I wagered Nevada would be the location and you said Arizona). Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread - Page 41 :biggrin:

For this wager: Do pictures count? In other words, are you implying that we won't see the car in the design studio or on Tesla's website prior to configuration and locking in a non-refundable $40K? Are we blindly picking a color and rims without knowing what the lines and profile are?

Are suggesting we are buying a car that is going to look fundamentally different than what we've ever seen without even viewing it in a design studio on-line?

Last edited:
Please clarify your bet. FYI: You still owe me from losing the gigafactory wager (I wagered Nevada would be the location and you said Arizona). :biggrin:

For this wager: Do pictures count? In other words, are you implying that we won't see the car in the design studio or on Tesla's website prior to configuration and locking in a non-refundable $40K? Are we blindly picking a color and rims without knowing what the lines and profile are?

Are suggesting we are buying a car that is going to look fundamentally different than what we've ever seen without even viewing it in a design studio on-line?

I think I already owe Bonnie my right kidney based on all the bets I placed along the way, and lost. I will sit this one out.

edit: I owe Dirk a latte and Nigel a couple beers........I will stick to TSLA options

Just to keep the record straight....I lost a bet to this guy too:biggrin:! Gentleman's bet that we would not see $275 this year........Glad I lost that one.

Please clarify your bet. FYI: You still owe me from losing the gigafactory wager (I wagered Nevada would be the location and you said Arizona). Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread - Page 41 :biggrin:

No argument. But I never got an answer as to what we were betting, so it's a bit difficult to pay up. :) I DID ask.

I think I was pretty clear. The mules that have been seen & are being discussed on this thread are not the same profile as what will be delivered. You're asking me to go down a rabbit hole & predict that no one will make a mistake, for instance, and let something slip. I'm not going to play semantics on 'does a picture count' or predict Tesla's timing for releasing information. I'm merely making the simple statement that the profiles of the spotted mules are not the same as what will be delivered.

Now if you want to parse a statement to death, there are plenty of threads to choose from :).

No argument. But I never got an answer as to what we were betting, so it's a bit difficult to pay up. :) I DID ask.

I think I was pretty clear. The mules that have been seen & are being discussed on this thread are not the same profile as what will be delivered. You're asking me to go down a rabbit hole & predict that no one will make a mistake, for instance, and let something slip. I'm not going to play semantics on 'does a picture count' or predict Tesla's timing for releasing information. I'm merely making the simple statement that the profiles of the spotted mules are not the same as what will be delivered.

Now if you want to parse a statement to death, there are plenty of threads to choose from :).

My only point is: we will see some rendering of Model X when we configure. At that moment, it will be the first time we see the Model X in it's production form.

I do agree with you (and believe Elon): these mules are just that: test mules. Which reminds me of a famous saying in the poker world: if you can't find the Donkey (i.e., mule) at the table, it's you :biggrin:

My only point is: we will see some rendering of Model X when we configure. At that moment, it will be the first time we see the Model X in it's production form.

I do agree with you (and believe Elon): these mules are just that: test mules. Which reminds me of a famous saying in the poker world: if you can't find the Donkey (i.e., mule) at the table, it's you :biggrin:

Still happy to pay off the previous bet ... bragging rights enough, since we never agreed on anything?

Forget the bet. I want to see this quote. The only thing I remember him saying is that there will be no reveal event.

Forget the bet. I want to see this quote. The only thing I remember him saying is that there will be no reveal event.

On the Feb 11 2015 Q4 conference call, Elon stated: Not going to show Model X until it's delivered.

You can find the recording of the call on the Investor Relations area of Tesla's website. Or do a google search on it. It was widely reported at the time.