Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, here's my full WAG on this picture:

View attachment 88662

That's a reasonable guess. I'm gonna go a little different on one point, though - I'm betting the "model 3 w/falcon door" is actually half model 3/half Model Y (Model 3X? whatever the Model 3 CUV version ends up being called) clay model that I've heard mentioned a couple times on the forum (I think that tidbit came from an interview, but I'm not sure?)

The "door" section isn't nearly tall/wide enough to have created a viable door opening IMHO (it doesn't stick out from the roof line at all and isn't high enough to have the whole sidewall in it) - and I'm pretty sure we've been told that they have a half and half clay model.
Walter

That's a reasonable guess. I'm gonna go a little different on one point, though - I'm betting the "model 3 w/falcon door" is actually half model 3/half Model Y (Model 3X? whatever the Model 3 CUV version ends up being called) clay model that I've heard mentioned a couple times on the forum (I think that tidbit came from an interview, but I'm not sure?)

The "door" section isn't nearly tall/wide enough to have created a viable door opening IMHO (it doesn't stick out from the roof line at all and isn't high enough to have the whole sidewall in it) - and I'm pretty sure we've been told that they have a half and half clay model.
Walter

This is what I meant about the suspected model 3 clay model. That last vehicle on the right under the black cover is S sized. Fish eye lense and all.

The one in the lower left looks to have a different roof line but that could just be my head playing tricks on me. the middle of the cars in the top frame could be the new roadster design right?

This is a Model X thread, but to reply to this post: That clearly looks like a model S with a new single piece glass windshield/roof (like the X will have in the front). Looks like the windshield goes all the way over to the back. Wonder if this is just experimental, or if they are seriously thinking like that.
I always wondered if the next thing in car design would be making tighter joints between glass and metal like how iPhone are made (obviously tricky since cars flex and undergo a lot of loads, and different materials expand differently with temperature. But if it can be done it would lead to better aero and look much better. This looks like the right approach to removing joints.

Also worth noting that model S prototype has no side mirrors and the roof line is more teardrop shaped- probably another aero improvement.

attachment.php.png

This is a Model X thread, but to reply to this post: That clearly looks like a model S with a new single piece glass windshield/roof (like the X will have in the front). Looks like the windshield goes all the way over to the back. Wonder if this is just experimental, or if they are seriously thinking like that.
I always wondered if the next thing in car design would be making tighter joints between glass and metal like how iPhone are made (obviously tricky since cars flex and undergo a lot of loads, and different materials expand differently with temperature. But if it can be done it would lead to better aero and look much better. This looks like the right approach to removing joints.

Also worth noting that model S prototype has no side mirrors and the roof line is more teardrop shaped- probably another aero improvement.

View attachment 88716

How will trunk open?

Or it's a big drawer. :)

That must be the never-before-seen-on-a-car feature of the Model X. A full sized drawer under the floor. They had to get it just right so the trailer hitch mount wouldn't block it. It also contains a metal-aluminum battery tray, unfolding 100m^2 SpaceX inspired solar array, and three wind turbines. If you have to take the trailer off every time you supercharge, you might as well set up the Rube Goldberg Tesla Motors Range Enhancer (TM). Unfortunately, you still have to plug it all into the new right hand charge port, but they will hardwire the equipment "soon."

That must be the never-before-seen-on-a-car feature of the Model X. A full sized drawer under the floor. They had to get it just right so the trailer hitch mount wouldn't block it. It also contains a metal-aluminum battery tray, unfolding 100m^2 SpaceX inspired solar array, and three wind turbines. If you have to take the trailer off every time you supercharge, you might as well set up the Rube Goldberg Tesla Motors Range Enhancer (TM). Unfortunately, you still have to plug it all into the new right hand charge port, but they will hardwire the equipment "soon."

Why wouldn't they just use Tardis technology instead??? :confused:

That isn't even 5ft tall. So the Tesla SUV is going to be shorter in height than a European hatchback. :confused:

Could be a scale model, could be an early model, could be a concept model....

These shots were from slightly different perspectives but a comparison suggests quite some differences apart from height:
Untitled1.jpg

Of course it could also be that the mules are camo'd or are not the final design :eek:, or it could be that the design has progressed since the clay model stage....now wouldn't that be a novelty! ;-)

That isn't even 5ft tall. So the Tesla SUV is going to be shorter in height than a European hatchback. :confused:

If I remember correctly, in some earlier threads, people compared pictures of the Model S (with height known) to the concept X (height unknown) and calculated the height to be around 68 inch/5.67ft

As to the screenshot of the 60 minutes video, it's possible that the men standing in front of it, are actually much closer to the camera than it appears at a first glance. If so, it's (small) size might be a perspective issue.

Assuming the wheels are 21", then you can measure the height, multiply it out and see the clay model is indeed over 5 feet tall. Then again, doing the same math on the picture on the right comes out to be several inches shorter. :confused:

Last edited:
Could be a scale model, could be an early model, could be a concept model....

These shots were from slightly different perspectives but a comparison suggests quite some differences apart from height:
View attachment 88769
Of course it could also be that the mules are camo'd or are not the final design :eek:, or it could be that the design has progressed since the clay model stage....now wouldn't that be a novelty! ;-)

This is an older pic of one of the mules, before we started seeing the spoiler. I think there is a false hatch lid on top of the real hatch to disguise the spoiler. That would explain the difference in proportions.

Edit--that said, there is a difference in where the hatch cut line is located, as well.

This is an older pic of one of the mules, before we started seeing the spoiler. I think there is a false hatch lid on top of the real hatch to disguise the spoiler. That would explain the difference in proportions.

Edit--that said, there is a difference in where the hatch cut line is located, as well.
The cut line for the back edge of the falcon wing door is missing as well.