Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have these been posted?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CM0w0wyUYAE1qKL.jpg
CM0w0wyUYAE1qKL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CM0w0w_VAAAjiQc.jpg
CM0w0w_VAAAjiQc.jpg

the front looks very pointy.... IMO the beta looked much better. maybe its just the photo angle

That is the same nose as (what we assume are) Betas. It looks pointy from many angles. That does not seem to be one of the latest mules.

However, the latest glossy painted and latest white wrapped mule seem to have a blunter nose due to a new bumper with a beefier crossbar in the middle. I won't post links as it bugs people but the new bumper and the evolution of the Model X nose has been posted on this forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Interesting test rigging there.

These are not with the latest bumper though, as the beefier, blunter cross bar is missing though.

Exciting to see all these new photos. FlatSix, here's a lightened version of your door photo...

View attachment 91197

The door looks really good.

Finally Tesla is using the space in the thick doors. Looks like after all they will be providing more storage space in the car for the small items - just remember all the chargers that need a RFID card for activation.

If they figured out how to place useful cupholders,
that alone should boost sales by .. what? 50 % ;)

So here is my 2 cents on the discussion over design change and some of the confusion all these new mule photos create.

I do not expect Tesla to crush all the mules built so far. Why would they? They have sure produced 20-30 or even more mules over the past 2 years (and especially lately). Some of them represented an earlier design revision, others had hand built parts and parts borrowed from the Model S just so they can test. Hell, the very first X test mule was probably an S with added weight and AWD.

The point is, all these mules are still around, used for durability testing, SW and Autopilot HW testing, etc. some of them have older headlights, barely fitting doors and bolted on rear spoilers (maybe not even functional just for aerodynamics/range testing). We are seeing all of them mixed in these posts, so even if we see a brand new photo and the doors are not fully closing, the headlights are different, etc. that does not mean anything for the production schedule.

As for final design, I too agree Mr. Blue is probably the latest (final?) revision and I very much like what I see. I think the concept rendering was beautiful, the first SUV i actually liked and would be proud of owning. I really hope that some of the more whaleish mules out there only look like that for reasons above and camera distortions plus black color + black tape and white color + white tape playing tricks on our eyes.

BTW I like the Model X more as I see the mules evolving over time, and I would normally prefer a sedan like Model S.

What I really like is that Tesla decided to give the X a design that makes it brother/sister to Model X at first sight.
IMO this will help Tesla Motors a big deal to establish an even stronger brand.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a thought about those cars on their way to Deer Creek HQ: isn't that where the Tesla crash Team is based?

Do you think we could get the crash test results soon?

In a crash test you're testing not only the frame but also the interior trim (think of something that will came loose in a crash will become a projectile) so i don't think they'll test the early prototypes/mules but rather a production candidate. A mule testing only to validate the computer modeling of the frame behaviour in an accident doesn't make sense financialy.

Last edited:
Right, so they've obviously done that with the new non-black/white Model Xs, but I was questioning whether those vehicles were destined to be crash tested. I would think they would crash test a plain old white non-metallic paint one.

If they're testing the paint shop with a release candidate, then the color of paint is inconsequential - already a sunk cost associated with testing the paint shop.

I am in the camp that these are going for possible crash testing AND...how about letting some of the service techs actually start seeing them? I would prefer the first X they see/work on is not yours or mine. :wink:

My usual 'spitballing'....

Last edited: