Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's entirely possible that the misalignment is on purpose. They're not driving these mules around just so they can be photographed by people like us. There is a purpose behind these test drives. They likely have test/measurement equipment mounted on these mules and it could be interfering with the doors. I've seen many pictures of wires routed through the windows/doors to external cameras, wheel sensors, etc. I'm pretty sure that at this point in time, the doors can close properly if necessary, but they're more concerned with collecting data and making sure all aspects of the vehicle are functioning at peak efficiency.
I'm with you with that the bad alignment in these doors is something to collecting data and so on.
And guys, remember that Tesla and Tesla engineers are the most obsess about drag (because range) in auto makers industry (see hand doors in the model S and first versions of Tesla X without the side mirrors), so these "misaligned" doors are not here to stay. Though this all thing and comments in this forum and others has been a good subject of laughing for Tesla engineers as they read these comments.:biggrin:

Because these vehicles that we are seeing are NOT the final product. My take is that they redesigned the lookd of the car and, because the doors are expensive, they are using the final production doors on these mules which don't line-up. Those are the production doors and will line-up perfectly with the new body. They will re-use these mule doors on demo cars for showrooms.

Bottom line, Elon said we won't see the car until it starts shipping. If that's true, then why are we seeing cars with hardly any camouflage? Doesn't make sense....well, actually it does.

I'm sure this discussion has occurred several times by now, but just wanted to reiterate what I think is the reality of Elon's statement. He said they wouldn't *show* it... as in, have an unveiling and such. He didn't say we wouldn't spot release candidates on the roads around Tesla HQ.

"You are closing it wrong!" replied Musk to allegations of "flushgate".
Exactly! And then they'll release a rubber band in multiple colors that you can put around the door frame and fill the gap...

Seriously, though, I can't believe we have wasted page after page on this again. There is no problem, these are not production cars. These are cars being built to fine tune, align and calibrate the robots, tools and processes they use during assembly. Except Tesla is not crushing these otherwise perfectly good cars, but uses them to further "burn in" the brand new paint shop and then enlists these cars as part of the test fleet. Just because they are close to starting up production, there is no reason why these can't go on for testing future software, autopilot HW, durability, etc.

Or at least, these seems to me as the most logical explanation based on what we know, if you discount Tesla suddenly being incompetent.

The gap is simply because of wires or some test equipment routing around the doors. Has anyone notices that the rear mirrors had a overlapping "layer/sheet" perhaps to hide the second row seats. That may also have to do with "flushgate". Now with that if I may lets end flushgate here.

Regarding the often discussed mis-alignment of the rear doors and trim, my powers of deduction guide me to think:
-Rear seats are the biggest secret about this car.
-We've already seen the exterior in some form or another (I wish not to enter the debate over mule vs final-ish version).
-EM keeps referencing the beauty (aesthetics and utility?) of the rear seats.

Hence, it's Tesla going through extra precautions to shield the rear seats from all of our wonderful Model X paparazzi. It may not be coincidental that we haven't seen any back seat interior images...

The gap is simply because of wires or some test equipment routing around the doors. Has anyone notices that the rear mirrors had a overlapping "layer/sheet" perhaps to hide the second row seats. That may also have to do with "flushgate". Now with that if I may lets end flushgate here.

1508601.jpg

Regarding the often discussed mis-alignment of the rear doors and trim, my powers of deduction guide me to think:
-Rear seats are the biggest secret about this car.
-We've already seen the exterior in some form or another (I wish not to enter the debate over mule vs final-ish version).
-EM keeps referencing the beauty (aesthetics and utility?) of the rear seats.

Hence, it's Tesla going through extra precautions to shield the rear seats from all of our wonderful Model X paparazzi. It may not be coincidental that we haven't seen any back seat interior images...
+1 on rear seats being a differentiator. Can't forget the orgasmic (engineering satisfaction) ahhh Musk let out when he talked about the second row seats in one of the interviews.

Spotted a model X in Palo Alto / Portola Valley. The color was approximately titanium metallic.
Just a brief view as it was going the other way... so the dashcam isn't spectacular. I've slowed the video down 4x to see it a little better.
[video]https://youtu.be/i93FQBRULKw[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this discussion has occurred several times by now, but just wanted to reiterate what I think is the reality of Elon's statement. He said they wouldn't *show* it... as in, have an unveiling and such. He didn't say we wouldn't spot release candidates on the roads around Tesla HQ.

Exactly. This late in the game, I seriously doubt that Tesla would be driving around any preproduction Model X vehicles that differ substantially from what will be released to customers soon.

The fact that Tesla's legal people sent a Cease and Desist letter to someone at TMC for photographing a Model X in Tesla's own parking lot suggests that what we are seeing is the real deal. IMO 99.9% likely.

Tesla can only design Model X within the constraints of aerodynamic and interior utility requirements. The overall shape isn't going to change. The real surprises IMO will be with the interior and convenience/tech features.