Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely hilarious. Like those people are so incompetent that they are not able to make those doors align.

I think it's hilarious that people think this is such an easy task that won't go wrong. Sure at some point they will get it right, but if they have a stamping tool with the wrong dimensions there is little they can do short term. A lot of stuff has to be 100% right for it to work...

• Water sealed
  • No air noise
  • No rattling
  • Moving part = makes all of the above harder to archive
  • Hinge must perfectly align the door with the carbody in x, y & z
  • That Door assembly must perfectly align with locking mechanism
  • Lock must safely secure the door
  • Door comes in at an angle: You might design something in CAD that perfectly fits in the end, but you can't get it into that position (obviously you can check that with collision etc. too, but it's just another point where something can go wrong)
  • Falcon Wing doors also have hydraulics or an electric motor which in addition also has to align and provide the right amount of force at the right angle

Seriously people. .... start another thread!

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, most states have an exception to SUVs, vans and limos. You can tint the back windows as much as you'd like. For the most part the front windows are a different story.

Right. I wonder who gets to decide if a vehicle is an SUV in those states, and will the MX qualify.

• Water sealed
  • No air noise
  • No rattling
  • Door comes in at an angle: You might design something in CAD that perfectly fits in the end, but you can't get it into that position (obviously you can check that with collision etc. too, but it's just another point where something can go wrong)
  • Falcon Wing doors also have hydraulics or an electric motor which in addition also has to align and provide the right amount of force at the right angle

Sort of like the rear hatch (or even the Pano roof) on the Model S. Dang, that's going to be hard!. But they told me that it would take 6 weeks to get my car. Hope they're right.

I think it's hilarious that people think this is such an easy task that won't go wrong. Sure at some point they will get it right, but if they have a stamping tool with the wrong dimensions there is little they can do short term. A lot of stuff has to be 100% right for it to work...

• Water sealed
  • No air noise
  • No rattling

It's not as hard as you're making it out to be. You don't need to perfectly align the locking mechanism - just like most car door locks and convertible top mechanisms, you can build a trap in - as long as it hits somewhere in the basket, it'll pull down into the exact position.

Similarly, both the lock assembly and the hinge can be built with adjustment tolerances in their mountings so they can be aligned to the right spot during installation.

These days those sorts of things should be much less necessary with solid modeled assemblies and NC machined tooling and laser verified component geometry - but there are tried and true solutions to all of them.
Walter

I think it's hilarious that people think this is such an easy task that won't go wrong.

Nobody is saying it is easy, but Elon made it pretty clear at the last conference call that the Falcon wing doors weren't holding up Model X production. It's getting the second row seating and some trim pieces from suppliers that has been the issue. The seats are said to be very tricky to produce.

It's not as hard as you're making it out to be. You don't need to perfectly align the locking mechanism - just like most car door locks and convertible top mechanisms, you can build a trap in - as long as it hits somewhere in the basket, it'll pull down into the exact position.

Similarly, both the lock assembly and the hinge can be built with adjustment tolerances in their mountings so they can be aligned to the right spot during installation.

These days those sorts of things should be much less necessary with solid modeled assemblies and NC machined tooling and laser verified component geometry - but there are tried and true solutions to all of them.
Walter

Falcon doors need to be aligned in 3D space where hatch and doors do not. For example, nicely aligned door handles limit your up and down movement that is required to make good and even seal with the roof.

Another sighting from earlier today in South Palo Alto.

The last frames (example inline) appear to support the idea of a light tube/glass spoiler. Also, door handle alignment looks good, so I expect a lot of celebration.

Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 8.27.52 PM.png

I appreciate that this video helps give some context to the X's size (as someone who hasn't had the opportunity to see one in-person yet). With the original Pilot in front of it, the X looks to be about the same height, and probably a bit wider and longer than the Pilot (at least wheelbase-wise). I'm still slightly concerned that the sloped rear end will eat too much into cargo capacity (part of the point of having an SUV is being able to transport tall things--the sloped rear end cuts into that quite a bit), but we'll see. With less camo, it's definitely looking better.

ModelSvPilot.JPG