Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X NA owners: would you pay for Spotify?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would and do. I have had a premium subscription on Spotify for years. Sounds much better because I always steam and download in highest quality.

It would be great if I could get to my playlists and favorites on my Model X, like I can on my phone, tablet, and computers.

Not for putting it on the Tesla, there is bluetooth.

I would pay for Waze on the Tesla.

Bluetooth sound quality is nowhere near as good as the native Spotify App in my UK Tesla. It streams Spotify in premium quality too and it kicks the ass out of all other sources I've tried in this particular system. It's as if the Tesla sound system was optimised around Spotify streaming. Tune-in is a big step down in sound quality (although not bad as a back-up) and DAB is another level down from that and a last resort for me.

Now the latest update has finally solved the Spotify freeze-ups, I can now confidently say it is the best in-car music source I've ever heard outside of directly playing lossless files and I don't happen to have millions of those on hand!

You guys should try Tidal (or any other lossless music service). Even through Bluetooth, with the premium sound, it’s a night and day difference between Tidal and highest quality Spotify premium.

I don't believe the "even through Bluetooth" part of that. Bluetooth compression, especially via a phone, is still pretty high and will degrade a lossless source significantly.

But sticking to the specific application here, I have personally tried streaming lossless tracks (saved files, so 100% quality at source) on my phone via Bluetooth to my Tesla (MX with premium sound) and the sound quality is simply not as good as the Tesla Spotify App. Whether this is down to the Bluetooth compression and/or simply the way the Tesla system handles the aux input is anyone's guess. If you are in a US Tesla without Spotify, you will just have to take my word for it!