Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X now available with round steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you were right, it does feel like rolling the dice! In my case I like the way Tesla does business. I don't like the "wait all the way through to one year" thing. The constant upgrades are kind of a cool deal. Yes, we may get shafted, but it's part of the game and we all know what's happening.

The same business plan gives us constant updates to our software. That, is something I really like! Not sure we can have one without the other.

It will be great when other manufacturers can catch up to tesla. I've owned a number of mercedes, and love them. But I can't see myself buying one of their evs. Not even the eqs suv. Much good about it! But too much missing.

Back to Tesla, Elon Musk's overall Constitution, the very thing that made possible the build up of tesla, is also the thing that makes the experience of dealing with Tesla so frustrating. He does not like direct communication with humans. Always want a computer in between. That results in some, shall we say, interesting issues with tesla. The very ones that you are struggling with now. And I do empathize!
Yea there's a reason I keep buying Teslas...I just wish they didn't make it so hard to be a loyal customer. Before my first Tesla I had a Porsche....I do miss the options.

I don't see the connection between software and hardware updates. They can update software all they want, partly because they don't charge retrofits on those. Even with software though.... Why the removal of options for the instrument screen? It's this weird mix of half thought through and "trust us, this is better"...despite all indicators... that really annoys me. But something as fundamental as a steering wheel or a key.... Those shouldn't be surprises and certainly shouldn't come with a price tag.

Generally, I hate the yoke. Don't mind it in simple situations, but the horn solution is insanely stupid, in my opinion. I plan to get a round wheel. BUT, I was assuming the horn on the retrofit would be in the center. Per a service tech, that may not be the case. I have not heard either way. Does anyone know?

(Posted similar question in an MS thread)...
My understanding is that the only thing the round wheel changes is the shape, and the controls are same as the yoke. There was a tweet from Elon almost a year ago that center horn would be enabled via software, but that seems uncertain, to say the least, as there seems to be no switch under the airbag that would enable that.

I test drove a refresh model with the yoke. I might get used to it but the lack of Stalks was a disaster at the roundabouts .I the wheel better .
I could not signal in time especially at the small ones . I also do not understand no Sensors. Such an expensive car no sensors.:(
So for now I keep my old model X 100 D " ( only issue is the slower charging compared to the new refresh, otherwise perfect )

As far as keys. I hate the fob specifically because it is style over function. It is way too easy to hit the buttons because they are not recessed at all or protected by a frame. I put a frame on mine which helped only a little but at some point it started hitting the buttons on its own so I took it off.

I thought the fobs were replaced by "phone as key", not "card as key". Do the refresh models not allow the phone to be used as a key?

My ideal would be to have either a reliable "phone as key" (my brother-in-law had so many problems with the phones that he eventually ordered extra cards for his 3), or a regular fob that has recessed buttons, doesn't care if it looks like a car, and sits in a pocket nicely without buttons getting depressed every time you bend over. I'd also like the card as a backup for if a fob battery dies or you need to lend the car to a friend or valet, or perhaps go on a jog/bike ride that you drive to/from and don't want to have stuff in your pockets.

[Update: I'd almost rather have a key card than the Tesla fob, but for that convenience of just walking up to the car without having to dig in your pockets...]

Reactions: GoVols!
I hate the fob specifically because it is style over function. It is way too easy to hit the buttons because they are not recessed at all or protected by a frame.
I agree. I built a custom cardboard box for my key fob after too many disasters and near disasters from something on the fob getting pressed. The box is covered in decorative duct tape so it doesn’t look as tacky as it sounds. 🤣

I agree. I built a custom cardboard box for my key fob after too many disasters and near disasters from something on the fob getting pressed. The box is covered in decorative duct tape so it doesn’t look as tacky as it sounds. 🤣
Does phone as key not work for you guys. It's excellent for me. I received two fobs and two cards with my Feb 2022 MSLR. I use the card for valets. I've never used the fobs. In fact, they still sit on the shelf where I put them a year ago. I have not even pulled out the plastic barrier from the battery.

Does phone as key not work for you guys. It's excellent for me. I received two fobs and two cards with my Feb 2022 MSLR. I use the card for valets. I've never used the fobs. In fact, they still sit on the shelf where I put them a year ago. I have not even pulled out the plastic barrier from the battery.
I don't always have my phone with me so the fob works for me. My fob is in a cheap rubber case I bought on Amazon. Never had a phantom push.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The phone key thing for me was a disaster. My phone (newest samsung) does not reliably stay/get connected. Like 30% of the time it would be disconnected as I stand next to my car. My office is above my garage and apparently this is close enough that sometimes when i went in my office the door would open. My wifes phone, despite being linked to her profile which has autopresent turned off, would also randomly open the door. Me and my phone would be on the other side of the house and shes loading the kids up in her car (parked next to mine) and randomly the door would open. I even went to far as to get a signal blocking bag for the fob (in the house) to see if this helped (thinking it was seeing the fob and her phone and getting confused). It helped a little but it would still happen. The last straw was a couple weeks ago we were visiting my parents. My phone was removed as a phone key and the fob was in the house (like 50 yards away through 4 walls) and my wife was leaving in her car (parked like 20 yards away from mine). I noticed that my headlights were on as she drove away in the pouring down rain. I went out to check and sure enough, just by driving slowly by my car her phone caused the door to open. Again, its linked to her profile and her profile has autopresent turned off. If I hadn't checked my car would have been sitting in the rain for hours with the door open.

I had my last X for 4 years and NEVER had a problem with the doors opening aside from when i walked up with my fob.

With regard to the phantom button presses, this was only a small issue for me. I ended up setting the car to require 3 button presses to close all the doors. There was more than a few cases when shed be loading the kids in my car and i go to get in and the car decided to close all the doors.

At the end of the day, for us fobs just make more sense. If I want the car to do something I have my fob

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
The phone key thing for me was a disaster. My phone (newest samsung) does not reliably stay/get connected. Like 30% of the time it would be disconnected as I stand next to my car. My office is above my garage and apparently this is close enough that sometimes when i went in my office the door would open. My wifes phone, despite being linked to her profile which has autopresent turned off, would also randomly open the door. Me and my phone would be on the other side of the house and shes loading the kids up in her car (parked next to mine) and randomly the door would open. I even went to far as to get a signal blocking bag for the fob (in the house) to see if this helped (thinking it was seeing the fob and her phone and getting confused). It helped a little but it would still happen. The last straw was a couple weeks ago we were visiting my parents. My phone was removed as a phone key and the fob was in the house (like 50 yards away through 4 walls) and my wife was leaving in her car (parked like 20 yards away from mine). I noticed that my headlights were on as she drove away in the pouring down rain. I went out to check and sure enough, just by driving slowly by my car her phone caused the door to open. Again, its linked to her profile and her profile has autopresent turned off. If I hadn't checked my car would have been sitting in the rain for hours with the door open.

I had my last X for 4 years and NEVER had a problem with the doors opening aside from when i walked up with my fob.

With regard to the phantom button presses, this was only a small issue for me. I ended up setting the car to require 3 button presses to close all the doors. There was more than a few cases when shed be loading the kids in my car and i go to get in and the car decided to close all the doors.

At the end of the day, for us fobs just make more sense. If I want the car to do something I have my fob
Upgrade to an iPhone and all the phone key problems will disappear. :)

The model x round steering wheel retrofit is now “in stock” to order at the Tesla shop.

As much as I love the novelty of the yoke, I’m converting to the wheel.

Attachments

• 0C118EAF-5EA7-42BA-A903-55B403CFE05C.png
    0C118EAF-5EA7-42BA-A903-55B403CFE05C.png
    1 MB · Views: 66
I just ordered. Can’t believe they’re charging $700 for something that should be free. I wonder if they’ll let me keep it. I recently had FSD computer installed in my 2018 Model 3 and they wouldn’t let me keep the old computer.