Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X OEM Tire Troubles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that the OP post is just a little dated, but to say...…
our early 2017 MX had 28,400 before I needed to replace them as the tread depth was barely legal at that point. I drove mostly on standard suspension, sometimes on low suspension (maybe 10% of time), mostly interstate driving. By the end of that 28K miles, the tires were wearing evenly and I never rotated them. The back 275s had just a little more tread on them than the front 265s. And to answer the main question, never had a puncture even after the terrible California potholes and the Nevada snow pots

I did not replace them with Continental tires. I replaced them with Pirelli that actually I like better.
May I ask why you prefer the Pirellis?

May I ask why you prefer the Pirellis?
I guess like any other tire, people will have good and bad things about them. In my case, the price was good (better than the original Continental), reviews were better, more tread and rated at higher mileage, and I had good experience on other cars. After getting them on the car, they were quiet even without the foam. When these wear out, I'll replace them with same. So far I have only 7K miles on them with barely any noticeable wear.

I see that the OP post is just a little dated, but to say...…
our early 2017 MX had 28,400 before I needed to replace them as the tread depth was barely legal at that point. I drove mostly on standard suspension, sometimes on low suspension (maybe 10% of time), mostly interstate driving. By the end of that 28K miles, the tires were wearing evenly and I never rotated them. The back 275s had just a little more tread on them than the front 265s. And to answer the main question, never had a puncture even after the terrible California potholes and the Nevada snow pots

I did not replace them with Continental tires. I replaced them with Pirelli that actually I like better.

Our late 2017 MX is just reaching 28,000 miles and I'm looking at replacing in the next month or two. Which Pirelli's did you get and for how much?

I've been search different forums for advice, but I can't find a consensus and there is a lot different situations mixed in (MS, M3, new, older, different wheel sizes). So far, the main recommendations I've seen at "Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06" and "Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico with noise cancelling system." We want quiet tires, but I'm not anxious to pay for tires at Tesla ($1600 for a set). And i have a friend who swears that tires with insulation have the insulation come loose after a couple of thousand miles.

So what did you get and why?

I have had three flat tires/punctures in the first 8,500 miles with this car.

I had only had one flight tire in my life before. Seriously. So I’m either personally making up for lost time or there is most definitely something unique to these model x tires that makes them much more prone to puncture. Worse.... two of them were not patchable due to being too close to the sidewall.

So I’m either personally making up for lost time or there is most definitely something unique to these model x tires that makes them much more prone to puncture.

It's simply a very heavy car for its class. I've had 1 puncture in 22k miles on standard 20" wheels with stock Michelin tyres. I picked up a screw within the first 500 miles causing a very slow puncture, but nothing at all since. Just replaced the original Michelins with the latest Michelin PS4 SUV which on first impression are very good.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Our late 2017 MX is just reaching 28,000 miles and I'm looking at replacing in the next month or two. Which Pirelli's did you get and for how much?
I've been search different forums for advice, but I can't find a consensus and there is a lot different situations mixed in (MS, M3, new, older, different wheel sizes). So far, the main recommendations I've seen at "Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06" and "Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico with noise cancelling system." We want quiet tires, but I'm not anxious to pay for tires at Tesla ($1600 for a set). And i have a friend who swears that tires with insulation have the insulation come loose after a couple of thousand miles.
So what did you get and why?

Yeah there are a lot of mixed opinions on all sorts of tires. Fortunately there are some good solutions out there for folks that don't want the original Continentals for whatever reason. I think I mentioned why I got the Pirelli tires above, but to answer your other question, I got the Scorpion Verde A/S Plus 265 front and 275 back. They have a little more tread and rated for 65,000 but I think that would NEVER happen on a Tesla. Maybe if you drive on grass for the tire life :D It's been several months and I don't remember the cost, but the wife whom pays the bills just said it was almost exactly $1,000, tires, tax, installed, etc. The road hazard warranty thing cost an extra $170 if bought separately.

I bought at Discount Tire; HOWEVER, I agree with other comments on TMC that knowledge and service at most ANY tire center depends on a lot of factors like training, personnel turnover, installation process, etc. Choose your installer wisely and ask a LOT of questions of the people actually installing the tires.

As a side note, some customers on TMC will swear they never go to XYZ Tire company again, and some will say they love XYZ. It just so happens that Discount Tire up here is the closest one to the gigafactory and they work on many Teslas and know them well and how to lift and install. Example, even when I walked up to the counter, the guy already knew exactly the staggered setup on the MX even before I was about to tell him, and walked me out to the area to show me how they were already lifting and putting tires on a model S. Ironically, Discount Tire in South Reno is not so knowledgeable in my opinion, so even in the same city, you might get good and bad experiences from the same major chain. Just my opinion of course.

For what it is worth, I never had the foam separate on the original tires, and we did look at them very closely when they came off.

edit: last thought. When you say quiet tires, I assume you mean at interstate speeds.
Some tires can really "whine" at high speeds. Many tires will be quiet on city roads (except those noisy snow tires). I travel mostly interstate at about 80 MPH (the limit on interstate along my routes).

Last edited:
So after speaking with this SC rep, I was told that since my commute is long and my suspension is in low essentially all the time, it causes the tires to wear improperly. The tires are aligned with standard suspension, so they realigned based upon low suspension. Time will tell.

So after speaking with this SC rep, I was told that since my commute is long and my suspension is in low essentially all the time, it causes the tires to wear improperly. The tires are aligned with standard suspension, so they realigned based upon low suspension. Time will tell.
Well ...

Most of my driving was at speeds above 55 mph where I had the Low setting kick in. I got close to 30k miles on my OEM Contis. Maybe my car was produced with the alignment set to low.

I'm not sure it was only bad luck. I have had three sets of back tires down to the metal in less than 5000 miles. Every time I bring the X in, I ask about underlying issues that might be causing the extreme wear, but so far I have only been "reassured" that it was a freak thing. I have quite a long commute and have had to be towed to the service center more than once. The safety of tires blowing out on the freeway is a huge concern. If anyone has thoughts on what I can suggest to the SC to prevent this problem, please let me know.
What was your mileage?