Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on 21" Wheels? Has anyone tried this yet? (OEM or Aftermarket)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@acaciolo yep it was ultimately your thread and photos that helped guide me to this final decision ... we both went very similar directions, though obviously our spoke patterns and wheel brands differ but the essence is much the same. I'm over in Cleveland, Ohio so other end of the PA region from you but maybe we'll bump into each other some day :)

Reactions: acaciolo
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
@acaciolo yep it was ultimately your thread and photos that helped guide me to this final decision ... we both went very similar directions, though obviously our spoke patterns and wheel brands differ but the essence is much the same. I'm over in Cleveland, Ohio so other end of the PA region from you but maybe we'll bump into each other some day :)

i used to live in Cleveland and my initials are AJC. weird. 2 more photos.

Wow...if LA streets are like glass compared to Ohio, I am imagining your streets are only drivable by Ford Raptors!

See example below. All those strange grey/black circles are pot holes they've filled. Only problem is right now most of them are gone again from the winter-- so every year they patch, and re-patch, and patch again. This road is one I go down every day as I go into my office. It is pretty bad around here!

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 4.45.33 PM.png

See example below. All those strange grey/black circles are pot holes they've filled. Only problem is right now most of them are gone again from the winter-- so every year they patch, and re-patch, and patch again. This road is one I go down every day as I go into my office. It is pretty bad around here!

View attachment 216768

Oh man--looks like the roads near my house! Some of the roads near the beach actually have potholes that a bag of cement can lay flush inside.

@arijaycomet Where did you end up selling your old wheels/tires? I would like to do the same once i get my new wheels/tires. thanks!
Wish I could remember. It was either here on TMC forums, or maybe I sold them on eBay. That was a year ago... sorry, but I don’t remember what avenue was effective for me to sell them. I think it was the TMC forums, though, that successfully brought me a buyer.

So is it basically a forgone conclusion that you cannot use the Arachnid 21" wheels or the 21" OEM turbines on the Model X? Or would it be ok, without towing? I have sets of both for my S, and wanna get an X, so it would be great to be able to swap them around.

So is it basically a forgone conclusion that you cannot use the Arachnid 21" wheels or the 21" OEM turbines on the Model X? Or would it be ok, without towing? I have sets of both for my S, and wanna get an X, so it would be great to be able to swap them around.

I would say it’s not impossible...others have done it....I’d do it (and am still thinking hard on it) with 2 rear arachnids as a square setup...I’m still chicken right now not because of weight of car, but of the Ludicrous launches and what it might do to the rims.

Sorry guys to revive this but just looking for a definitive answer. Can the model S 21" turbines (staggered) be used as-is on the model X? I have both 20" as well as 22" now for the X but thinking 21" might be a happier medium and OEM wheels (or OEM look) seem to be optimal for me.

Sorry guys to revive this but just looking for a definitive answer. Can the model S 21" turbines (staggered) be used as-is on the model X? I have both 20" as well as 22" now for the X but thinking 21" might be a happier medium and OEM wheels (or OEM look) seem to be optimal for me.

"As Is" as in an OEM package with the model S tires. Could you use them in a pinch? Yes. Should you use them permanently? The answer is a hard no.
Your wheel diameter is going to be all sorts of off and it will definitely mess with your vehicle dynamics.

You can however look into using the appropriate tire size on 21" wheels to make it work. There's no definitive answer on the weight capacity on the wheels so it's a gamble but others on the board have done so.