Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Open garage door with iPhone app through Homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is something called 'EVEconnect For Tesla'. I'm trying to play with it right now.

In theory it pops up on your screen and tells you the status of your door from anywhere. ie - You can open the door for somebody, or close it from work.

Last edited:
There is something called 'EVEconnect For Tesla'. I'm trying to play with it right now.
I checked the App Store (iPhone) - I couldn't find EVEconnect for Tesla. I also tried EVconnect, still nothing. Where did you find it?

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-15_10-49-2.png
    upload_2020-4-15_10-49-2.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 128
  • upload_2020-4-15_10-49-13.png
    upload_2020-4-15_10-49-13.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 85
The official Tesla app can do this: go to Controls -> Homelink; it's also available from the Summon screen if you have summon. It used to require having the Summon feature (so EAP or FSD), but no longer should. There are also a bunch of third-party solutions for this: TeslaFi and TeslaScope web apps can both trigger homelink, as can the Tesla Remote native iOS app. Obviously, car has to be in range of the garage's receiver.

EVEconnect requires that your garage door opener to support remote opening via one of their connected home partners; it does not offer access to the car's homelink. EVEConnect for Tesla is a car-adapted web app you can use to access EVE smart home dashboard, it doesn't control the car itself in any way.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
Here is a screen shot of my Tesla App's Control page. I don't see Homelink.
And you're on the latest version? I wonder if it does still require EAP/FSD then. Here's mine, you can see the button. Next thing to try would be the Tesla Remote app, I don’t think it has any limitation like that, but in case it does, you can always get a refund from Apple.

Attachments

• 905618E5-BE81-45DA-8BBF-6BCBF7E2199A.png
    905618E5-BE81-45DA-8BBF-6BCBF7E2199A.png
    731.2 KB · Views: 71
Now the part about the Remote app is truly weird. It seems that the API method is just not available without FSD/EAP, begs the question of why (in a "WHY, TESLA, WHYYYY" way).

Because it "requires" the Summon feature to work. (You have to go into the Summon settings on your car to select which of your three HomeLink devices gets linked to Summon and the ability to control via the Tesla app on your phone.)

Because it "requires" the Summon feature to work. (You have to go into the Summon settings on your car to select which of your three HomeLink devices gets linked to Summon and the ability to control via the Tesla app on your phone.)
Well that's the thing - it doesn't require it in the true sense of the word. The /api/1/vehicles/{id}/command/trigger_homelink method is already there. I wonder if it checks for homelink_nearby: True to determine it's actually within the geofenced area.

Well that's the thing - it doesn't require it in the true sense of the word. The /api/1/vehicles/{id}/command/trigger_homelink method is already there. I wonder if it checks for homelink_nearby: True to determine it's actually within the geofenced area.

But as far as I know that end point won't do anything until you go into the Summon settings on your car and tell it which HomeLink device (1, 2, or 3) to link to Summon and the app API.

It should really default to 1, especially if you haven't configured 2 or 3. But as I recall there is no selection until you go in and set it.

Reactions: DriverOne
I heard from Tesla support, confirming that I would need to buy FSD for my 2020 Model X in order to use Homelink from the iPhone app. That's why it's missing from my Tesla app's "Control" page.

Support: "Ah, that is due to your Autopilot configuration and not having summon. Apologies, they have changed the different AP configurations/packages over time. The homelink button is not present on the app if the vehicle is not equipped with summon currently. This may change in the future but is normal for the current release."

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike