Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Pictures of the inner tire foam insert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tires 101 - had my lesson today at the SvC, more a primer for me but passing along a few bits.

The Contis w/foam are manufactured under an agreement with Tesla. Conti does this for others as well. The foam is installed in the tire manufacturing process. Tesla can replace but indicated they rarely repair tires (something about performance guarantee) and therefore, the foam would be included in the replacement so no need to be replacing the foam. If a tire is repaired outside of Tesla, they would not replace the foam for you, again citing the preference to not have repaired tires except as hold overs. The sound difference was described as measurable by a meter, but he never compared them side x side himself.

So, I hopped in my loaner S P85D w/staggered Michelin Pilot Sports (left behind S90D w/staggered ContiSilents) and within two feet, the difference was quite noticeable, even with the music. Seriously, wow. This beautiful black stunner is so much louder than mine. The entire chamber was amplifying road noise. I would definitely ditch the 21s if my car sounded like that. Otherwise, it drove beautifully.

Since I also inquired about aftermarkets, mixing/matching tire brands, staggered vs non staggered blah blah, it was a good lesson. But most astounding to me, was the difference that little slice of foam made. Just imagine how great it would be with Gillette foamy! :D

I plan to pepper the techie with more questions tomorrow at pick up, vs relying purely in the friendly service advisor.
Now that is good to know. Thank you for sharing. I pick up a loaner on the 6th and hopefully can run the same comparison as you.

Tesla's tire repair kit includes a compressor and a can of "fix a flat" that injects through the same hose. I'm assuming the fix a flat would work as that is Tesla's solution.

I agree with you.
They gave me a kit as delivery swag and said when in a pinch to try it for any type of flat, it may be just enough to get you to a decent destination when stranded. Yesterday, it was reinforced again to use it even going so far to say that even with a sidewall blow, give it a shot. The tire is destroyed anyway, and the few miles may be meaningful to a rough situation.

Apparently it does make the tire permanently unusable though, so if you plan to seek a repair at a tire shop, it's probably best to just wait out the tow.

Reactions: ohmman
Tesla's tire repair kit includes a compressor and a can of "fix a flat" that injects through the same hose. I'm assuming the fix a flat would work as that is Tesla's solution.

it's a last ditch option, don't use it for convenience. Use it only if the circumstances are extreme and you are willing to pay more to replace a tire vs taking longer to get a tow or spending more effort with a compressor.

Physics don't change just because Tesla includes it in your kit.

it's a last ditch option, don't use it for convenience. Use it only if the circumstances are extreme and you are willing to pay more to replace a tire vs taking longer to get a tow or spending more effort with a compressor.

Physics don't change just because Tesla includes it in your kit.
The question was would fix a flat work through the foam insert. My answer was based on the assumption made since Tesla has included the fix a flat with their "emergency tire repair kit".

I had a similar experience as the OP except my P90D X came with Michelin Latitude Sport3 tires. The foam insert was also there and Discount Tire refused to patch the tire as a result. The tire had gone completely flat and sat overnight, so there was also sidewall damage which made a patch almost pointless anyway.

Discount Tire could not even source the tire at the time, and I was forced to buy a replacement via Tesla and have it delivered. Tesla was quick to react and delivered as soon as possible, but oh boy was that tire expensive....

For completeness, here is a photo of the foam insert from a Michelin Latitude Sport3. You can also see the sidewall damage.

MX LATITUDE.jpg

As luck would have it a nail was seen in the passenger rear tire. I called Tesla but North Carolina does not have the tire loaner program available. I took a chance and drove to the service center today and they were reluctant to patch the tire but did so after I signed a waiver. I asked about using the liquid foam in this type of tire repair and they recommended not using it. They said that it would ruin the tire.

As luck would have it a nail was seen in the passenger rear tire. I called Tesla but North Carolina does not have the tire loaner program available. I took a chance and drove to the service center today and they were reluctant to patch the tire but did so after I signed a waiver. I asked about using the liquid foam in this type of tire repair and they recommended not using it. They said that it would ruin the tire.
Your SC patched a tire? Ours refuses to do that.

I believe there are different brands of tires on Teslas some are the contisilent versions with the foam. There is a lot of information on the net about these and other tires to silence noise. There are also many comparisons and the foam appears to help a bit but not that much based on my readings. I have had my tires replaced and was in the shop to watch. I do not think Tesla can add this foam to any tire and I believe many of the employees probably are not aware of the fact it may be in the tire. Would be a good selling point if they presented it correctly.

I think I will stay with the Contisilents on the X since they are quiet and are a good tire, maybe not the best but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars experimenting to find something better.