Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Pictures of the inner tire foam insert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me it was a specifically manufactured by Conti for Tesla aka ContiSilents. Apparently several tire manufacturers have these special arrangements with auto manufacturers. I don't know whether they are interchangeable with other product so long as the sizes are accurate but will dig into it all further tomorrow at the SvC. Feel free to post any questions you'd like answered here, and I'll do my best.

Wan, did your tire have the label "ContiSilent" actualy on the sidewall?

Holy cow you are right. There it is. It is a feature of this tire. Now I feel kind of dumb o_O.
IMG_1096.JPG

Last edited:
I don't have Conti-silents on my X. An 8db cut sounds great. I may jam some Tempurpedic into my tires and see what happens.
I was just reading the marketing .pdf and it states the below,

"Even while driving at high speeds, the ContiSilentTM tyre reduces road noises inside the vehicle by up to 9 dB(A). The level of reduction of interior noise depends on the type of vehicle, its speed and the road surface."

Last edited:

http://www.continentaltire.com/sites/default/files/36245_New_8-18-14_0.pdf

Interesting. When I search it comes up with approved methods and recommendation to not do it. It's possible they tell dealers like discount tires and such to not repair. Either way, when I went in I was told the shop could not patch it. They did it for me this time after rationally speaking with the store manager, but told me it would be a one time thing.

So, is the verdict that this is something that comes with particular tires, and not something the Tesla service-centers can install? :p

(I have Goodyears, Eagle Asymmetric 3, on my X; and loooordie is the road-noise a huge deal. Partially my own fault for 22" wheels and performance tires, though.)

Tires 101 - had my lesson today at the SvC, more a primer for me but passing along a few bits.

The Contis w/foam are manufactured under an agreement with Tesla. Conti does this for others as well. The foam is installed in the tire manufacturing process. Tesla can replace but indicated they rarely repair tires (something about performance guarantee) and therefore, the foam would be included in the replacement so no need to be replacing the foam. If a tire is repaired outside of Tesla, they would not replace the foam for you, again citing the preference to not have repaired tires except as hold overs. The sound difference was described as measurable by a meter, but he never compared them side x side himself.

So, I hopped in my loaner S P85D w/staggered Michelin Pilot Sports (left behind S90D w/staggered ContiSilents) and within two feet, the difference was quite noticeable, even with the music. Seriously, wow. This beautiful black stunner is so much louder than mine. The entire chamber was amplifying road noise. I would definitely ditch the 21s if my car sounded like that. Otherwise, it drove beautifully.

Since I also inquired about aftermarkets, mixing/matching tire brands, staggered vs non staggered blah blah, it was a good lesson. But most astounding to me, was the difference that little slice of foam made. Just imagine how great it would be with Gillette foamy! :D

I plan to pepper the techie with more questions tomorrow at pick up, vs relying purely in the friendly service advisor.

The Michelins that come on the MX have the foam inserts as well, not sure it is of the Tempurpedic or the Gillette variety though. Looked like the grey sample in the photo above.

Must be from the manufacturer as well, since I asked if they could place foam in any/all of the tires and was told no. With the X cabin size, I would think its a nice touch. I plan to confirm more tomorrow when I speak with the techie.

Reactions: wanaxnow
Note that the current Goodyear 19's shipping on the S are not the original Eagle (and have replaced the Michelin Primacy) but are a new Eagle Touring tire with foam insert. Tire Rack has them listed but look for the TM notation. I have seen other threads here from owners who got a non-repairable puncture and the local Goodyear shop had not even seen or heard about these tires.

Note that the current Goodyear 19's shipping on the S are not the original Eagle (and have replaced the Michelin Primacy) but are a new Eagle Touring tire with foam insert. Tire Rack has them listed but look for the TM notation. I have seen other threads here from owners who got a non-repairable puncture and the local Goodyear shop had not even seen or heard about these tires.

Exactly right. I had mine patched just this morning and he said it was a very common thing in a lot of high end tires. I had mine patched as I had a piece of wood that penetrated the tire and foam.

Fixed very easily and they work on a ton of Teslas in the area and was out in no time.

Exactly right. I had mine patched just this morning and he said it was a very common thing in a lot of high end tires. I had mine patched as I had a piece of wood that penetrated the tire and foam.

Fixed very easily and they work on a ton of Teslas in the area and was out in no time.
I would say that was our experience as well. Once the goodyear guys got through the shock of seeing this foam they've never seen before, after cutting out a small square, the patch went in just fine without a problem. Did about 40miles today and no issues reported.

Last edited: