Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Recall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’m new here and we have just purchased an ex demonstration Model X 100D, we are due to take delivery in a couple of weeks time but I have just seen this slightly worrying news about a recall!

I’m in the UK and can’t find any more info about the situation, can anyone shed any luck get on this news story.

Tesla to recall 11,000 Model X SUVs due to seat issue - Reuters
Tesla to recall 11,000 Model X SUVs due to seat issue — Reuters

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I just got my email.

We are emailing to inform you of a proactive action Tesla is taking to ensure your safety as a Model X owner. During recent internal testing, Tesla determined that a small number of cables in the second row fold-flat seats in some 2016 and 2017 Model X vehicles may need to be adjusted. Although Tesla has not received reports of any issues or accidents relating to this condition, we will be inspecting the affected customers’ cars so that we can confirm whether any adjustment is needed. We are doing this out of an abundance of caution, because even though we have never seen it happen, if the cable is not properly adjusted, the seat back on the left side of the second row seats could move forward during a crash.
Our records show that you own a Model X affected by this voluntary recall. There are no parts required for this inspection, and the adjustment will take only about 10 minutes to complete. We can address 100% of these repairs via mobile service, and you will have the choice to do that or to bring in your car to a Service Center. We will be contacting you soon to schedule this according to your preference.
Until then, there is no issue with continuing to drive your Model X. We just ask that you temporarily avoid having two adults sit in the second row left and center seating positions at the same time. Even with this issue, the seat is strong enough for a single adult or two children. You may also continue to use child seats using the LATCH anchors, as these anchors are attached to the seat base and not the seat back. Note that this issue only affects Model X with fold-flat second row seats built between October 28, 2016 and August 16, 2017 and does not affect any vehicles with monopost seats.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for this inconvenience. Model X has received the highest rating in every category and subcategory in independent crash tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and we are committed to ensuring that Model X remains the safest SUV in the world

• Informative
Reactions: Ski_
I got the email today and my car happened to be in the service center for a flat tire at the Portland OR service center. Asked them if they could check my cables for the defect and even spoke to the lead tech. He said they haven't been given the parts to check for this defect yet and they would be calling all of us affected to get scheduled. Also maybe using their mobile rangers to check a lot of the affected vehicles.

For those of you who got emails already, do you have 5 or 7 seaters?

I have a 6 seater and wondering if this recall is only effecting the 2nd row if it's has the 3 seats together?

Nevermind - was able to find a copy of the email online and it's only effecting 5 and 7 seaters:

"We just ask that you temporarily avoid having two adults sit in the second row left and center seating positions at the same time. (Even with this issue, the seat is strong enough for a single adult or two children.) You may also continue to use child seats using the LATCH anchors, as these anchors are attached to the seat base and not the seat back. Note that this issue only affects Model X with fold-flat second row seats built between October 28, 2016 and August 16, 2017 and does not affect any vehicles with monopost seats."

On the X 100D June 2017 6-seater (not in scope of this recall) loaner I have, the cable on the passenger side seat is lose from one of the clips. The driver's seat seems mostly ok. No cables under the middle post seats. I will let service know about this when I return it to get my car back.
2017-10-13 12.14.12.jpg 2017-10-13 12.15.21.jpg

On the X 100D June 2017 6-seater (not in scope of this recall) loaner I have, the cable on the passenger side seat is lose from one of the clips. The driver's seat seems mostly ok. No cables under the middle post seats. I will let service know about this when I return it to get my car back.
View attachment 253767 View attachment 253768
That is just an electrical harness, not a cable like the recall pertains too. Has nothing to do with this.

Cable under the seats. Poteito, potaato. The point is get service to inspect the front seats if you are taking yours for the middle ones.

If we're worrying about electrical instead of mechanical cables, why stop there?

Why not get them to look at the cables in the battery pack, that is under the floor that is under the seats?

If that shows nothing, get 'em to check the cables under the road or driveway where you park your X that lie under the battery pack that's under the floor, that's under the seats.

Cable TV, that's another one.

Let's expand this recall!

• Funny
Reactions: Xtek
Definitely, definitely have to look at the Cable TV! ;)
The wires/cables/harnesses/conductors/buses/lines under the front seats power the airbag as well as the seat motors. Problems with them could result in safety concerns similar to the mechanical cable/latch system for the middle seats. Worth taking a look if they are lose like these.