Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Refresh Front Door Closing More Difficult

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Have a 2022 Plaid, traded the 2018 MX 75D. The front doors on this car require quite bit more force to get them closed than the 18, does anyone else have them same experience? My wife believes there may be something wrong with the doors on this car? Anyone else notice the same thing?

Yes, when they were servicing my car to activate the car fob I asked about this. They said since the car is new the seals need to be broken in. They can adjust the strike plate, however they told me to give it a couple of weeks. It’s better to have a good seal then to prematurely do that, or at least that is what I was told.

Yes to what @aznt1217 said. Use the button on the outside of the door (or do the single-click lock on the key fob) and let the motor close it.
Yeah I'll just tell every single passenger "oh, no no no no, you can't close the door the same way you've shut every other car door your whole life... From the exterior you must press the handle that's a button or from the interior you must press the button that's actually a touch pad... You know what nevermind I'll just shut it myself with the Key FOB that wasn't included with the car and is out of stock online"
Here's my video comparing the 2018 to the 2022.
2018 soft close vs 2022 slam close

Same here, coming from a 2018 X, the front doors are so damn hard to close. The seals are so strong too for the FWD you can hear them “pop” open. The trunk latch seems to hold very strong as well and make a loud pop when opening.

Yeah I'll just tell every single passenger "oh, no no no no, you can't close the door the same way you've shut every other car door your whole life... From the exterior you must press the handle that's a button or from the interior you must press the button that's actually a touch pad... You know what nevermind I'll just shut it myself with the Key FOB that wasn't included with the car and is out of stock online"
Here's my video comparing the 2018 to the 2022.
2018 soft close vs 2022 slam close
Thanks for that. This is my first X so I just assumed it was drag from the motors.

I tell everyone to just get out and walk away and that I'll shut the doors (my passengers don't seem to have trouble closing the doors from the inside). I do love the one click on the key fob to close all the doors and roll up the windows. Except when my wife has the key fob in her pocket, leans in to get something, and closes the rear trunk on my head.....

Wait, no more key fobs? Oh good grief. I guess I should be glad that I received key fobs with my car - May, 2022 delivery. And Tesla's march to the bottom continues....

Reactions: FirstInTown
Thanks for that. This is my first X so I just assumed it was drag from the motors.

I tell everyone to just get out and walk away and that I'll shut the doors (my passengers don't seem to have trouble closing the doors from the inside). I do love the one click on the key fob to close all the doors and roll up the windows. Except when my wife has the key fob in her pocket, leans in to get something, and closes the rear trunk on my head.....

Wait, no more key fobs? Oh good grief. I guess I should be glad that I received key fobs with my car - May, 2022 delivery. And Tesla's march to the bottom continues....
You can always buy fobs for any Tesla.

I don't blame them for not including them. Reading the threads here and you would think almost all of them ended up never opened in the bottom of a junk drawer. Everyone says they only use their phones and fobs are so 1980s, grandpa!:)

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
You can always buy fobs for any Tesla.

I don't blame them for not including them. Reading the threads here and you would think almost all of them ended up never opened in the bottom of a junk drawer. Everyone says they only use their phones and fobs are so 1980s, grandpa!:)
Except that fobs are out of stock....

But seriously, I have said this in the mobile charging threads as well. The answer is that Tesla should give new owners a credit to be used in the Tesla shop. It could be, say, $400 for 3/Y and $700 for S/X. You could then use that however you wish. You could buy a mobile charger or wall charger, fobs or floor mats, etc.

Personally, I find the fobs to be the most convenient way to get into your car. I can hand the fob to my wife or kids to go and get something out of the car. I can hand the fob to the folks at the airport to park my car. It's less convenient to do that with your phone and I have had the airport folks tell me how much they hate the card keys. Fobs have been around forever but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Except that fobs are out of stock....

But seriously, I have said this in the mobile charging threads as well. The answer is that Tesla should give new owners a credit to be used in the Tesla shop. It could be, say, $400 for 3/Y and $700 for S/X. You could then use that however you wish. You could buy a mobile charger or wall charger, fobs or floor mats, etc.

Personally, I find the fobs to be the most convenient way to get into your car. I can hand the fob to my wife or kids to go and get something out of the car. I can hand the fob to the folks at the airport to park my car. It's less convenient to do that with your phone and I have had the airport folks tell me how much they hate the card keys. Fobs have been around forever but maybe that's not a bad thing.
Personally, I use a fob. And part of this is because I sometime don't have my phone and want to have a "key" available for anyone that wants to drive the car.

But also realize that does not reflect how my adult children and I suspect most Tesla buyers live. Since my children's pre-teen years, they haven't left home (maybe even a room) without their phone. Even if they are working in their garden, garage, or backyard the phone is with them. And this has been this way for decades. Given this, I can see how it makes perfect sense to have your car, house, etc. controlled by the electronic keys stored in their phone.

And regarding giving people credit for fobs, I think that is unnecessary expense on Tesla. And as a shareholder I prefer the profitability is not impacted any potential multi-million-dollar expense, unless it drives addition income.

Yes, I have the same issue and didn't on my previous 2016 and 2019 MX. As others have said, the simplest solution is to use the app or fob or, as I've started doing, just walk away and let the car close the door for me.
This has not worked for me. I have a fob and the car on its own is not capable of applying enough force for the latch to catch and soft close. I get the app notification the door is ajar, and I need to go back to the car to physically slam the door with significant pressure. My 2020 MX required far less force for it to catch.

Hmmm... yours is stiffer than mine. The door builds up enough momentum when it closes by itself that I don't have the problem. I'm curious, if automatically closing the door doesn't work, what happens when you get in and step on the brake pedal? If that works then I don't understand how auto-closing doesn't. And if it doesn't close all the way when you step on the brake they really need to adjust the hinge. Have you tried spraying a little WD 40 on it?

Same deal, coming from an 18 X. With the old one I just had to get the door close and it would suck itself closed. This one works the opposite, I push it enough that it should close and it gets close then pops back open.

Also wanted to add that the no FOBs thing is dumb, considering this key phone thing never works for me.

I have discovered that pressing the outside door handle, the door will close under power. To make it work, it's easiest for me to squeeze the handle between my thumb on the inside of the door and middle finger on the outside handle. If I squeeze hard enough, the automatic door closing will activate.

Yes, when they were servicing my car to activate the car fob I asked about this. They said since the car is new the seals need to be broken in. They can adjust the strike plate, however they told me to give it a couple of weeks. It’s better to have a good seal then to prematurely do that, or at least that is what I was told.

The strike plate is not adjustable starting with the refresh. The service manual hasn't been updated so step 4 procedure 11353002 for of striker replacement still says adjust position as necessary. The plate inside the b-pillar is fixed. I asked service and they confirmed that it's fixed and that adjustments up, down, in and out, at the rear of the door are no longer possible.

Have a 2022 Plaid, traded the 2018 MX 75D. The front doors on this car require quite bit more force to get them closed than the 18, does anyone else have them same experience? My wife believes there may be something wrong with the doors on this car? Anyone else notice the same thing?

It's not seals, it's not stiff hinges, it's none of the things people mention in this thread. It's caused by 19 year-old Tesla programmers that don't know what they are doing. Pre-refresh, senior programmers knew what they were doing. A door told to close that was too close to swing close with force would open about 6" and close with force. The chip shortage made Tesla use different chips requiring the firmware to be rewritten from scratch, by kids not knowing what they are doing! The passenger falcon wing door also has a refresh bug that often prevents it from closing, detecting an obstacle when there is none. The S and X are orphan stepchildren that Tesla has no interest in fixing or improving. I pray for my warranty to end so I can try hacking the code so I can fix it myself. Sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative