Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X reliability...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased an Oct 2016 MXP100D w/47K on the website at the end of Feb 2020. No issues so far except a piece of trim that wouldn't stay tucked in to the body like it should which increases the drag coefficient. Service center replaced the entire piece of trim under warranty after only a 30 minute wait, and I was a walk in. Can't complain about that. Biggest plus of the MX for me is the ability to tow my fishing boat. Love it! The acceleration while towing a boat is unbelievable. You don't even feel the boat. The down side (for me) is now owning a car that's nice enough to want to keep very clean, so I've increased my chores at home. Since the car is still very new to me, I try not to drive it in the rain (haha), so I only wash it about once a month or so. It looks so much nicer when it's just washed and vacuumed! And of course no ICE cars can keep up with me. That's pretty cool too. No FWD issues. Still has the new smell in it!

Nice, I didn't know the MX is rated to tow. Will have to check out the tow rating specs. My LX570 is a monster at towing as well; I haven't towed a boat, though I do have a heavy hitch based rack I use to haul around some bikes. Fuel mileage (13/18mpg) drops horrendously once anything is attached to the hitch:eek:

That's astounding... would you mind sharing any costs associated with maintenance and repairs (if any) of your X?

How often do tires last on the X? Can one expect 40-50k miles?

We just recently purchased. It was previously a limo. General maintenance is expected. I expect mechanical parts will wear out and need replacement. We chose high mileage so we can learn more about what needs to be done for future maintenance. I actually really wanted the teslaloop 400k mile X but did not offer in time. Tire will depend on the compound you choose. I expect the wear to be similar to the S.

How have the tires been holding up on the X? Is it reasonable to expect 40k miles from all seasons?

Saw a youtube video this morning where an owner claims he had to replace his tires multiple times due to the X's heavy weight and from repeated nails. Not sure why a car's weight makes it more susceptible to nails in the tires. I used to have an Acura TL that suffered through nail after nail, and I had to replace the tires after I swapped out the tires it originally came with multiple times; frustrated me to no end.

We purchased our Model X early 2018 and love it. At first we thought we'd keep a gas car so we opted for the 75D. Once we took delivery of the X, a month or two later we replaced that gas car with a M3 haha. I wish we would have gotten the longer range back then (now we're upgrading to a new 2020 model X and take delivery tomorrow).

- We never had any issues with the falcon wing doors malfunctioning or hitting any objects. The only annoyance has been the wife or son closing a door when I'm about to walk past and I have to wait for it to close. That said though, having the falcon wing doors is a lifesaver if you have small kids that are still in a car seat. I can't imagine going back to regular doors right now.

- Tires go quickly. More torque + larger weight + zoom zoom = less mileage for your wheels.

- We had a few small issues here and there that were quickly resolved by Tesla mobile (or the service center if they couldn't do it) under warranty. We had a small window issue when it rained (it wouldn't roll up) and a rattle when accelerating quickly.

Reactions: E Dizzle
2016 P90d with 110K. Tires from Continental good for 30K
Front control arms, front motor mount, front passenger seat replaced due to sensor failure. always a pleasure to drive. Do not hesitate to get one.

Nice to see a fellow neighbor online. I'm just east of you off 405/90. Fun times we're going through now with the "curfew."

Was the stuff you had replaced covered under warranty?

P100D owner here 2017 model with very few issues. Falcon wings doors had issues opening in the hot midday sun which took two tries to fix, but that's about it. It has been solid otherwise.
My X did this the day I took delivery (almost stopped me from buying it), but has never it done it since. The salesman and the tech told me it was a problem with the sensors getting too hot.

Curious, what was the fix for this? New sensors?

My X did this the day I took delivery (almost stopped me from buying it), but has never it done it since. The salesman and the tech told me it was a problem with the sensors getting too hot.

Curious, what was the fix for this? New sensors?
Yup. It took two new sets of sensors to do the trick. Teslas do not do very well in the desert heat. Issues include inadequate A/C when over 110 degrees, and inoperative autopilot.

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, thinking of joining the Tesla world. Used Model Xs have depreciated enough to the point where I can begin to think of purchasing one. Plus my gas guzzling 13mpg SUV with my new weekly 300 mile commute is making me seriously think of getting an EV.

For those who have owned the Model X for some time, what are some of the common issue you guys/gals have run into? Any issues with the falcon doors and nav units? Anything major that jumps out? Or is it mostly small stuff?

You'll get a lot of answers, but the truth is YMMV. Since it shares a lot of parts with the S, I'll detail some of the problems I've had with all three cars. These are cars built in 2016 & 2017.

- AC Compressor Died (2x) - different cars
- HVAC Foam Melted (1x)
- FWD Sensors Needed Replacing (3x) - different cars
- Pinch Sensors Needed Replacing (2x) - different cars
- Axles/CV Replacement aka "Shudder" Issue (3x) - different cars
- Rear Body Controller Replacement (1x)
- Rear Camera Stopped Working (1x)
- Side Cameras Stopped Working (2x) - different cars
- Heater Stopped Working (1x)
- Screen Yellowing (2x) - same car
- Window motors went bad (1x)
- Door motors went bad (2x) - same car
- Door latch failure (1x)
- Charge port sensor failure (1x)
- Charge port latch/lock failure (1x)
- Liftgate wiring harness replacement (2x) - different cars
- Takata airbag fix (3x)
- Monopost latch replacement (1x)
- MCU1 replacement (1x)

Never had a problem with the nav unit..

One was rock solid, until it 50,000 miles. It's been a bit of a nightmare since.
One was a problem from the start and still a headache to today.
One started as a headache and has been worry free since repairs were made under warranty and hasn't needed a repair since passing 50,000 miles.

So very much YMMV. Depends if Joel, Jorge, or Jennifer built your car and if it was a Tuesday or Friday at 5pm.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
You'll get a lot of answers, but the truth is YMMV. Since it shares a lot of parts with the S, I'll detail some of the problems I've had with all three cars. These are cars built in 2016 & 2017.

- AC Compressor Died (2x) - different cars
- HVAC Foam Melted (1x)
- FWD Sensors Needed Replacing (3x) - different cars
- Pinch Sensors Needed Replacing (2x) - different cars
- Axles/CV Replacement aka "Shudder" Issue (3x) - different cars
- Rear Body Controller Replacement (1x)
- Rear Camera Stopped Working (1x)
- Side Cameras Stopped Working (2x) - different cars
- Heater Stopped Working (1x)
- Screen Yellowing (2x) - same car
- Window motors went bad (1x)
- Door motors went bad (2x) - same car
- Door latch failure (1x)
- Charge port sensor failure (1x)
- Charge port latch/lock failure (1x)
- Liftgate wiring harness replacement (2x) - different cars
- Takata airbag fix (3x)
- Monopost latch replacement (1x)
- MCU1 replacement (1x)

Never had a problem with the nav unit..

One was rock solid, until it 50,000 miles. It's been a bit of a nightmare since.
One was a problem from the start and still a headache to today.
One started as a headache and has been worry free since repairs were made under warranty and hasn't needed a repair since passing 50,000 miles.

So very much YMMV. Depends if Joel, Jorge, or Jennifer built your car and if it was a Tuesday or Friday at 5pm.

Yikes, seems like quiet a bit of stuff here and there. Do you still have a Tesla?

Yikes, seems like quiet a bit of stuff here and there. Do you still have a Tesla?

Yes, and they’re all out of warranty now. We sold one - the one that was non-stop problems.

One drives around with a constant error due to faulty side cameras again, and recently a bad rear camera. We decided we don’t use AP enough on this one to justify replacing them. This one was rock solid until 50,200 miles.

The second has no issues whatsoever right now. It started as a problem child, but hasn’t needed anything but washer fluid for the last 30,000 miles.

Yes, and they’re all out of warranty now. We sold one - the one that was non-stop problems.

One drives around with a constant error due to faulty side cameras again, and recently a bad rear camera. We decided we don’t use AP enough on this one to justify replacing them. This one was rock solid until 50,200 miles.

The second has no issues whatsoever right now. It started as a problem child, but hasn’t needed anything but washer fluid for the last 30,000 miles.

Your former problem child, is the S or X?

Would you recommend getting a Tesla out of warranty?

Your former problem child, is the S or X?

Would you recommend getting a Tesla out of warranty?

My former problem child, was an X. I still have one S and one X. The current X has been problem free since being out of warranty.

It’s honestly tough to tell. I had both X at the same time, drive them the same, maintained them the same. There’s no rhyme or reason as to why one had more problems compared to the other.

I’m generally a huge proponent of used cars, especially luxury cars. But with Tesla’s, I dont typically recommend used for several reasons.

1) They have strong resale values, which means you don’t get as much of a depreciation discount vs new.

2) Three years is typically needed for the depreciation value curve. In 3 years, MX went from AP1 to HW3, increased range, and launched additional features. Tesla’s development model is much faster than original.

3) The MX specifically is very complex. Repair manuals aren’t as readily available, neither are parts OEM or aftermarket. Programming is commonly needed which is only available from Tesla.

4) You don’t know what your previous owner may or may not have done to piss Tesla off, causing them to potentially cut you off from the supercharger network.

5) You don’t know what you’re buying. Literally. There’s stories of features being pulled from cars since Tesla doesn’t consider them purchased by you. There’s threads on this here.

On the other hand, if you’re buying a non-AP car or a car without any software options, then that reduces that aspect a little.

Thanks for the links, will take a look. Does seem like the X is a bit finicky in terms of maintenance/repairs.

This is going to be an unpopular take, but I’ve had more issues with my Tesla’s than any other car I’ve owned.

I’d also say repairs and not maintenance. But it’s the technology, not the drivetrain. Keep in mind there’s mitigating factors. You asked me if I still own one, and I said yes. Here’s why...with the miles I drive here are the places where I make it up.

1) One to two oil changes per month. Average of $80-$150 each time depending on car and using fully synthetic.

2) Differential and transmission fluid change once a year at $300

3) Brake pad replacement once a year at $80

Those three things alone total roughly 18 dealer visits a year at a cost of about $3,000/year per car.

I visit the Tesla dealer less than 18 times a year across all three cars and am currently averaging $1200/year per car in repairs. That includes tires, alignments, cracked windshield repairs - things that aren’t unique to Tesla.

So if you continue budgeting (time&money) for oil changes; in general you’ll keep that budget for a Tesla. It just won’t be as scheduled and routine as you’re used to with an oil change.