Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X reliability...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, thinking of joining the Tesla world. Used Model Xs have depreciated enough to the point where I can begin to think of purchasing one. Plus my gas guzzling 13mpg SUV with my new weekly 300 mile commute is making me seriously think of getting an EV.

For those who have owned the Model X for some time, what are some of the common issue you guys/gals have run into? Any issues with the falcon doors and nav units? Anything major that jumps out? Or is it mostly small stuff?

I don't use my falcon doors much. One of them sometimes thinks there's something in the way and doesn't like closing on its own in my carport. But my carport is very small and I live at the end of a very dusty dirt road, so I don't complain about that.

The front door actuators die, though. I've had both replaced. When they fail, you cannot open the door from the outside. I think the bill (which I wasn't charged) was $200 each time. You could likely do it yourself -- it's just a little brushed motor in the door panel.

Otherwise, in the last 60k miles or so, nothing particularly interesting has happened.

Most of the issues you see are easlly addressed via your friendly local service center. Adjustments to hatch, doors, body panels etc are well within their capabilities.

Biggest issue, that is harder to address, is the shudder some experience under hight levels of acceleration. Easiest fix seems to be simply lowering your air suspension when using full throttle. Still some are not totally able to get rid of it. Most never experience it.

If you rarely drive your current SUV at full throttle, you will most likely never notice it as well. X is a very high powered SUV and the higher suspension does not seem to be able to cope with it's full power. The performance models seem to experience it much more than the long range models.

Good news. Tesla just reduced the price of their current long range Model X to $79,990. Used cars will sooner or later also reflect these new lower prices.

Used gassers are coming down in price much more quickly in resale value, as so many are deciding Tesla is a great alternative.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
We've had our Model X for over 2 years now. Fortunately we have not had a single problem with the falcon wing doors but we did have an actuator go bad in the driver's door that was replaced via mobile service. The issue that Uncle Paul is pointing out about the shudder, we had the same problem but was fixed under warranty.

Other than that it's been normal wear & tear like replacing tires, etc.

Reactions: X-pilot
I've had small issues with the FWD:
1. A sensor in the door came off its mooring and had to be replaced. Door was giving false/positive obstruction detection prior to fix.
2. A plastic piece on the door was hitting the interior part of the frame (about midway up the side) and rubbing off paint. The issue was fixed via redesign at some point post April 2017, and the solution is to put a piece of plastic film in that area on models prior to the redesign.
3. The FWD on the passenger side extends about 1/16" out of line from the front passenger door. This led to debri like rocks/sand slowly chipping away at the paint on the lower edge of the door. Required a repaint, and now I have 3M plastic film on both FWD corners.

I've had to have my front-half shafts replaced for acceleration shudder, and I've since developed it again. I am not positive if there is a permanent fix or not, haven't kept up. The shudder doesn't actually show up that much, and I've not had time to deal with it. Besides, my lease is up in July.

That's the only problems I've had specific to the MX, and while all were relatively minor, some would be expensive out of warranty. Warranty did not cover the repaint of the FWDs.

Most of the issues you see are easlly addressed via your friendly local service center. Adjustments to hatch, doors, body panels etc are well within their capabilities.

Biggest issue, that is harder to address, is the shudder some experience under hight levels of acceleration. Easiest fix seems to be simply lowering your air suspension when using full throttle. Still some are not totally able to get rid of it. Most never experience it.

If you rarely drive your current SUV at full throttle, you will most likely never notice it as well. X is a very high powered SUV and the higher suspension does not seem to be able to cope with it's full power. The performance models seem to experience it much more than the long range models.

Good news. Tesla just reduced the price of their current long range Model X to $79,990. Used cars will sooner or later also reflect these new lower prices.

Used gassers are coming down in price much more quickly in resale value, as so many are deciding Tesla is a great alternative.

With adjustments, does Tesla come to you, or do you have to go to a service center?

I also recently saw that Telsa dropped the price of the M3 by $2k, and I believe the S and X by $5k. Hoping that used cars will drop as well. Guess it depends on demand and how the economy recovers due to covid.

For those who have owned the X for some time, how has your cost of ownership been? I've seen some videos and reports that say the Model 3 is cheaper to own than an Accord Hybrid or Camry. I have a 2009 Lexus LX570 at 115k miles and had to fork over $5k recently in maintenance, and I have a hunch the maintenance and repairs will keep adding up due to it having an ICE

You are not alone in wanting to get out from under the high running costs of gassers.
EVs have lower operating costs of ICE vehicles, but it is always hard to determine exactly how much savings you will realize.

Some will depend on your regional electric and gas prices.

But often, just looking at the economics misses out on the real benefits of switching to EV.
No more local pollution of your and your families air.
No more stopping at filthy smelly gas stations.
No more tune ups, oil changes, etc.

The cars also just drive better with instant torque, regenerative braking, and smooth powerful acceleration.

ICE vehicles are currently depreciating much faster than Tesla. This makes up the biggest proportion of running costs.

Governments are beginning to phase out the sales of gassers, mostly in congested urban areas. Problem is that there are just too many of them, and each one puts out significant poisons into the air.

Had ours since 6/17. No problems with fwd. since we rarely gun it, haven’t really noticed the shutter. Only issue is yellow ring around display. Really doesn’t bother me, and since I plan to upgrade mcu , supposed to get new screen. Ours is the 100d. The battery has been holding up well, originally at 90% 264
Current at 90% 252. Have virtually no maintenance, air filter and tires. We also have a model 3, which is more efficient, but x much more comfortable. We have a 6 seater, no issues with pedestals, and six adults go to a hockey game. Highly recommend.

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, thinking of joining the Tesla world. Used Model Xs have depreciated enough to the point where I can begin to think of purchasing one. Plus my gas guzzling 13mpg SUV with my new weekly 300 mile commute is making me seriously think of getting an EV.

For those who have owned the Model X for some time, what are some of the common issue you guys/gals have run into? Any issues with the falcon doors and nav units? Anything major that jumps out? Or is it mostly small stuff?

Had ours since 6/17. No problems with fwd. since we rarely gun it, haven’t really noticed the shutter. Only issue is yellow ring around display. Really doesn’t bother me, and since I plan to upgrade mcu , supposed to get new screen. Ours is the 100d. The battery has been holding up well, originally at 90% 264
Current at 90% 252. Have virtually no maintenance, air filter and tires. We also have a model 3, which is more efficient, but x much more comfortable. We have a 6 seater, no issues with pedestals, and six adults go to a hockey game. Highly recommend.

what’s your 100% charge?

65k miles: the front passenger upper control arm needed to be replaced. $1500 (recommend replacing both at the same time). Driver door no longer opens automatically, but I don't miss it. That's about it. No big issues really. Tires are the big issues since it's such a heavy car. I had to replace mine around 35/40k miles. I would have easily spent more that $1500 in repairs if I had a ICE are just on maintenance (oil change, spark plugs...etc.). Super happy with my car, but thinking to upgrade soon!

50k in 3 different Xs due to someone crashing into me and having a long term loaner than having a new insurance replacement car.

The X is by far the MOST unreliable car I have ever owned, the list of issues our car has is haliours, ranging from a minor rattle in the A pillar, to the front suspension failing resulting in been towed to a service centre and most recently the drivers door woudlnt lock!! FWDs for me have been one part of the car that's trouble free.

But all the issues were sorted under warranty and the customer service I cannot fault. I'm hoping my car will be more sorted now, and I still have 18 months of warranty left.

As for running costs excluding depreciation it's one of the CHEAPEST cars I've owned. Because mine goes in for warranty work every 3-4 month I've not bothered with 'servicing' as every time it goes in for work Tesla do a routine inspection.

The only real running costs for me than have been fuel + tyres, which combined comes out at 6p per mile, for reference my wifes very very efficient Lexus hybrid costs 10p per mile in fuel alone.

Overall despite the reliability issues the X is the best car I have ever owned. I occasionally think about selling up for a more 'sensible' car or a Y, but what other car gives you a view like this from the drivers seat, or look so mad even when just doing the daily chore of picking up kids??

44989352691_fcb049c084_c_d.jpg

44946045532_48d3d04bf7_c_d.jpg

People worry about things like the FWDs, but for me those are the things why I love our X. The Model 3 could be any car from any brand who makes a small saloon, but there is literally no other car out there like the X. After all how many of us didn't dream of been an astronaut when we were kids. Our X makes me smile like no other car I have ever owned:).

Last edited:
That's astounding... would you mind sharing any costs associated with maintenance and repairs (if any) of your X?

How often do tires last on the X? Can one expect 40-50k miles?
@docboy - I just wanted to say, while reading some of the responses to your original post, that this is the very reason why I found it so important to shop directly from the Tesla inventory. I don't want to worry about paying for any maintenance issues for the next 4 years/50k miles.

Reactions: docboy
Purchased an Oct 2016 MXP100D w/47K on the website at the end of Feb 2020. No issues so far except a piece of trim that wouldn't stay tucked in to the body like it should which increases the drag coefficient. Service center replaced the entire piece of trim under warranty after only a 30 minute wait, and I was a walk in. Can't complain about that. Biggest plus of the MX for me is the ability to tow my fishing boat. Love it! The acceleration while towing a boat is unbelievable. You don't even feel the boat. The down side (for me) is now owning a car that's nice enough to want to keep very clean, so I've increased my chores at home. Since the car is still very new to me, I try not to drive it in the rain (haha), so I only wash it about once a month or so. It looks so much nicer when it's just washed and vacuumed! And of course no ICE cars can keep up with me. That's pretty cool too. No FWD issues. Still has the new smell in it!

Reactions: GoCanes