Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Rental (Socal/LAX area)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

satoshi

Electrical Engineer
Jan 29, 2016
United States
As far as I'm aware, the model X is not available for rent anywhere. (Also turo.com/relay rides restricts tesla rentals to people aged 30 and above, I am over 21, but not over 30).

Honestly, I'd rather rent a model S, but any Tesla vehicle would be nice to rent for a day so if someone is willing to do a private rental of a Model X please private message me with the following details:

1. Rate
2. Preferred payment method
3. Specific Requests on how you'd prefer your car handled.
4. Where to pickup/return

I'm willing to ride public transport (and/or uber) up to 2 hours from LAX to meet at your house for the 1 day rental (5/10 noon to 5/11 noon).

Please and thank you for your time,

Satosh

P.s. Purpose of my visit to Socal is to pickup airbags for a model S I'm rebuilding... it's complicated but the transaction must be completed in person apparently.

But if your goal is to check out handling, 30 minutes is better than zero minutes. :)

Ok, next issue: Test drives become test rides because I'm not of the requisite age. I believe I stated this at the beginning of the thread?:

As far as I'm aware, the model X is not available for rent anywhere. (Also turo.com/relay rides restricts tesla rentals to people aged 30 and above, I am over 21, but not over 30).

Last edited:
You can call and ask if you can rent the X, they let others do it previously

Their response:

"I've been looking into the rental option with our Model Xes. I haven't been able to find a viable option that allows us to rent them out for payment, with appropriate insurance.

With Bjørn, I'm a big fan of his work, and therefore I lent it to him as goodwill. He was added to my personal insurance at the time, and I wore the cost as it was technically a marketing exercise.

They will be introduced into our fleet fairly soon, once the PUC has approved them and we have the appropriate permits. Then they will be available for hire with a chauffeur.

Thanks for your interest. I assure you I will continue to look into the rental option and for a way to rent them out without a driver."

The first 2 have a minimum age requirement of 21, so it should work for you

Those are $900/day ridiculously expensive. (I also don't have that much budgeted for this trip).

Turo has listings around $200/day... that would be reflective of an agreeable market price. (This falls within allowed budget).

Thank you again though for your assistance.

Last edited:
Lol good luck finding someone at 200 a day. Make 200 to risk a problem for a 100k limited car... Doubtful.

There are 14 people on turo willing to rent a $100k car for as low as $139/day and as high as $270/day with a good median being around $215/day.

For the model X, there are none listed so I have no market to compare for you but as both are $100k cars, it's comparable.

(Re: Since it's a 30+ rule, not your demographic as you're not that age)

The rule is set by Turo/Relay Rides, the prices are indicative of the rates people are willing to rent post-turo Comission. I'd be willing to bet a number of those people would be happy to rent sans turo comission to me if I had a means of contacting them.

Last edited: