Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Resale Value with XPEL Wrap & Modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to get my 2018 Model X wrapped with an XPEL stealth coat. I’m also looking to get a chrome delete done, light ceramic coat on top of the wrap, and possible powder coat the wheels & paint the calipers.

Quite a bit of customization and I wanted to know if anyone has done the same. If so, have you heard/experienced what the resale value is like? This is my first car so I’m a noob to begin with. Also, I’d love to hear what you had done & thoughts on what I plan to do.

Still debating on the services I plan to have done. At the very least the wrap and ceramic coating.

The thing with aftermarket mods is that they add little or nothing to resale value down the road. You might get a little bit more if you find someone in the Tesla community who's looking for these exact mods, but if you trade-in or sell to Tesla or Carmax you'll get zero extra.

I did full Xpel wrap (regular, not stealth), Opticoat, powdercoated brakes, and painted 20" wheels (but eventually swapped out to 22" turbines).

Somewhere on this forum, there were a couple threads about group buys for wrapping services. I did not use them and don't know if they were worth it. And it was in Los Angeles. They may have something similar going on on the East Coast too. Might be worth digging around a bit. But I concur with @commasign, don't expect to see a return on those mods when selling the car.
And, before you spend money on painting the calipers, you may want to consider coating the large window surfaces, so your AC doesn't have to work as hard and temperature differences throughout the car (depending from where the sun is shining into it) are minimized.

A few posts here said Tesla was taking $5k off the trade-in value for these kind of mods (wraps in particular). I assume the right private buyer might like it, but you might be limiting the number of potential buyers. I wouldn't think a ceramic coating would be noticeable enough to rate a ding in the trade-in price. If you can remove the wrap that should save the $5k ding as well.

I wouldnt expect any of those mods aregoing to add any value. If anything, if they used a cheap clear or the wrapped chrome peels it looks terrible. The only modification that might add value would be a set of light forged rims. The cheaper wheels and tires though are heavier than the stock wheels and do more harm than good.

Reactions: NoSoup4U!
In most cases it will decrease your car's value, mods are too personal. Whenever I mod, I make sure the mods are removable in the future. Xpel will be harder to remove than vinyl wrap. Vinyl wrap is so easy to remove in the summer. I don't recommend powder coating the factory wheels. Just get aftermarket wheels.

I’m looking to get my 2018 Model X wrapped with an XPEL stealth coat. I’m also looking to get a chrome delete done, light ceramic coat on top of the wrap, and possible powder coat the wheels & paint the calipers.

Quite a bit of customization and I wanted to know if anyone has done the same. If so, have you heard/experienced what the resale value is like? This is my first car so I’m a noob to begin with. Also, I’d love to hear what you had done & thoughts on what I plan to do.

Still debating on the services I plan to have done. At the very least the wrap and ceramic coating.

Thank you for considering XPEL to protect your X, the STEALTH film looks amazing on them. The ceramic coating and wheel treatment may not add any value to the vehicle but the full wrap should. Let me explain. By wrapping your vehicle with PPF (paint protection film) you are protecting your investment at the same time. The film will protect the vehicle from damage, chips, scratches, and more. Wear and tear, damage to the paint, and other damage like that can affect the value someone is willing to give to a car, including a dealership valuation. By walking in with protected paint, you're essentially cutting any reconditioning time/costs that the dealership may have. Same goes for a private sale, the new owner may already have a wish list of things to do to their Tesla, ie, paint protection film. By having it on the vehicle already, you save the future buyer time and money. You may not get every dollar you put into the PPF when you trade/sell, but it should help the value. PLUS - the entire time you own the vehicle you get peace of mind when driving, ease of maintenance, and protected paint. Win Win.

Reactions: commasign
They always say the newest protective films don't yellow but they always do. I use it on the front and other areas prone to damage, other than that leave it. Love Xpel but I bet in 10 years it will need to be replaced.

I recently took our X to carmax for appraisal and they made the comment: Since you have a full Xpel wrap, we can't really confirm your paint is in good condition.

Xpel has saved me from 3 door dings and a lot of what would have been road rash on the front but does little for "perceived" resale value.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
I recently took our X to carmax for appraisal and they made the comment: Since you have a full Xpel wrap, we can't really confirm your paint is in good condition.

Xpel has saved me from 3 door dings and a lot of what would have been road rash on the front but does little for "perceived" resale value.

That's very interesting. We've never heard that stance on the film hiding the paint condition. We're willing to bet a private seller would appreciate the full wrap.

Reactions: ps004ynos

**What did you decide to do, I just got mine and I'm not driving it till I figure out which way to go, which is killing me, but I have had 3 cars prior to this one that the front end looks like a war zone, My x is black, so I'm trying to figure out whether I want to go Stealth Matt black or just do the clear expel wrap

Apologies for the delayed response all. I had an issue with my account. I did read everything you all said as it was posted and I ended up getting the wrap! Thank you very much for all of the insight!

I went with the XPEL Stealth Wrap, Ceramic Coat (XPEL), chrome delete, painted the calipers red, and wrapped the emblems red. Listen... Merlin (my Model X) is looking sexy! - I’ll post some pics soon.

For future readers I spent a total of $6800 to have the work done.

The XPEL wrap with their new Ceramic Coat is fantastic. Was it pricey, yes, but I feel it’s well worth it. It’s already saved me on trips from rock chips and acidic big guys. The wrap truly accentuates the body lines.

In the NYC area I had the work done with Exclusive Vinyl (Exclusive Vinyl | Best car vinyl wrapping shop. Everglass clear bra coating, detailing, customizing, powder coating, and other services available. New York, Miami.). If you go there, ask for Roman... he’s the man. He was professional, accommodated my plethora of questions, and did a bang up job. Highly recommend him & Exclusive.

Reactions: XPEL
**What did you decide to do, I just got mine and I'm not driving it till I figure out which way to go, which is killing me, but I have had 3 cars prior to this one that the front end looks like a war zone, My x is black, so I'm trying to figure out whether I want to go Stealth Matt black or just do the clear expel wrap

I highly recommend going with it. The ease of mind and asthmatic quality are worth it IMO. If you can’t afford everything at once, break it up. But, definitely get it!

Apologies for the delayed response all. I had an issue with my account. I did read everything you all said as it was posted and I ended up getting the wrap! Thank you very much for all of the insight!

I went with the XPEL Stealth Wrap, Ceramic Coat (XPEL), chrome delete, painted the calipers red, and wrapped the emblems red. Listen... Merlin (my Model X) is looking sexy! - I’ll post some pics soon.

For future readers I spent a total of $6800 to have the work done.

The XPEL wrap with their new Ceramic Coat is fantastic. Was it pricey, yes, but I feel it’s well worth it. It’s already saved me on trips from rock chips and acidic big guys. The wrap truly accentuates the body lines.

In the NYC area I had the work done with Exclusive Vinyl (Exclusive Vinyl | Best car vinyl wrapping shop. Everglass clear bra coating, detailing, customizing, powder coating, and other services available. New York, Miami.). If you go there, ask for Roman... he’s the man. He was professional, accommodated my plethora of questions, and did a bang up job. Highly recommend him & Exclusive.

Forgot to mention that they ceramic coated the wheels and glass as well! I believe a special was running at the time so idk if that’s still being offered.

Reactions: XPEL
Do it :p
20190513_180642.jpg
"GalaxySurfer" 3M Super Deep Matte Black, Chrome delete, Ceramic coat, Carbon fiber accents.